View Full Version : Sorta new tweaked website/demo reel

dondixon
11-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Take a look! :)

http://www.dondixon.com

http://www.dondixon.com/logo.jpg

EricDLegare
11-14-2009, 12:14 AM
See, this is why trying to light animation scenes can be bad, The lighting artifacts that flickers all over the place distracts the eye from the animation skills you are trying to show.

It's sad because there is much potential there, I'd say either fix the lighting so it's not distracting or just get rid of it ( easy solution :beer:)

The other aspects of the presentation are well done and the length seams nice as well !

dondixon
11-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Hey Eric! First off, Im a big fan of what you do, I've see your sight and rigs and just great work, as for the lighting, all i can say is, I did my best, lighting isn't my cup of tea but sometimes you want atleast try to set a mood to push the animation, I am going back on a few shots, to make some tweaks,I was wondering if there was a shot in particular you were refering too, or them all as a whole, the only two Icould think that you were talking about woul be the first shot, and the Its over kate shot. I will do my best, I do want to impress.

Thanks

D.

EricDLegare
11-14-2009, 03:00 AM
I was wondering if there was a shot in particular you were refering too, or them all as a whole, the only two Icould think that you were talking about woul be the first shot, and the Its over kate shot. I will do my best, I do want to impress.

Yep, that`s the two shots were the flickering is preventing the eye to focus on the animation itself. For instance, the last shot "huggies shot" doesn`t have such flickering so it lets the viewer enjoy the animation without thinking about anything else than animation.

I know how hard it is not to try rendering everything fully, my animation reel had the same problems, in the end you end up wasting precious animation time on lighting that will at best not really help...

But as I said, a simple lighting like the end shot works perfectly as well, as long as it`s not distracting from the animation.

It`s pretty unfair to be honest, if you do a good ligthing, it won`t really help to sell your animation skill that much, but if you do some bad lighting then it`s going to hurt you.

btw : I like the "Hey, I would love to set up an Interview!" default message when we click the mail button :thumbsup:

dondixon
11-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I am doing some re-renders as we speak :) THanks for the good feedback, and I am glad you like my lil email message, lol every bit helps and I am desperate for work! :) and not ashamed to say it. :)

D.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2009, 04:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.