PDA

View Full Version : nCloth- Best Practise for changing input geometry

Phlok
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi,

in a scene, there is some nCloth behaving quite the way I want it to behave. The problem is, The geometry's resolution seems insufficient, so I wanted to add another smooth to the input mesh.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. I did "remove nCloth", but Maya still keeps the outputGeometry and when I try deleting stuff by hand it starts whining. I do not want to rebuild the whole cloth- scene, though.

Is there any best practise for doing so?

HowardM
11-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I like to always make a duplicate of the original, connect Out to In mesh from original to duplicate, then repeat for one final duplicate (dup1 to dup2 out/in mesh) and turn dup 2 into ncloth.

That way you can do anything to dup 1, such as smooth, blendshapes etc, and it will flow down the line, keeping the original while still allowing ncloth to work without removing and reapplying ncloth.

Realize though that any sim on a 10 x 10 mesh will sim differently on a 100 x 100 mesh and you will have to make some tweaks so your settings that now work wont be perfect with the smoothed mesh...

Castius
11-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Select the nCloth mesh.
Under the nCloth menu hit display input mesh
This will make the output mesh intermediate shape (invisible)
And make the origin mesh non-intermediate shape
Then hit remove nCloth.

This should return the shape to it's original shape as well as remove the odd shape name "output#" that nCloth makes.

Phlok
12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, I was asking because for some strange reason, the latter didn't work. Howard, if you ever happen to read this- was it possible to specify what you were trying to explain? You are doing a duplicate of the Input mesh...but what are you exactly about with the other duplicate?

HowardM
12-03-2009, 06:27 PM
from the start.

you have an obj you want to be cloth. duplicate it.
now take the original and connect its outmesh to the dups inmesh.
take the dup, make one more dup, and connect dup1 outmesh to dup2 inmesh.
so anything you do to the original will transfer to the dup and will transfer to dup2.

take dup2 and make it ncloth.

now if you want, you can tweak the original or dup1 by smoothing it, or adding blendshapes to it, etc. beware though, if you smooth it, your verts will change and you will have to redo constraints.

i usually leave the original alone incase you need to tweak it or exchange it. if using reference scenes, you can easily update entire rig etc by replacing the reference with a new one and things will go down the line with little re-setting ;)

... since outmesh to inmesh is setup, anything you do at begining of chain will go down the line.

so for your case, you would smooth dup1, which would automatically update dup2 which is ncloth and your cloth would still work... although again constraints will need fixing..

Phlok
12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you very much! I think I got the point, now!

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.