PDA

View Full Version : New book: "How to get a Job in Computer Animation"

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey everybody, I just finished writing a book called “How to get a Job in Computer Animation.”
Check it out: http://www.edharriss.com/getajob

This book is filled with hundreds of tips and tricks on: How to create the perfect demo reel, where to find jobs, how much you should be paid, creating a portfolio, how to write good cover letters and resumes, freelancing, choosing the right job, picking an animation school, how to find unadvertised jobs, creating a self-promotional website and much, much more.

This book also includes the world's largest and most comprehensive publicly available directory of computer animation houses and video game production facilities anywhere. Since it is geared toward 3D animators, you won't find any 2D production or claymation companies listed in there. Also, you won't find any companies that do animatronics, equipment rental, FX makeup, physical props, or anything else that is not directly 3D animation related. What you will find are: Game, Multi-media and New-media companies. Movie, Commercial and Television FX companies. Architectural, Medical and Industrial Visualization companies. This list is filled with thousands of pure jobs prospects.

This book is the culmination of over 4 years of research and hard work. I interviewed dozens people during the writing of this book. From people that work at small and medium sized shops all the way up to the big boys at places like ILM, EA, Blizzard and Pixar.

For more information, as well as sample pages, please visit the "How to get a Job in Computer Animation" website. http://www.edharriss.com/getajob

P.S. If you are having trouble getting to the site: Here is (sort of) a mirror.
http://www.booksurge.com/author.php...liateID=A000335
Its just the booksurge selling page. All the information from my web page is not on there. (Like the book excerpts and the background information.)

CGmonkey
08-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Very, very interesting for a newbie in the industry such as myself!

spm
08-18-2003, 02:01 PM
they need to re-print the book. i found a re-typed line while briefly looking through the contenst of the book :P. how many typos will there be IN the book? :)

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Reprinting is not a problem. Its a print on demand book. So, it does not get printed till you order it. I'll fix the typo. Chances are it won't be there next time someone orders it. I had the book proofread by a pro. Obviously they missed something. Nobodys perfect. :) Until now, I didn't think there were any typos in the book.

Wilson-3d
08-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Looks like a nice book. You can't beat the price! Most of the time a directory alone is going to run you $70.00 plus.

Dargon
08-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by spm
they need to re-print the book. i found a re-typed line while briefly looking through the contenst of the book :P. how many typos will there be IN the book? :)

There's a freakin typo in your complaint, learn how to spell, then you can be critical.

jason-slab
08-18-2003, 02:57 PM
looks like it will be a good read, nice contribution to the industry ed:thumbsup:

good luck with it!!

|jason

John Keates
08-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Looks helpfull.

Is the directory only for America or is it relevant for English people too?

JamesDeschenes
08-18-2003, 03:08 PM
I read the sample excerpt.. looks like a useful book.:thumbsup:

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your compliments everybody!

John Keates: The directory has companies from all over the world. Not just the USA. I did not limit it to any specific area. :) ...and it grows every day. I add new companies and delete the ones that went out of business. Ahhhh, the beauty of on-demand printing.

Wilson 3d: Thanks!! I priced it low because the two types or people that really need this book are usually low on money. (Students and Unemployed). I can't help them get a job if they can't afford the book. ;)

pinion3d
08-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by EdHarriss
Thanks for your compliments everybody!

...and it grows every day. I add new companies and delete the ones that went out of business.

This book is looking really cool, just one question... if the book is purchased will there be a resource for everyone who brought it to find the additions and deletions of companies?

Thanks for the hard work!

???
08-18-2003, 03:20 PM
I would buy your book for less then 3,581 yen

spm
08-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Dargon
There's a freakin typo in your complaint, learn how to spell, then you can be critical.

im not selling my comments to ppl. mind your own.

JahnkeKong
08-18-2003, 03:31 PM
^^^ nice attitude there buddy.

Anyways, Ed congrats on getting the book out, and it sounds awesome! I'll be getting one for sure!

vfx
08-18-2003, 03:43 PM
It's such a shame that theres such a limited purchase choice for this book, I could do with it now, I was ready to place my order, but to ship it to the uk, Surge added a whooping 29$ for delivery so I can't afford $58 for this paperback.

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 04:14 PM
pinion3d: I'm working on some way to make updates available to previous customers. I'll let you know what I come up with.

vfx: It will be on Amazon eventually. I've already submitted the paperwork. But they are slow at adding new titles. It is strange that they would add so much for shipping to the UK. Booksurge has got an on-demand facility in Bristol. I'll look into having them sell it.

Those of you that are in the UK (or anywhere else in Europe) and want to be notified when the Bristol facility is offering it, please sign up for my mailing list (http://www.edharriss.com/mail-list.htm). I'll notify you as soon as it is ready.

Mail list:
http://www.edharriss.com/mail-list.htm

PhilWesson
08-18-2003, 04:15 PM
totally getting mine as soon as my check clears. I think this is a great idea, as i've never known which houses are near me. (heck i JUST found out that i was close to blue sky, who knows what else!).
There was a good question posted... If there will be a database, or resource about the status of houses that people who buy the book can access afterwards... Any news on that?

jHromika
08-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Just ordered a copy, can't wait to read the rest of it!! :thumbsup:

tjnyc
08-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Great stuff Ed, just ordered my copy. You're a great assest to the community.

Regards,

- T

Lee3dee
08-18-2003, 04:29 PM
purchasing the book later today. Your example chapters were very imformative :). I'll be adding it to my collection :).

btw, is it better to make a demo reel different for each job you are applying for. say for example, I was applying for a modeling job in a game company, would I only put my low poly models on the reel, or would i put some animation in there in a few clips. Or if I thought it was great animation, but it really wasn't, would that kill my chances of getting the job. Do you cover this in the book?

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks everybody! I know you are going to enjoy this book!

Originally posted by Hirigashi
btw, is it better to make a demo reel different for each job you are applying for. say for example, I was applying for a modeling job in a game company, would I only put my low poly models on the reel, or would i put some animation in there in a few clips. Or if I thought it was great animation, but it really wasn't, would that kill my chances of getting the job. Do you cover this in the book?

Yes, it is better for you to make a different demo reel for different types of jobs. (But you don't need a different one for every job you apply for.)

Yes this is covered in the book. It is in Chapter 3: Demo Reel Designing on pages 53-55 under: Multiple versions, Specialized Design Options, and Should I specialize or generalize my reel?

KotsVlok
08-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much for your fantastic efford in the CG industry, Ed Harris :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As soon as my salary check comes in, i'll probably buy it :)

bentllama
08-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Nice work Ed!

:beer:

Asorson
08-18-2003, 05:58 PM
I can't get to your website, it says too many users connected. You might want to make sure you have enough bandwidth to handle all this traffic, could be losing potential customers.

JasonA
08-18-2003, 06:01 PM
This will definitely be a must-buy book, looks like it'll have alot of GREAT information.

I second what pinion said about having a way to update the list of 3d companies, so people buying edition 1 are out in the dust after a month or two!

I think it would make the book an even more solid investment for the people who might not be in the job market for a while yet.

