PDA

View Full Version : Maxlike cut in LW

Sterk
08-18-2003, 10:24 AM
One of the great modeling tools of Max that (IMHO)realy lacks in LW is "Cut" tool,so daz anybody know if there is any script o plug that works in similar way for LW?

I tried Edge Tool,but it's absolutely stupid plug,that works just really........bad.......:rolleyes: :wip:

-JT-
08-18-2003, 10:43 AM
No it doesn't exist, you have the knife tool that isn't so bad. But remember that Lightwave doesn't accept ngon subdividing...

evenflcw
08-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I've digged EdgeTools from the day it was released and use it on pretty much everything I create. I'm interested in learning what you think is so bad about it and what 3dsmax's cut does better. Do you know any online resource we're we could see "Cut" in action?

(I'm seriously not trying to start a heated discussions, and I'm hoping no one else does either, I just want honest opinions to know what I'm missing).

-JT-
08-18-2003, 11:17 AM
There is a video here : http://www.cgchannel.com/news/showfeature.jsp?newsid=1026&pid=1
The cut tool is very intuitive, you just add edges where you want, even if you model is meshsmoothed (subpatch).

Sterk
08-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok, I posted this question not for starting all this disscussions "which app's better",no,just to know if it's exists,and I'm more LW user,than MAx one..,but...

I 'd be really really glad if I had such tool in LW,and it works this way:
You select Cut tool,drag over,say vertice,cursor changes,signaling that vertice snap takes place,then,if you make left click,cut starts from this vertice,then you drag mouse in any direction and see cut line,then you stop over another vertice and see snap cursor again,if you stop in the center of polygon,max automaticaly makes cuts from this point to all nearest.With this tool you just "draw" cut on you model in any direction in any way you want and it dazn't live vertices "in air",like LW's knife,and you dont need to weld or merge points after every cut,you dont need to select poly first as well,so,guys it's just good,interactive and very intuitive tool that must be in all 3d app...

It's so sad for me to say,but LW's knife is just primitive tool,if you compare it to Max's cut...:thumbsdow

Sterk
08-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Oops,JT you've overtaken me!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.