PDA

View Full Version : victorian house modeled in (blank)?

shokan
11-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Does any particular software stand out as particularly suited for modeling (only) these types of Victorian houses? If you have experience with that software, please mention it.

Thanks.

edit: just realized this house is a cardboard model. So, imagine it with round posts etc.

Dare-o
11-14-2009, 12:40 AM
have you tried autoCad? I would think any 3d software (maya, 3dsmax, xsi, lightwave) can pull this off, it's just the learning curve you have to take.

shokan
11-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Well, that's the thing: which one of those? People tell me modo is a pretty good choice. Also, Sketchup and Bonzai3d. I have too many choices.

OrchidFace
11-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Just about any 3d software has the tools to build that easily. The hard part will be you learning the tools and how to model. If I were you I wouldn't even consider purchasing software for a task like that considering there are free solutions every bit as capable such as Sketchup, Wings 3d, and Blender 3d. I've never seriously used sketchup but it's supposed to have a smaller learning curve so I'd start with that. Wings is specifically for polygon modeling with much more traditional modeling tools (in contrast to sketchup which is worlds different than most apps). And Blender is a full blown, full featured 3d animation package more comparable to something like 3ds max or maya.

Just pick a free one, stick to it and work to get over the learning curve I say.

ericdibuono
11-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I'd say if you'd like to focus just on modeling, modo is a great package for it. But if architecture is your passion, nothing will beat cad. It's built specifically for that. I personally use maya and studio max, and can still model that house easily.

thakingpin
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
If you carefully read the posts by Dare-o, OrchidFace & RavenShade83, they all have the same underlying meaning - each & every package out there is built to support the basic tools absolutely necessary to model something. And each person has his/her way of working. So if you have time to invest, the best bet would be to download the trial versions of the software you are curious about & work on it. Only you can know what works for you as an individual.
As far as recommendations go, personally I use maya (though I am very new to modeling) & I can say it has everything you need to model that house. But equally hearing a lot of awsum stuff about blender. Great to see an open source software with so much power. New things are being added frequently & I personally wish to see it become a powerhouse one day....

Till then hope you have a wonderful adventure & hopefully you would post a pic of your model soon....

Cheers! :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.