FatAssasin
08-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Can't get on the site, too many users.

manutara
08-18-2003, 06:23 PM
HTTP Error 403
403.9 Access Forbidden: Too many users are connected

This error can be caused if the Web server is busy and cannot process your request due to heavy traffic. Please try to connect again later.

Please contact the Web server's administrator if the problem persists.

:shrug: :shrug:

SheepFactory
08-18-2003, 06:42 PM
I picked up this book from Ed at siggraph and been reading it since.

I have to say its a must buy for everyone who is trying to break into the industry , every section is very detailed and nothing is left out.

Its worth the price just for the huge industry directory at the back.

JahnkeKong
08-18-2003, 06:43 PM
heheheh ed wasn't prepared for the onslaught that is cgtalk! Rar fear us!!

Signal2Noise
08-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Ed, if you will be fixing typos and such on a per order basis then we can certainly consider that each book will be a Collector's Edition!

Might want to add that in your sales blurb...;)

tredeger
08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Somebody mirror that page. Ed's poor server is learning that popularity looks a lot like a denial of service attack ;-)

Been looking forward to this one for a while. Guess I'm still looking forward to it till the traffic dies down a little. Kudos to the general attitude you've demonstrated over the years in making your contributions to the community useful, valuable, available, etc. That is a terrifically generous price on a book that I'm sure took a lot of work.

I think if you updated the database online, you'd serve previous customers well. Making the entire database available this way probably will hurt book sales. BUT if you just put up the updates only, then the database will really only be useful as a companion to the book. This might be the optimal solution.

I haven't been able to get into the site yet, so i don't know if you have any plans for digital resources, but it seems an electronic version of the directory on CD-ROM might be worthwhile. Perhaps available as an additional paid option, so that it wouldn't impact the low price of the standard book?

Anyway, much thanks for the time and effort.

kitratzi,
Jazz

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by broodingwolf
heheheh ed wasn't prepared for the onslaught that is cgtalk! Rar fear us!!

Whoops!!! To many people. I did not expect that.
I'm talking to my host now.
Hopefully it will be back up soon.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
08-18-2003, 07:17 PM
My initial reaction was that it's a little depressing that there's enough people who can't get a job in the industry that justifies a whole book just to getting a job in CG.

But it really looks like an excellent resource, particularly the freelance stuff. I may have to consider delaying that MEL book I was gonna buy. :)

psyop63b
08-18-2003, 07:17 PM
I read your reply to vfx that you'll be offering the book on Amazon soon (once they handle their end.) but this book is being professionally published right? (as opposed to self-published?) Will you be able to get a copy at the bookstore?

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Here is (sort of) a mirror.
http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3?accountID=IMPR02337&affiliateID=A000335

Its just the booksurge selling page. All the information from my web page is not on there. (Like the book excerpts and the background information.)

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 07:23 PM
psyop63b: You will eventually be able to get a copy at the bookstore, but it will be months before that happens.

Wigaru: Believe it or not, there is enough information on how to get a job in computer animation for a book. Many people just don't know how hard it can be. (With out the proper preperation.)

FatAssasin
08-18-2003, 07:24 PM
I haven't been able to see the excerps yet, but I was just wondering, if this is printed on demand why even bother with printing it? Offer it as a downloadable .pdf document and save the printing costs all together. That's more money in your pocket and a quicker turn around for the customer. Just a thought.

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by FatAssasin
I haven't been able to see the excerps yet, but I was just wondering, if this is printed on demand why even bother with printing it? Offer it as a downloadable .pdf document and save the printing costs all together. That's more money in your pocket and a quicker turn around for the customer. Just a thought.

I thought about that, but I think that the piracy issue would destroy any profits. Also, people like a book that they can cary with them. I've ordered PDF books before and personally they just don't do it for me.

Pin_pal
08-18-2003, 07:39 PM
How to get a Job in Computer Animation? Simple, its something called talent. You don't need a book for that.

Jensen
08-18-2003, 07:41 PM
It seems like a useful book, but in reality if you bought a book that tought you the finer points of animation then that would help you get a job in the industry as well. The way they name the book makes it sound like it helps you submit your résumé or something like that.

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JVI i k e l
It seems like a useful book, but in reality if you bought a book that tought you the finer points of animation then that would help you get a job in the industry as well. The way they name the book makes it sound like it helps you submit your résumé or something like that.

The book does help you submit your résumé. In fact there is an entire chapter on résumés and cover letters. As well as loads of information on how to submit them, who to submit them to and where to submit them.

How to get a Job in Computer Animation? Simple, its something called talent. You don't need a book for that.

I wish it were that simple. I would have spent my time writing a different book. There are lot of people out there with talent that can't get work. If you can't put together a decent demo reel and get it to the right people, you won't get a job no matter how talented you are.

JasonA
08-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Wigaru Wiyamoto
My initial reaction was that it's a little depressing that there's enough people who can't get a job in the industry that justifies a whole book just to getting a job in CG.
And just think about how tough it will be once we all have this book, and are employing the same strategies to get a job!
:D

ok I'm just kidding, obviously there's more to it than that.

Ed, did you see my comment about the online updated company directory?

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by JasonA
Ed, did you see my comment about the online updated company directory?

That's a good idea. I'm working out a way to give people updated information, but I have not decided how I will do it just yet. But there will be some sort of solution. I will keep yours, and others, in mind.

lildragon
08-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Ed whenever you're ready bud.

-lild

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 08:32 PM
It appears that my web host has fixed my bandwidth problem. :)

Array
08-18-2003, 09:07 PM
So THIS is what you've been doing all this time.

I'm wondering though.....with a quickly changing industry such as computer graphics, are you not worried about how long your book will remain relevant? Are you planning to release future editions as information becamse innacurate?

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Yep! That's why I've been sooooo busy lately.

Yes, I am concerned that the book might become outdated quickly. That is why I went for the on-demand printing process. Not only does it allow me to fix errors and remove outdated material but it also allows me to add new information that did not exsist when the book was first written. All these changes will be reflected the next time someone orders a book. I can fix something on Monday and the books ordered on Tuesday will have the changes. On-demand printing rules!

FatAssasin
08-18-2003, 09:14 PM
I was also wondering, why gear the book specifically towards animators? Is getting a job as a CG animator really that different than getting a job as a CG artist in general? Seems like with a few tweaks to the title and text, plus some additions as far as schools and such, you could expand you market considerably.

DZL
08-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by pinion3d
This book is looking really cool, just one question... if the book is purchased will there be a resource for everyone who brought it to find the additions and deletions of companies?

Thanks for the hard work!

good question - that would be a great resource for people looking to buy the book - maybe a website with a username/password for people who bought the book?

EdHarriss
08-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by FatAssasin
I was also wondering, why gear the book specifically towards animators? Is getting a job as a CG animator really that different than getting a job as a CG artist in general? Seems like with a few tweaks to the title and text, plus some additions as far as schools and such, you could expand you market considerably.

I guess it could be, but getting a job as a CG artist (like photoshop artist or 2d animator) might be a little too far away from the focus. (Getting a job as a 3d artist.) I had, in fact, written it at first with a more general theme but my test audience kept telling me that it was "too spread out." You've got a good idea though. Since it currently covers the 3d world pretty well: Modelers, Animators, Tds, Generalists, etc... I think that I've got enough ground covered. At least this time.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, there is a list of schools in the book, but it is not anywhere near as large as the company listings.

