PDA

View Full Version : Updating external text files

cuse
08-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I've got a site that needs to be translated and all the text in it was going to be loaded in through .txt files.

However, with .txt files the character spacing is fixed at 0 and i need to alter that every now and then, i hear through xml i could change it?

Is that the best way, or does anyone recommend something else? The text is only about 2 a4 pages but would be updated frequently... any ideas?

thanks

cuse

cuse
08-19-2003, 02:55 PM
nada?

monotypic
08-31-2003, 03:12 AM
do you mean its going to be translated automaticly by something? or is there someone who'se going to translate it for you and then give it back to you as a txt file?

cuse
09-08-2003, 01:24 PM
hi,

They would send it to me as a txt file...

cuse

Ian Jones
09-09-2003, 11:12 AM
I was reading about this sort of stuff and xml parsing of text files over at www.actionscript.org recently. Hope that helps.

driverjase
09-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Check out the Strings Panel (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/productinfo/features/static_tour/publishing/index.html#04) in Flash MX 2004.

It sounds like exactly what you need if you feel like upgrading.

cuse
09-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Bugger that looks exactly like what i need... i just dont want to be slowed down further by having to get to grips with a new flash ;)

Damn, looks like it could be the solution though. thanks...

cuse

nathanielbell
09-21-2003, 02:18 PM
I guess I dont understand why you want to change the character spacing. But If this helps I do alot of sites where the front end is flash and the text is loaded from external txt files. Then I have a login site with a flash file on it that you can edit the txt file through and it updates to the flash front end. I do it using perl. I saw someone doing something very similar in a book called "Server Side Flash" if thats something like what your looking for. It will work in flash 5 to, since all of the editing is being done in perl and flash is just loading the file to be looked at.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.