PDA

View Full Version : Art Instruction School

vicmonty
11-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Okay, so I got my schedule for next year and I will be at sea a great deal! So, traditional schooling isn't an option, because my job moves me contstantly. I was thinking of doing distance education. Any takers? Well, I always remember "The Art Instruction Schools". Shultz supposedly took their lessons...Anyway, does anyone know if their lessons or methods work. They send out assignments and you send them back and they send you their feedback. A lot like Bobby Chiu's crew, I can't remember what the school is called. That site just does everything online and at least you know they're working professionals who know what they're doing.
My question is, for a guy in my shoes who has limited internet activity at sea, I'll be there 6-8 months out of the year, should I bother looking into a distance learning course? Mail is no problem. Suprisingly it's rather quick. E-mail is not dependable. Lunatique gave me a great list of books to take with me and some routines to do to study on my own. Will the Art Instruction Schools help or be worth the money? Please somebody tell me you know someone who took lessons with them...

Oh, by the way, I want to become an illustrator working in the Sci Fi/Fantasy genre. So figure drawing is my main focus right now. Thanks to Robert for the Loomis tips.

vicmonty
11-16-2009, 09:02 PM
no breplies? is that a bad thing for the school?

paulmcg1
11-16-2009, 11:22 PM
I took the Art Instruction School course when I was 15. Sadly, I never finished it. Drawing just wasn't for me. Schultz did take this. I think if you want to dish out extra cash on it, go for it! But I'd just be weary of spending money on this school when you could read cheap books yourself. The school pretty much gives you the things you would have in a few books you could cheaply afford.

Anyways, my recommendation would be: If you feel like you need to have a degree or certificate on your resume, then you might want to do something like this. Or find some way to go to a physical school. If you think you can still get to where you want too being more of a self-taught kinda guy, then do that! I definetely would do this myself as it's the least expensive way to go.

Hope this helps.

sundialsvc4
11-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Maybe it depends mostly on what kind of reinforcement and feedback you need.

Obviously, it worked well enough for Schulz that he not only completed the course work but subsequently worked there. (Yet, he spoke rather disparagingly about the papers that he had to grade. Perhaps the real advantage to him was being there.)

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2009, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.