BlueCougar
08-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Just bought my copy. Thanks Ed for your time and effort.

Kenn

Sky_DaBomB
08-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Ed, is it gonna hit Amazon soon? Cos we can save a few bucks free shipping over there.
If it's not gonna happen soon, I just get one now over Booksurge.com.
Thanks

DePingus
08-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for Amazon to purchase...no Amex at Booksurge! Oh well...
BTW, page 73 The Gallerie Abominate :applause:

holosynthetic
08-19-2003, 02:41 AM
i don't buy books much, but if it can make getting into the industry a bit easier just by allowing me to make a correct cover sheet and demo reel then its worth the money

i ordered my copy a few minutes ago

EdHarriss
08-19-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Sky_DaBomB
Ed, is it gonna hit Amazon soon? Cos we can save a few bucks free shipping over there.
If it's not gonna happen soon, I just get one now over Booksurge.com.
Thanks
I wish I knew. I've already submitted my paperwork and paid my fees. They say it can take a couple of weeks. I've asked them a couple of times if I could have a better answer but they keep saying the same thing. Sorry.

Originally posted by DePingus
Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for Amazon to purchase...no Amex at Booksurge! Oh well...
BTW, page 73 The Gallerie Abominate :applause:
DOH! Oh well, Amazon.com will get in gear sooner or later. I wish they were as responsive as booksurge. When I ask them for something, they do in no time at all. No such luck with Amazon.

Yea the The Gallerie Abominate! No book about CG is complete without at least a mention of it! "Gallerie Abominate" rules. :)

TheGreenGiant
08-19-2003, 06:17 AM
stupid comment for now.

I laughed out loud - probably one of the 1st times perusing this forum when I saw that link on the front page. Get a job indeed. Hilarious. I was sure it was a joke but now I'm not sure...

get rich scheme off the back of desperate CGI whipmonkeys who are already poor and some, who will consider working for free = evil. shouldn't something like this be free? Isn't it already offered on the forums in the discussion pages? Shouldn't it be a free pdf for download? I can't believe I sound this negative but I find the concept ridiculous.

Isn't the number 1 rule = be good? Jeremy Birn had a good 10 tips on his site and its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

DePingus
08-19-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
I laughed out loud - probably one of the 1st times perusing this forum when I saw that link on the front page. Get a job indeed. Hilarious. I was sure it was a joke but now I'm not sure...

get rich scheme off the back of desperate CGI whipmonkeys who are already poor and some, who will consider working for free = evil. shouldn't something like this be free? Isn't it already offered on the forums in the discussion pages? Shouldn't it be a free pdf for download? I can't believe I sound this negative but I find the concept ridiculous.

Isn't the number 1 rule = be good? Jeremy Birn had a good 10 tips on his site and its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
You can't possibly compare 10 tips to 500+ pages of detailed info. Besides, even Jeremy Birn writes books filled with information that can be found on the internet (after all, what CAN'T be found on the internet). Ed has taken the time to collect, catalogue, and compile this vast amount of info which might be obvious to a pro but not so to the unguided masses we call newbies. And he's done it for a very reasonable price. I think its a great resource!

3dArtToPart
08-19-2003, 07:06 AM
<deleted>

derelict
08-19-2003, 08:59 AM
On your site the book looks awfully good to me. Is there an awfully good chance that it will be available on the Amazon dot com soon? I awfully hope so. i awfully cant wait to have it on my paws. Thanks big big for the awfully good book!:beer:

shujumy
08-19-2003, 09:16 AM
nice idea. well done :thumbsup:

Zeio
08-19-2003, 10:07 AM
Very cool. Instead of the painful task of going through all the bookmarks and documents I've collected over the years, I can now just click "Checkout" and be done with it. Thanks ! lookin forward to my copy soon.

-Zeio

Lee3dee
08-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Ordered a copy a few moments ago. Looking forward to reading your book and get some much needed pointers on how to sell myself better ;)

Thx
Lee

wrs_anim8r
08-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Hey Ed,

If I buy your book, will you buy me lunch? I'll let ya autograph it!

-Me

JahnkeKong
08-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Who would want their lunch autographed by Ed? /boggle

EdHarriss
08-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by wrs_anim8r
Hey Ed,

If I buy your book, will you buy me lunch? I'll let ya autograph it!

-Me

Of course! Send me an e-mail and we'll set up a time. I'll bring my best "food pencil".

Hirigashi: thanks! Hope you enjoy it.

derelict: it will be on Amazon, but I'm not sure of the timeframe. Check earlier posts in the thread for more amazon info.

DePingus: Thanks for the support!

TheGreenGiant: You must be kidding. Honestly, if you have never had to look very hard for a job then I could almost understand your position. However, In the 11 years I've been doing CG I've helped hundreds of students (and a lot of pros as well) job hunt and let me tell you, most of them don't know jack about job hunting much less CG job hunting. Sure you can find a lot of info on the net, but like DePingus said, what can't be found on the internet? The time it would take you to find all the info I've written in this book would far outweigh the $29 cover price. I suspect that most Maya, XSI, 3dsMax, etc, books have info that can be found for free on the net too, yet people still buy them. Convenience always comes at a price. Did you even look at the sample pages?

tenjobara
08-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Ed, thank you for taking the time to write this book. To get a pro to "dish out" their hard won knowledge requires unbelievable amounts of time and commitment. This newbie thanks you :applause:

I will be ordering the book as soon as I get paid.

EdHarriss
08-20-2003, 02:36 AM
tenjobara, you are welcome.

Thanks to everyone. Both here and in the hundreds of wonderful e-mails that I have gotten since the book was released. I had no idea that it would produce such a positive reaction!

Thanks again.

JDex
08-20-2003, 02:50 AM
I had no idea that it would produce such a positive reaction!

Ahh, humble as always!!! Will be picking up a copy in the near future, thanks for all the great community support Ed, not to mention the XSI stuff too. :thumbsup:

alim
08-20-2003, 03:46 AM
Ive seen so many creative ppl get nowhere with their skills because they had not a clue about the business side of life..

This will surely be an asset and a great learning tool for the other skills (ie the ones that you cant press ctrl-z for to undo)!

just aquick q tho... i know its been mentioned before that u focussed on animation particularly buttt..

do you recommend the book to vfx/compositing ppl like myself as well? It seems that there would be an overlap in th info which could work..

oh and is the info in 'how much i should charge' and 'freelance' sections etc relevant to countries outside of US as well?

cheers !
:D

bjparch
08-20-2003, 07:21 AM
As a soon-to-be graduating student of 3D, I see this book as a huge stepping stone to finding a job. Just the list of studios alone is worth the price. Thanks for all the hard work.

How long is the wait for the book? I ordered it on Monday.

Sky_DaBomB
08-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Ed, I really dont mean to ruin your book or something but I just tried to search for your book on Amazon and I found this book. "How to Get a Job in 3D/Effects" by Sean Wagstaff. I really dont have any idea about this book. Just wondering if you had a chance to look at it and is your book much different than? Thanks
Here's the link to the book:
How to get a Job in 3D/Effects (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782142575/qid=1061360553/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2739960-1250410?v=glance&s=books)

Geckopunk83
08-20-2003, 09:51 AM
"Editorial Reviews..............From Dr. Phil"

http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0827/1635530.jpg
That Dr.Phil??

