PDA

View Full Version : Combining 2 normal maps together

Eshta
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
I did a search an d seen some entries about that it can be done.
But I never had a successful attempt.
Every time I add them as “color” it immediately change its behavior and act as bump rather than bending normals
If anyone done it can you please let me know how to add 2 normal maps
Thanks

FirechameleoN
11-12-2009, 04:28 AM
combining maps inside maya or in a 2d app.....?

tostao_wayne
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I did a search an d seen some entries about that it can be done.
But I never had a successful attempt.
Every time I add them as “color” it immediately change its behavior and act as bump rather than bending normals
If anyone done it can you please let me know how to add 2 normal maps
Thanks

have you tried with mia_material_x, it has two bump slots

Eshta
11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm trying to do it in Maya
thanks

caro
11-13-2009, 02:51 AM
I do this in photoshop everyday for past few years and it seems to be working fine. Here is what I do (I think this is what it is as I made an action ages ago and didn't open it since :D):

1) put to layers of normal map on top of each other;
2) bring brightness of blue channel of the top layer to half. I'd use curves for that, just grab the brightest point on the right (255) and bring it half way down (to 128);
3) set the top layer as Overlay.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to recreate in Maya without much trouble and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

good luck!

Emil3d
11-13-2009, 04:02 AM
I don't work with normal maps a lot but won't the connection work the same as the bump maps?
You change from bump to normal by choosing Use As: Tangent Space Normals in the bump node. You add additional bump maps by connecting outNormal of one bump node to the normalCamera of another bump node. I would expect the same to work for multiple normal maps chained like that. Have you tried that?

caro
11-13-2009, 07:52 AM
That's so much simpler and I see no reason why it shouldn't work, I'd totally go with Emil's idea rather then mine :) I'll probably try it out myself pretty soon.
Thanks!

Eshta
11-13-2009, 02:23 PM
thanks guys
the idea of connecting out normal , only work with bump
to see what i mean do the following
create a normal map connection > and activate your presp High quality render so you can see it in view
flip from tangent to bump so you see the difference in the effect
flip back to normal
try making the above connection
it immediately flip it to bump

tostao_wayne
11-13-2009, 03:10 PM
and using a layerered texture??

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2009, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.