PDA

View Full Version : renderman combined with mental ray

MonteNero
11-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Hello!
I was reading some articles about studios that use pixar's renderman in conjunction with mental ray.
Does it mean they connect them programmably? Something like caching raytracing and GI and than rendering them in renderman? Or we talk about custom hybrid render?
Or its just rendering one pass in mental and another in renderman? 0_o

Sincrol
11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
well... renderman can actually render a nice GI... ( point based. )

we do use the combination of both here sometimes... renderman for almos everything..
and mentalray for Fluids... GI, caustics... reflection of geomtry without displacement.. etc..

its simple man, study both, try to find what are they good for, and just render THAT.
at the end, ull combine it, and will be beautiful.

MonteNero
11-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi, Rodrigo.
My question wasnt about wich render two study, I was wondering if there are companies that connect this renders and transfer data from one two another.

Sincrol
11-15-2009, 11:18 PM
well. ill tell you right now, study BOTH... because both are fantastic! and once u understand the fundamentals of One, the other become much more easier...

and about the connectiong between them, well... here we render one thing from one, and another frim from another... and at the end of the day, we composite them together...

one thing very common we do here is rendering verything with displacemente/particles/fur with renderman and all the tracing with mental ray... both with their on GI... at compositing we do the final touches to match everything perfectly.

its a much more better way i thing...

MonteNero
11-16-2009, 09:24 AM
OMG, man... I DO NOT question wich render to study...(read post with attention please)
I fill comfortable with both renders mental and 3delight renderman.
P.S I read that Framestore combined renderman and mental, they calculated raytracing in MR and some how rendered everything in renderman (I believe that is not simple layer/pass workflow?)

mustique
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I donno exactly what workflow Framestore uses, but it sounds like a renderjob script that gathers rendered passes and opens them as a macro/gizmo in shake/nuke whatever...

I don't think there's an uber frame renderer, that can magically combine the best of both renderers. Just because tweaking passes in post is always preffered.

kiryha
11-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I guess that framestore has its own pipeline for this task and it much more complex and dificult to achieve than i can imagine) Something like " we just take the result data of raytracing in MR and use it for calculations in RM"
But there is some trix accessible fo everybody. At first it s of corse rendering some passes in RM and some passes in MR and combining them at compose stage. Also you can render scene in MR without displacement and motion blur (but with raytracing), and than rerender this scene in RM with MB and displacement using rendered sequence as camera proection(so u can combine major benefits of each render- fast raytracing of MR with fast and quality MB and displacement of RM)

MonteNero
11-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey guys, thanks for ur replies!
Kiryha, thats a very nice idea to use camera projection! (though not sure that u can use displacements on projection because it will require some additional shading and shadows)
Feel much better now :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2009, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.