Its a shame im living on a college student bank account (ie.I have a bank account..just no money) maybe i can coax my folks into getting it for me seems definitly worth while..
good stuff Ed!
Im assuming the great white north here is included in the locations covered to

EdHarriss
08-20-2003, 02:35 PM
JDex: Thanks a lot!

alim: There is quite a lot of overlap in job hunting when it comes to compositing. I'm certain that the concepts in this book could be used by someone like you. As for vfx, there is plenty of info in this book that is directly related to that area. Yes, the 'how much i should charge' and 'freelance' sections are relevant to countries outside of the US. In fact, I had a guy from Australia help with most of the freelance section.

bjparch: BookSurge normally fulfills orders within 48 hours. So, it should only take a few days for your book to show up.

Sky_DaBomB: I have seen that book on Amazon. However, there is one major difference between my book and that one. Mine is done. That one isn't out yet. It was supposed to come out before mine, but the date keeps getting pushed back. I can't wait to see it. I want to read what other people have to say about this subject.

Geckopunk83: No not that Dr. Phil. Haha. I had no idea that Dr. Phil was a well known person. This is a totally different DR. Phil. (A long time animation instructor that wanted his last name left off of the quote.) Yes, there are plenty of companies in Canada in the book.

DiOrio
08-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Looks like a very thorough book for only $30. I'll have to buy a copy. Good job Ed.

PhilWesson
08-20-2003, 04:42 PM
bought my copy yesterday, sooo i'm thinking thursday?
thanks for doing this ed, its a really cool idea and a great way to give to those who are interested in 3D and trying to break in

hurst_graham
08-20-2003, 05:46 PM
hi Ed

great idea and from the looks of the sample pages a well executed book. One question though, I'm in the UK and noticed on the back page that there was a price of £17-95, which is great, can you confirm

a) this is the UK price
b) how do I get a hold of this valuable resource in the UK

thanks

Graham

pgp_protector
08-20-2003, 05:54 PM
<>

EdHarriss
08-20-2003, 10:25 PM
DiOrio: Thanks!

david225: I was just talking to booksurge and they said that it would print in less than 48 hours after your order and ship straight away. So unless there are delays in the mail Thursday sounds right to me. You are welcome!

hurst_graham: a) that price was calculated when I created the cover, the exchange rates may have shifted a little since then. However that price will be close to what you pay. b) I just asked the booksurge people about UK distro. I told them that people in the UK want it but don't want to pay the crazy shipping costs. They are taking care of it and will let me know when it is fixed. If you want to be notified when UK shipping is ready then sign up for my mailing list:
http://www.edharriss.com/mail-list.htm

raffael3d
08-22-2003, 05:13 PM
this is fantastic! for almost every job out there you can go to a library and find some help how to prepare yourself for job interviews etc, but not for CG. Now finally there is a book about it.
It's great that you no longer have to search the web and try to find a few little pieces and put them together and hope you might succeed, but finally there is a book that will cover it all. Thanks Ed! I can't wait to get my copy!

MadMax
08-24-2003, 12:57 AM
hmmmm....

Interesting.

CelticArtist
08-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Hey, just ordered my copy, I'm looking for work at the moment, so hopefully this will help me make sure i'm doing everything to the best of my abilities. Thanks for the resource, as everyone else has said, if nothing else, the directory of companies is worth 30 bucks anyway, sometimes it's hard to find the smaller studios.
Good luck with updates and future endeavors.

EdHarriss
08-25-2003, 02:00 PM
You are welcome! I hope you enjoy the book. By the way, If anyone has any questions or comments about the book, please feel free to e-mail/pm me. I'd especially like to hear from people that have gotten a job as a result of reading the book. However, I want to hear your gripes about the book as well. (I can't fix it if I don't know what is broken.) My e-mail address is on my web site.

Thanks.

Vushvush
08-25-2003, 03:41 PM
If we're onthe topic of jobs, I was wondering if I could weasel free info from you.

Q. would it be better to try and finish school early (within a year), with a somewhat rushed demo real (only slightly) to get into the job market early, OR, stay in school for the full 4 years (another 1.5 years) with a more polished real, as well as over a year of working experience?

NOTE: When I say better I mean "Easier to find a job, and more specifically, the best job possible."

EdHarriss
08-25-2003, 04:33 PM
There is no way to predict what will happen, but at the moment it looks like there will be a lot of new jobs poping up in the immediate future. However, I would not rush my demo reel just to land these jobs. (I doubt that they will all dissapear in 1.5 years anyway.) If you are new to the industry your demo reel is the single most important tool that you have at your disposal. (along with your industry contacts.) I have known people that have gotten work with out showing a demo but it is rare. So, if you want "the best job possible" I would not rush your education.

Of course, you may already be very, very good at what you do. As a result you might not need to worry about rushing to finish your demo reel. But without knowing your skill level and background, it is difficult to give you a yes/no answer.

08-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Any updates as to when it will become available at Amazon? I'll buy one from there.

EdHarriss
08-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Sorry, no updates from the Amazon guys. However, if you want to be notified when it is available at Amazon.com, just sign up for my (very low volume) mailing list. http://www.edharriss.com/mail-list.htm I will announce it the moment I find out that it is available from them.

Jezait
08-26-2003, 04:12 AM
Wow, sounds good, I'm keen to get a copy.

:thumbsup:

EdHarriss
08-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks Jezait. When you get it, let me know what you think about it. So far, everyone that has read it has had nothing but good things to say about it. Hopefully this trend will continue. :)

Kenzo77
08-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey Ed, sounds like a great book. I am just getting started in this field (after two years of self study and research) and I have been trying to find some kind of information about finding work in this field. This looks and sounds like what I have been looking for. My birthday is coming up, and my sister was asking what I wanted. Your book was at the top of my list of books to get. I say was because my copy is now on order :thumbsup: Can't wait to dig in.

EdHarriss
08-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Excellent Kenzo77!

I hope you enjoy the book. It is geared toward people much like you. Although I have known a few industry veterans that could be doing much better had they read this book. Its not just for newbie and intermediate users. ;)

PhilWesson
08-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Hey,
I bought my copy last wed and the money was taken from my account and everything, but i havent recieved it yet. From where are you sending them (just so i kinda know the distance it has to travel)?

tjnyc
08-27-2003, 06:34 PM
I bought my last Monday, and so far I have not gotten the book as well.

digital_rhino
08-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Same here...last Monday. I'm not b*tching, I'm just anxious to see the book.

EdHarriss
08-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Unless you live in another country, you should have gotten your book by now. I'm calling the printer right now to find out what the story is with your books. Once I get an answer, I'll post it here. I am very sorry for the delay, and if this is their fault (and not the postal service) they will be sorry too.

PhilWesson
08-27-2003, 08:03 PM
where are you operating from Ed?

vfx
08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Have u thought about an ebook version for a slightly lower price, then it can spread quickly and with less effort.

