PDA

View Full Version : Foot Rig: Creature Foot w/ Toes

ntmonkey
08-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of foot setups like the reverse footlock and the usual set driven set of feet. However, most usually work for characters with shoes or short toes. Is there a way to rig a foot with long toes so that I can have it somewhat automated like the reverse footlock, but still use SDKs to curl and spread the toes? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Lu

ntmonkey
08-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Hmmm, am I asking for the impossible? I am able to get a decent IK footroll, but it kills my ability to use Set Driven Keys to manipulate the toes individually. Again, if anyone has any solution to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Lu

Doogie
08-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Jason, for his fast animation rigs DVD, had a monkey rig. It looks like what he did was not overlap the SDKed joints of the toes and the reverse foot joints of the bones. The purple joints have SDK, hopefully the reverse foot ones are obvious.

I'd play around to see what i could come up with... but im late for work.

BTW, good DVD for rigging :thumbsup:

ntmonkey
08-18-2003, 05:40 PM
I found out what I needed to do. It was kinda easy once it hit me. I just made the reverse footlock like you do. Then I made the toes, but I grouped them twice so they wouldn't create extra joints. I parented the new group to the simple foot. Since the simple foot was controlled by the Reverse Footlock, everything worked out well. Now everything moves like it should, and there's no IK on the toes to interfere with the SDK. Thanks for the help.

peace,

Lu

goosh
08-18-2003, 06:53 PM
You could do:

ankle->ball->toe

and then the reverse foot

heel->ball->ankle

that leaves open the toes to do whatever you want with them

Goosh

ntmonkey
08-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Goosh,

Thanks for your help. I used your reverse footlock tutorial to help me out. Only took a few minutes to incorporate toes in my foot rig. Thanks a lot for your help.

peace,

Lu

goosh
08-19-2003, 06:35 PM
:thumbsup:

Glad to help

G

bobzilla
08-21-2003, 06:35 PM
ntmonkey: (or anyone else that can help) Are any of you working in Cinema 4D? I'd like to do something like that foot roll on my dino rig. The foot just isn't "rolling". There's not much of a foot, so it's kind of like rolling on the toes, not the ball of the foot. Any hints on how I might set this up in Cinema?

Thanks in advance.

seasterling
08-23-2003, 06:46 AM
Not exactly sure what your solution was, but I just add ik handles to the toes as well. Then instead of creating a reverse foot with joints, create a separate control hierarchy and group the ik handles. Then you still have separate control of your toes. The real trick is coming up with a system for then rolling the foot and toes from side to side. It took me awhile to come up with something I was happy with. Hope this helps.

-sam

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.