PDA

View Full Version : scale fluid simulaton in size

longrayjohnson
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
hi,

i am not really into fluid, but i need it for a small smokecloud effect. i am pretty satisfied with the look of the smokecloud, but it expands over too big a area. so can i just scale down the cloud without changing its behaviour ? i would also like to increase detail. do i have to change the resolution for that. i tried that, but it alters the look of the cloud dramatically.

Phlok
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Changing the resolution in Maya fluids also changes the way the forces react and so the way i.e. your density is advected through the container. Slight changes won't do that much harm, especially when just working with some cloud effect, but changing the container res from 60*60*60 to let's say 120*120*120 will result in a competely different simulation.

If you need more detail, you have to increase resolution, toggeling on "High Detail Solve" might be of help too, also try experimenting with increaseing the simulation rate scale parameter. If your calculations seem to slow with the new resolution you migh lower the resolution in your viewing axis (eg. lower Z resolution when watching the scene aout of Z direction).

longrayjohnson
11-13-2009, 03:04 PM
hi phlok, i think i got you, but is it possible to scale it down, so the smokeplume grows as before but is much smaller in size ?

Phlok
11-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Try it- just make sure to alway use the "Scale Fluid Container" menus. But as I said before- any scaling operation affects the way the properties are advected through the container.

chrispy2001
11-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I've had situations where i have the fluid sim to where i like it but the scale is slightly off. I find parenting it under a locator and scaling that seems to get me the best results without any problems

longrayjohnson
11-14-2009, 06:52 AM
cheers, that locator-parenting thing seems to work better than just scaling the container.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2009, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.