EdHarriss
08-27-2003, 09:10 PM
david225: Currently I live in North Carolina, however the book printer is located in South Carolina. Regardless of where you live in the USA, it should not take more than 3 or 4 days maximum after the book is printed for it to arrive.

vfx: I'd love to make an e-book version, it would make life easier on everybody. Unfortunately, if I made an e-book it would just get pirated and I'd loose my shirt.

I'm still working with the printer on this problem. As soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here. Again, I'm sorry that some of you have not gotten your book.

EdHarriss
08-28-2003, 12:11 AM
For those of you that have not recieved your books, everything has been taken care of. I just got done talking to the printer. Your books were already mailed. If you want to know the details, please feel free to e-mail me at EdHarriss@EdHarriss.com I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have. Sorry for the delay.

vfx
08-28-2003, 01:01 AM
Yup fair enough Ed, plus i dont like reading on screen!!!

digital_rhino
08-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks Ed...I look forward to checking out your book!:thumbsup:

EdHarriss
08-29-2003, 03:51 AM
digital_rhino: Thanks a lot. It you have time, please mail me once you have had a chance to read it. I'd really like to know what you think.

This goes for anyone that has read the book. I'd really like to hear from you. Good or bad. Please send me your comments. While I have gotten a few already, I'm always eager to here more.

vfx: I know how you feel. Every e-book I have ever bought went straight to the laser printer so I could read it where ever I want. Not to mention the fact that I stare at monitors 14 hours a day already. The last thing I want to do is look at them even longer, just to read a book.

Purgpow
08-30-2003, 05:46 AM
1 week and a Half and no book
whats up ... print shop burn down ...lol

EdHarriss
08-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi, Purgpow.

If you had it sent book rate/media mail, it could still be in transit. (The United States Postal service "Media mail" does take 7 to 10 days to ship.) However you chose UPS or something faster, you should have it by now. Either way its been taken care of. Regardless, I am very sorry for the delay. I have sent you a message, please check your PM

PhilWesson
08-30-2003, 07:18 PM
got my copy yesterday, LOVING IT
u rock Ed, thank you so much. this is gonna be one of my best resources

EdHarriss
08-31-2003, 02:47 AM
That's great to hear david225!
You are very welcome.

PhilWesson
09-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Ed,
So i'm looking through the resource section of your book, looking for places relatively near me. and I noticed that a few of the production studios are actually personal websites of people that seem to be looking for jobs, not offering them. Thought you should know...

EdHarriss
09-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Sometimes those slip through. Some people are very good at making themselves look like a company. (John Doe Animations) If you see a company that is really a job hunter, e-mail me (http://www.edharriss.com/contact.html) and I'll remove it. I'll also put your name in the credits at the beginning of the book. :)

holosynthetic
09-03-2003, 12:04 AM
how long does it usually take for the book to arrive? i ordered my copy on the 18th of august and have yet to get it in the mail

EdHarriss
09-03-2003, 02:47 AM
You should have gotten it long ago. Aparently there was a problem on the 18th. (the first day the book went on sale.) Booksurge go too many orders at once and it caused a glitch in the ordering system. This made a lot of orders from the 18th go out very late. If any of you feel that this has happened to you, please e-mail me (http://www.edharriss.com/contact.html) and I'll make sure that it is taken care of. I am very sorry that this has happened to you.

vfx
09-04-2003, 01:36 AM
Hey ed, any news on getting this in the uk? I have to get my showreel out by the end of sept and then it'll be too late for me. Thanks.

EdHarriss
09-04-2003, 02:57 AM
I'm still waiting for an answer to the UK shipping problem. Here is what I have just been told by booksurge: "We are continuously expanding to meet the global demands and needs of our multi-national customers. As part of this commitment, we now have fulfillment centers in Canada, UK, The Netherlands, Spain, and -- coming soon - Australia. " :hmm: However I have not seen any decrease in shipping charges for my international customers.

So.... For those of you not in the USA that want the book, and don't want to pay high shipping charges, email me (http://www.edharriss.com/contact.html) personally and I'll ship you a copy myself at cost. I know that you guys are tired of waiting, and so am I.

On a side note, Amazon is going to carry the book but they are very slow at putting in on their site. (I submitted it to them a long time ago.)

PhilWesson
09-04-2003, 04:02 AM
Ed,
you get extra props for going the extra mile. its really cool that you're doing this for people who havent received the book yet. Really shows your good character.
Kudos
if you're ever in stamford, CT, drinks are on me..:beer:

EdHarriss
09-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks a lot david225. I believe that customer service is just as important as the product. Nothing is more important to me than happy customers.

Next time I'm in CT, I'll drop you a mail. :beer:

BxHBxH
09-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Well, on Ed's suggestion I emailed Booksurge to see where my copy was that I ordered on the 18th. Well... it appears that they didn't even ship it until I emailed to inquire about where it went. Lovely. I must say, Booksurge is not on my list of favorite companies at the moment. Hopefully Ed can find a better company to work through in the future... oh well. Anyway, I can't wait to get my copy... now I just have to wait the 7 to 10 days for standard shipping... ugh.

Anyway, big thumbs up to Ed for responding so fast to my inquiry, I just wish Booksurge was equally as fast. oh well.

-b

EdHarriss
09-04-2003, 05:58 PM
I just got a new account rep at Booksurge. We'll see if this new one can help to aviod those problems. Otherwise I'll probaby start handling the sales/shipping myself. (Except for the Amazon sales, if Amazon ever gets around to posting the book.) Sorry for the hassle BxHBxH.

Purgpow
09-04-2003, 07:32 PM
i just went back and looked at my Receipt and i ordered mine on the 08-18-03 and i have not recived my book.

just to let you know

BookSurge is a company i will not Deal with again

holosynthetic
09-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Ed i just wanted to say i got my book and while last night i was supoosed to be drawing for art class homework i decided to read the first few chapters of the book, and i must say, finally a book i can read without dozing off cause i absolutly hate reading books that aren't software manuals

EdHarriss
09-05-2003, 01:30 AM
holosynthetic: Nice to hear that!

Purgpow: I'm looking into it. check your pm.

Ganimed
09-05-2003, 03:01 AM
Received my copy yesterday, all the way down to Germany.

This book is great:thumbsup: :thumbsup: exactly what i needed.

Thank you very much Ed for your time and effort.I love those little anecdotes, especially the one with the porn tape.
hehe.What a clumsy idiot. "Phil´s demo tape" is great too. I can´t believe it, do those things happen really??!

Tomorrow i´ll read the rest.

greetings from Cologne

Gamined

holosynthetic
09-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Ed is there any way possible i could contact you about more in depth information about the resume? seeing as how in the next few days i have to decide to make a choice in life regarding my educational background...

EdHarriss
09-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Ganimed: Hehe. Yes those things happen. It really is amazing isn't it? Some people just don't take the time to ensure that their work doesn't have any "mistakes" in it. Glad you like the book!

holosynthetic: Feel free to e-mail me. I'll be happy to help you out!

bananas3531
09-06-2003, 12:47 PM
nb

Tommi
09-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by bananas3531
nb

:hmm:

EdHarriss
09-06-2003, 05:52 PM
What is bananas3531 talking about? :curious:

DePingus
09-06-2003, 08:23 PM
I just checked Ed's site (to see if the amazon link was working) and discovered somethings everyone should know!

