PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Forest Path

Svunnig
08-18-2003, 04:35 PM
PLEASE EDIT AND ADD WIREFRAMES AS ACCORDING TO THE RULES

This is my first post on the focused forum. Please be gentle. Not too gentle though. I need the critique.

http://home.ab-online.nu/ab001280/forestpath.jpg (http://home.ab-online.nu/ab001280/path.avi)

This scene is going to be in an animated short film that gagn and I are working on.
Details are found here (http://62.119.100.203/~gagu02/showreel/).

Software used:
Maya 4.5
Maya Fusion 3.0

Renderer:
Maya Software with GI_Joe script.

Details for the linked animation:
Size: 640 x 480, 912 Kb
Codec: DivX 5.05
Lenght: 4 seconds

PLEASE EDIT AND ADD WIREFRAMES AS ACCORDING TO THE RULES

Sciatica
08-19-2003, 03:21 AM
Your scene is looking pretty good so far... a few things I noticed was

1) The texture on the pole, laying across the rock, looks like its UV maps are off.. as it appears like the texture is getting stretched around the object.

2) Im not sure if the effect on the tree leaves was intentional, but based on the realism factor of the rest of the scene, I think the leaves throw it off.. I don't know if I could suggest using paint effects for the leaves, since I havent had to much experience with paint effects other than for hair.. perhaps somebody else could suggest an effective way of creating leaves.

3) lastly.. it appears like some of the grass is floating above the path... perhaps if you put a shadow coming off those few blades, it would help distinguish where they are actually growing from...

I do really love the lighting in the scene though... I have yet to check out your film details.. the background almost gives an essence of stopmotion animation... Like any second we should see some little rodent, walking on his hind legs, made out of clay, come sauntering into the scene..
I think it also has to do with the fact that the blur on the back hill is rather strong... When focusing just on a basic landscape scene such as this.. there would be no visable blur on a hill that close... If your going for realism, I would lessen the blur significantly... If your going for a more cartoony look, I would suggest keeping it, as it creates that typical stopmotion effect to the scene... If you are familiar with the effect, they often blur the background, to help bring definetion to the charecters.. (Im guessing :))

Im rather tired.. so I hope that made sense :)

lala7
08-19-2003, 11:51 PM
oooh really beautyfull ... only the leaves in the back seem to glow a bit .. but man ... i like this :thumbsup:
also tired .. :surprised ill def check
the movie tomorrow... zzz gn

Sciatica
08-20-2003, 12:18 AM
<giggles> I just read your details on the film. I totally called that rodent thing :) :buttrock: :buttrock:

Svunnig
08-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. That meant a lot.

Razorwolf
08-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Great work, it looks really really cool. I have the same comments, the pole and the background don't look too well but the rest is magnificent !

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.