PDA

View Full Version : Baseball stadium

Applestarr
11-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm building a baseball stadium and was wondering how to start. Is it best to use curves to outline first or to create a plane or something and move points. I'm trying to do the infield first. Maya 09

Mr. D
11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Hello
Having built a few before I'd advise start by laying out the field, its surrounding walls and the backstop and dugouts. Reason I find it easier is that stadiums are built around a field's layout. Having the playing field dimensioned out correctly will make it easier for you to see how the stadium and it's seating fit around the field.

Mr. D

Applestarr
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks for that advice but I was really wanting to know what was the best method for getting this done.

Mr. D
11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Hello

Go on web look for info on your stadium, you should be able to find one that shows field dimensions and wall heights. Hopefully some sites can also give you information on stadium elevation data. Also get as many pictures of the stadium as you can find. More popular the stadium more info you will find. Look for who constructed the stadium, go to their site see what they got, also team site for stadium. Also look for fan sites.
Many will not have much data but you'll find some. Layout the field then look for data on warning track dimensions, add it in then the walls (some site should have wall height dimensions). From there start building the lower deck, if you can't locate blueprints you'll spend time looking at your photos and have fun making a guess. Such as the field is 300 feet across, those left bleachers are about a quater that distance. So you'll build them back 75 feet. And that's how it will go if you can not locate proper blueprints, you'll look and you'll guess and correct as you find out more.
If this is something you want really nice and correctly dimension, go on line and search book sellers such as Amazon for anything that might have for sale.
In this post 9/11 world a number of very public buildings, such as a lot of stadiums, have removed information about their layout and structure. So getting information on such buildings will not be as easy as it once was.

Mr. D

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.