1) Amazon is still not working.
2) A new, direct from Ed, via PayPal link has been added!

Which means...I finally ordered my copy! And now others can too!
Thanks Ed! Just a couple questions...Are the PayPal books printed on-demand or do you have a stockpile sitting in your living room to fill those orders? Also, will there be a webpage we can visit to see any changes that may have been made to the book; an on-line addendum of sorts?

Once again...many thanks! Can't wait to get it!

Ganimed
09-07-2003, 02:35 AM
He Ed,

hehe, i think nb stands for "nice book".

To my oppinion.

kind regards.

Ganimed

EdHarriss
09-07-2003, 03:50 PM
DePingus, you are fast! I just put that link up and not 20 min later, you post about it. :) Not only can you pay with paypal direct transfer but you can pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Check.

Yes the books I'm selling are sitting in my office. I ordered a couple of cases from booksurge so I could sell them direct. When I run out (probably in the next couple of days) I'll get some more. Even though they aren't "print on demand" they still contain the latest update. So, they might as well be print on demand as I won't personally sell an out of date version. (not for full price anyway.)

There will be an update webpage. I'm working on it at the moment. I'll let everyone know when it is done.

I hope you enjoy the book.

Ganimed, that sounds right to me. Good guess.

digital_rhino
09-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Hey Ed...I finally got it today. Thanks for your help. I'll look it over and let you know what I think.:thumbsup:

digital_rhino
09-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Hey Ed...Ive only had a chance to skim through it, but I like what I see!:thumbsup: I've even recommended it this morning to my department head for our Demo Reel class. Theres not too much reading out there for students who are fledglings in the industry...so maybe we'll make this required reading for them. Nice Job!:applause:

EdHarriss
09-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Excellent! Glad to hear that you like it. Thanks a lot for recommending it for Demo Reel class!

TheWraith
09-10-2003, 05:56 PM
ok, i really wasn't going to buy this book. i've got a job and thought i'd already read just about all the demo reel threads ever created in all the forums. but after reading the sample pages i think there might still be a trick or two for me to learn. plus i'm working on a new demo reel so this is perfect timing! and i'm really looking forward to that directory in the back as i'm planning on moving and getting another job soon! so, off i go to order. and also, i think it's great you are spending so much time answering questions here on this thread ed! you seem like a great guy.

edit: ordered! can't wait to get it

TheWraith
09-10-2003, 06:43 PM
a question for anybody who has the book already, does it cover interviews? i'm not talking basic interview ethics but rather ideal answers to specific questions. one question i always hate is the money one. i never know what to say! i want to dodge the question but not quite sure how to do so.

EdHarriss
09-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi TheWraith,

I hope that you enjoy the book! Thanks for the compliments. I come here to answer questions because customer service is very, very important to me. :)

As for the interview question. Yes it does cover more than just basic interview ethics. It has sample questions that you might be asked and sample questions that you might want to ask them. Yes, the book definitely covers the salary issue. (I don't think that you should dodge the money question.) My hope is that after reading the book you'll have more than enough information to justify your salary requirements.

TheWraith
09-10-2003, 08:15 PM
excellent! sounds just like the book for me then. first expose collectors edition now this... i'm on a spending spree it feels like! and if you keep this up, i'd say you nailed the customer service. less than an hour to reply! i'm satisfied :)

Purgpow
09-11-2003, 09:47 AM
just to let you know ED
i finally got my book ... it took about a month but its here ... thanks for all your help in trying to fix the problem.

EdHarriss
09-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Glad to hear that TheWraith. Customer service is very important to me. I'd say that it is just as important as a quality product.

Purgpow, I am very glad to hear that you got your book and I am very sorry that it tool them so long to get it to you. Hopefully that won't happen to anyone else as I've just added the option for people to buy the book directly from me. (There won't be any shipping delays as long as I'm mailing the books out.) As an alternative the books can still be ordered from booksurge. So far there have been no other ordering problems with them. (You were the last one.) As long as this trend continues I will offer booksurge as an alternative to ordering directly from me. But, if they screw up again, I'm just going to handle all the orders myself. Still no word from Amazon yet. Amazon is incredibly slow.

KurtBoutilier
09-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks Ed, just got the book about 2 hours ago, really great content. Fast shipment for me over in Canada just about a week. The company index was worth the price alone.

Again thanks... and keep up the great work.

Kurt

Vril3D
09-12-2003, 04:11 AM
Decided I couldn't wait for Amazon to get its act together so I ordered it from Booksurge.The shipping costs more than the book when you live in Australia.Not that that bothers me I just think its a little sad when someone spends so much time and effort to get a book together and the shipping companies make more than the author just for shipping a book.Anyway I look forward to receiving my copy and thanks for making it so cheap on your side of things ED
All the best.

artistx
09-12-2003, 06:43 AM
I said I wouldn't order the book, but then I took a second look and noticed you have quite a bit for a small price. I just recieved the book today and just glancing over it I see this was not a bad investment. The salary/budget section has some nice info. The Salary rate versus Hourly rate distinction was enlightening. and the comedy is a nice touch.

Some nice tricks
-The backup resume
-Job Hunting the "Chris Wise" way - However, I think there are some gaps in the method that was explained. More detail is needed on the phone networking methods he used.
-A Sneaky Trick for landing a Dream Job
-Figuring your cost of living to determine appropriate salary

You said earlier that you were looking for feedback. Are you looking more for grammatical tiny things or just general content feedback? Don't want to offer unwanted comments...

mikefeil
09-12-2003, 09:29 AM
ordered my copy last night..airmail too

yayyy

EdHarriss
09-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Kurt B: Thanks. Hope you like the rest of the book too!

Vril3D: Glad I could help. I hope you enjoy it too. Glad you like the price. Most "computer animation" books that size are $49. But the market I'm mostly selling to (student and unemployed animator) needs a book that they can afford. That is why I priced it at $29. I'd have priced it even lower if I could. But a book that size costs quite a lot to print.

artistx: I'm happy to hear that you are happy with your investment. Nice that you liked the comedy as well. Getting a job is not the most exciting topic. I had to put some fun stuff in there or the book would be boring. As for the feed back, I'm looking for anything and everything from tiny spelling errors to concepts that either need more work or that you think are missing from the book. If anyone has any sort of feedback at all, please mail it to me at EdHarriss@EdHarriss.com I'll even put your name in the book if you like. I'll see if I can contact Chris Wise and ask him to expand on his phone networking methods.

isometrix: :)

Stormy151
09-13-2003, 07:07 AM
I recieved mine Tuesday. Great book! Thanks Ed! :)

For those keeping track, I ordered mine the evening of Sept 1, so that was 9 days via USPS Media Mail.

EdHarriss
09-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Excelent! Glad you like it Stormy151. Send me your comments if you have a chance.

Red 5
09-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi artistx, just lurking through this interesting thread and noticed your feedback to Ed regarding a few topics in the book.

Ed emailed me to see if I could possibly fill in some more detail on the (very) short piece I wrote... Job Hunting the "Chris Wise" way.
I didn't originally realise it was intended for use in a publication so I didn't go into too much detail, but since it has I'll try to help some more...

