PDA

View Full Version : ligh / shadows through alpha channel of a plane

Giantpt
11-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi there...

I am facing a problem with rendering a scene... well, I still am in the "test different stuff" fase to see how far can I go...

I'll explain my difficulty, in the scene I have a plane object with a Lambert texture on it, the lambert contains a video file (tiff sequence + alpha), this video has a dancing woman filmed in green screen.. Tha greenscreen was composited to transparency in AE, so, now I have a clean tiff file with a very nice transparency.. until now is everything ok...
The problem is that, when I illuminate the plane on the scene and turn on the shadow of the light, the shadow projects the plane shape a not the womans shape as I wanted...

Is there any way to solve this issue? I want the shadow to assume the woman shape

There is the file that shows the problem... you can easily were does the shadow start projecting and the shape the it has comparing to the person that is dancing.

http://www.visualsfx.com/maya.jpg

Thats it...

Thank you

NF

InfernalDarkness
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
On your file node, do you have "Alpha is Luminance" checked?

Alternatively, you could use a mia_material_x and use the cutout opacity slot, which is designed solely for alpha-channel cutouts. This is for mental ray though; if you're rendering in Maya software, it might not help...

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.