I can't really tell you what to say when on the phone other than to get to the point quickly, be confident and courteous.

This may help a little...

It's always better if you have a person's name when phoning... don't ask to speak to the manager or "the person in charge of hiring". State your name and the purpose of the call when asked, there's no avoiding this and if you're lucky you'll get through to the person you want to speak to.

Not too many people are prepared to phone up when looking for a job... it's much easier to simply send off a resume/portfolio, but phoning up can sometimes be advantageous if you are able to speak in person with your possible future employer, it also shows you're prepared to go to greater lengths in your job search than most.
It doesn't always produce good results and it can be difficult or impossible to get past some receptionists, but I believe it's definitely worth a shot.

If you decide to email the person you want to make contact with, send them a brief explaination your situation and attach a single image (not too large, 800x600 will do fine) of your very best artwork. If it's a rendered 3D model it and it's for real-time use, it can be a good to show half of the image with exposed wireframe to give an idea of it's construction... a nice clean well modeled mesh goes a long way in showing off your 3D skills, even moreso than a fully rendered image.
The pupose of this image attachment is to wet the appetite without bombarding the person with a large email and a lot of material to look through... it'll probably get more attention than a CD folio sitting on their desk.
If they like what they see they'll more then likely visit the link to your online portfolio.
If you don't have an online folio suggest that you'd like to send more examples of your work... hopefully they'll reply with a "yes, that'll be cool" :)

It's really up to you as an individual as to how you decide to approach you job search, but when doing so try to think about the following...

Put yourself in the shoes of the person at the other end, what would you want to see? Don't include images of anything you're unsure of or not completely happy with and remember 'less is more'.

If you have any doubts about your skills/talents, so will they... try to be supremely confident, but don't come across as arrogant.

Never make excuse's for any of your work, and never say you can do better... it won't be believed.

Always check your spelling and present your self in a professional manner, good presentation will help show you are commited... sloppy presentation often results in sloppy work.

Research the companies you plan to target for work, check news sites on the web related to the industry and take note of any new "contracts" or even rumors of new contracts... sometimes new contracts for companies equates to new job openings and from my own personal experience, you have a better chance of scoring a job before they begin advertising the position.... timing can be everything.

Cheers,

Chris

EdHarriss
09-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the update Chris! I appreciate you posting this additional info here as everyone can benefit from it. Even those of you that have already got a copy of the book.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
11-24-2003, 07:25 AM
I'm graduating next quarter, so I figure it's time I pick this baby up. Can't wait! :thumbsup:

lowkey
11-24-2003, 08:32 AM
well, i finished this baby yesterday and must admit that it's full of invaluable information! anyway, i'd loved to see more about freelancing for this chapter's a little too short.

none the less, great book! 100% recommendable! :buttrock:

Wigaru Wiyamoto
11-30-2003, 03:12 AM
It's excellent, I'll be referencing it a ton over the next few months.

I noticed that Overworks is listed in the production section instead of the video game section.

The www.o-works.co.jp address is over Overworks, the developer for Sega. The www.overworks.co.jp address seems to be for some other company called Overworks.

EdHarriss
12-01-2003, 02:52 PM
lowkey, Glad to hear that you like it! I've been thinking about expanding the freelance chapter. I may do it in the near future.

Wigaru Wiyamoto, How's it going? :) Good I hope. I'm happy to hear that you like the book too. Thanks for the tip on Overworks! I'll look into it asap. With thousands of companies in my list, I'm bound to get a few of them wrong. ;)

Wigaru Wiyamoto
12-01-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm doing great, I'm just itching to graduate (or dreading). You metion in the book using those portable DVD players to show your reel at Siggraph. They're getting reasonably priced now--how long until everyone on the show floor is walking around with their reel in their palms? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I bet that was a nightmare to collect that info. I think there was a mention earlier in the thread but did you ever consider an electronic version of the list? It would be awesome to search by geographic location.

lowkey
12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
about expanding the freelance chapter. I may do it in the near future

i hope you'll find a solution for making those available to the people, who already bought your book! ;)

great work, eager to get my hands on more of it soon! :eek:

EdHarriss
12-02-2003, 06:28 PM
lowkey: yep I'm working on something that will allow people who have older versions of the book to access newly added information. But it is much harder to implement than I had thought. But I am making progress. :)

Wigaru: I would love to make an electronic version of the book, but as we all know, it would kill my sales. All is not lost though: In the future I plan on reorganizing the company list into regions. (USA, Europe, Asia, etc...) It won't be done any time soon though, because it is such a major task. It will help people navigate the companies better. The best solution I can offer right now is for you to go through with a highlighter and mark the companies that are located where you want to work/live.

Wigaru Wiyamoto
12-02-2003, 07:31 PM
I was thinking you could have it on a protected part of your site. Each book would have a unique code that gets you into it. Just a thought.

tenjobara
12-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Ed, your site seems to be down... can't seem to get through right now..... was hoping to order the books today.

EdHarriss
12-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Yep. The entire ISP is down. I just called them. It is back up again. Thanks for the tip.

bkroll
12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Having just completed my Master’s degree in animation, I’m taking the next 2 months to create the perfect demo reel to showcase my abilities. And I couldn’t think of a better book to read then yours, Ed. I ordered it last week and can’t wait for it to arrive! I've heard such great things about it.

chrisWhite
12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey Ed, I finished your book and thought it was awesome! Thanks so much for writing it, I can't recommend it more highly. :buttrock: If I'm ever in the need for XSI training, your videos will be the first place I look. :thumbsup:

EdHarriss
12-04-2003, 08:23 PM
N2ChristTheKing, Thanks for the compliments! I'm really happy to hear that you liked the book. You are welcome.

Wigaru Wiyamoto, If I could do it in such a way that it could not be copied and pasted into any type of file, I would. But at the moment there isn't any technology that can prevent that. I've got some ideas though.

bkroll, I hope that you enjoy it! Thanks for buying my book. (I remember mailing it to you.) Let me know what you think about it. I'd love to hear from you.

bkroll
12-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Ed,

The book arrived yesterday and I'm about half-way through it already! It is an incredible resource and probably the best, if not only, book out there that addresses all the issues surrounding employment in the CG industry. When I get my first CG job, it will definitely be in part because of the book.

Keep up the great work!

-Bret

EdHarriss
12-08-2003, 06:49 PM
That's great to hear Bret! Thanks so much for the compliments.

lukx
01-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Ed,

Are in your book any German CG houses listed?
And also are there any information what kind of software each cg houses are using?

Wigaru Wiyamoto
01-20-2004, 08:05 PM
The listing is international, so there's pleanty of German houses. There's no information beyond contact info, so you'll have to check out their website for any details.

lukx
01-20-2004, 08:28 PM
grate thanks Wigaru

EdHarriss
01-23-2004, 04:24 PM
lukx,

Sorry for the late reply, but my server has been down and it has made communication with the outside world difficult to say the least. I'm on a new network so hopefully it will never happen again.

Like Wigaru mentioned, the listing is international. So you'll find lots of houses in there. There are also listing for houses in Poland.

I would like to include what software the companies are using in the listing, but that changes very rapidly and it is not always as easy to learn just by looking at their web site. There are thousands of companies in there, if the list was smaller I'd call them all and ask. :) If I did it now though, imagine the phone bill.

THX
01-25-2004, 02:25 AM
Is this book a companion to "How to make a Million dollars"

:shrug:

EdHarriss
02-04-2004, 02:02 PM
What do you mean by "Is this book a companion to "How to make a Million dollars"" ? I don't understand, could you explain a little further?

Is this a joke that I don't get or are you being serious?

derelict
02-05-2004, 02:25 AM
i think he had one too many...

EdHarriss
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
One too many what? :rolleyes:
Hehehehe.....

Wigaru Wiyamoto
02-05-2004, 04:32 PM
One too many :beer:

Hey derelict, I saw the Guess ad your avatar is taken from, very nice. :D

bg26273
02-05-2004, 10:29 PM
I bought the book couple months ago and went thru it right away - the schools and shops' listings alone make it well worth the money; also very good advice from the author and the CG professional he interviewed...

WoolyLoach
02-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I bought the book to help me decide if I wanted to ahem "extend my career opportunities" into computer animation from the programming side of things (been doing the game development thing here and there lol). I found it to be extremely informative and I consider it money well-spent! It's given me a LOT to think about, and I believe if I do make the jump it'll be into freelance.

Thanks for writing it!

derelict
02-06-2004, 01:49 AM
If you want more let me know. I'm talking about megan here.:)

Originally posted by Wigaru Wiyamoto
One too many :beer:

Hey derelict, I saw the Guess ad your avatar is taken from, very nice. :D

EdHarriss
02-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Wow, it's great to hear that you guys like the book so much. Thanks a lot for your compliments. I really appreciate them. :thumbsup:

cnewski
02-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Hi Ed. I've been trying to order your book, but no luck. I keep getting errors. Have you heard of anyone else having problems? Also, when's the next Siggraph meeting, i've been dying to go?

EdHarriss
02-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi there newski,

No one has been having any problems lately. But I'll be happy to help you out. Send me an e-mail and we can work in out. EdHarriss@EdHarriss.com

The next SIGGRAPH meeting will be either late this month or next month. Depending on what the presenters schedule is like.

nobrain
02-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by THX
Is this book a companion to "How to make a Million dollars"

:shrug:

lol, I was gonna write the same thing. may as well have called how to make money selling a book on how to get job in animation.

the only way to get a job in animation, is if

1.a company is hiring animators
2. u r an animator.

EdHarriss
02-11-2004, 02:47 PM
If that's all anyone needs to know to get a job in the computer animation industry, then my book could be just 1 page long. That sure would save me money on printing costs! :)

You might not want to dismiss the book till you've at least seen some of it. Take a look at these sample pages (http://www.edharriss.com/getajob/excerpts.htm) and see if you think the information isn't useful to someone that is looking for a job. http://www.edharriss.com/getajob/excerpts.htm Once you've had a chance to read over it, please let me know what you think. I'd like to hear your suggestions on how I could improve it. You can either post them here, or mail me direct at EdHarriss@EdHarriss.com

Thanks.

Project813
02-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Im sorry, I did not read through the entire thread...

Will the next edition have locations arranged by location?

EdHarriss
02-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Margus
Will the next edition have locations arranged by location?

Yes it will. But that edition is quite a long way off. There will be at least one more incremental edition between the current one and that one.

What I suggest to people now is that they spend an afternoon going through the company listings with a highlighter and mark the places that are located where they want to work.

Iysun
02-15-2004, 11:40 PM
i just read this from how to get a job 3d job site

From Dr. Phil
This book really tells it like it is. With so many computer animators all applying for the same job, one has to find ways to stand out from the crowd. Just because someone is a good animator does not mean that they know how to put together a great demo reel. And nowadays its not enough to have a great demo reel anyway. If you can't get it seen by the right people, then you are just wasting time.

is that they oprea whinfrey dude? :D

mdurwin
02-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Ed,
Have you considered offering the book as a paid download? I would be very inclined to purchase the book as a PDF. Having a book with a cover is nice but I hate paying for shipping and waiting! If you'd consider it, drop me a note: michael@durwin.net

EdHarriss
02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Haha.
No. Its a Dr. (of math) that I met at Siggraph. He gave me the quote. His name was Phil and I thought it would be funny to call him Dr. Phil. I really need to change that. You have no idea how many times I've been asked that question. :)

Spritemare
02-18-2004, 01:26 AM
I can write a book with this same topic. Page 1: have a sibling or best friend who'se a manager in the field. Page 2: The end. :)

Wigaru Wiyamoto
02-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Boy, you guys are awefully clever! :rolleyes:

keltuzar
02-18-2004, 02:45 AM
I just the bought the book from amazon.com, hope it will give me some information on what to do and what direction I should be taking for my career

EdHarriss
02-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Spritemare. At the bottom of page 1 it could say "If you don't have a sibling or best friend who'se a manager in the field, buy Ed's book." :)

keltuzar. Once you've had a chance to look it over, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

keltuzar
02-18-2004, 05:38 PM
I AM VERY STRICT AT CRTIQUING... just kidding!
Sure dude, I will give you feedback.:thumbsup:
Take care

mdurwin
02-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey Ed,
How about my suggestion of selling a PDF version of the book. It'd save you some money. I'm sure you have to split the proceeds of the book with the printer/distributor...

Spritemare
02-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Spritemare. At the bottom of page 1 it could say "If you don't have a sibling or best friend who'se a manager in the field, buy Ed's book." :)

haha :cool:

I'll check this book out someday just for the hell of it :)

Wigaru Wiyamoto
02-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by mdurwin
Hey Ed,
How about my suggestion of selling a PDF version of the book. It'd save you some money. I'm sure you have to split the proceeds of the book with the printer/distributor...

The question has been asked a couple of times in the thread. He'd like to but decided against it due to concerns about copying.

polyester
02-22-2004, 01:59 AM
So are all the typos a test or something, so you can judge how much of an anal perfectionist you are by how many you catch? HAHA!!! Just kidding. I love this book, the typos just make it that much more special.

I've been meaning to thank you for a long time Ed. It's nice having a hard copy to reference instead of fishing through repetative information on one website after another trying to find relative information. I couldn't think of anything you've missed here. It's been a great resource, thanks! :thumbsup:

- Poly

EdHarriss
02-23-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm glad you liked the book. I tried to make it enjoyable to read and funny. (Where I could.) Believe it or not, some of the typos are there on purpose! :) But most are because the proof readers missed them. If you can remember where any of them are, please let me know and I will fix them. I'll put your name in the next edition of the book as a thanks!

You are welcome.
Thanks so much for the compliments.

NUKE-CG
02-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Been putting off buying more books, but I'll order this one anyway :)

Just a question Ed, how many other New Zealand studios are listed? other than Weta of course..

Thank you.

EdHarriss
03-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Looks like there are about 20, not including Weta. (Both game and Production.) There doesn't seem to be a lot in New Zealand. But I suspect that there will be soon, with the massive success of Weta.

keltuzar
03-11-2004, 08:58 AM
doesnt weta have a workshop here in the US? somewhere in Chicago?

EdHarriss
03-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Not that I know of. Their web site only lists one location, Wellington (Miramar,) New Zealand.

DGCG
03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
yes

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.