Array
08-18-2003, 12:16 AM
http://www.gamespy.com/quakecon2003/carmack/index.shtml

Karlstok
08-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Oh.Thanks,one of my favorite.:beer:

erilaz
08-18-2003, 01:37 AM
Thanks Array. Carmack is a kind of hero of mine.... in a geeky, programming sort of way that is.:D

I'd LOVE to see that Quake 2 Remix he's talking about!:love:

Icarus
08-18-2003, 01:58 AM
OWnz!

Very Happy,

Looking foward to the rest of the work he's involved wiht.

TyR-

richcz3
08-18-2003, 03:56 AM
That's a good interview. Yeah id is trapped by the conventions that made it famous. That's the reason I am expecting so little from Doom 3. The company can't take risks on such a high budget title. :hmm:

richcz3

erilaz
08-18-2003, 04:09 AM
I'm reading the id biography at the moment. It's a really interesting book.

jason-slab
08-18-2003, 01:05 PM
nice read

like erilaz says, Carmack is a kind of hero of mine 2
i would really like to know what id will be doing next

thx for the link array

|jason

bentllama
08-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by richcz3
Yeah id is trapped by the conventions that made it famous.

yep. happens alot.

BRUTICUS
08-18-2003, 07:52 PM
The levels are looking great, I really hope the characters look as good.

What im really looking forward to is Quake 4 as it is supposed to be going back the Quake 2 style of game which got me into gaming in the first place.

Anyone know whats going to be shown at Quakecon?

Array
08-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BRUTICUS
The levels are looking great, I really hope the characters look as good.

What im really looking forward to is Quake 4 as it is supposed to be going back the Quake 2 style of game which got me into gaming in the first place.

Anyone know whats going to be shown at Quakecon?

i think quakecon is allready over. They showed off multiplayer mode and the new physics engine in doom 3.

Boone
08-18-2003, 09:33 PM
oh - who's he then? Never heard of him...:p

Goon
08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Array, they are having multiplayer? I heard (a while back so the infos dated) that they werent going to be having it. At least not at first.
How good is it?

Array
08-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Goon
Array, they are having multiplayer? I heard (a while back so the infos dated) that they werent going to be having it. At least not at first.
How good is it?

from all reports, it kicks major ass.

erilaz
08-19-2003, 01:20 AM
That's good to know. I'm glad they went back to single-player with Doom 3, but if they had not put in multiplayer, it would have killed them.

There are going to be INSANE mods from this engine.

Kricket
08-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Goon
How good is it?

Gamespy's got a good preview on Doom3's multiplayer. It's gonna have a 4 player limit tho.

http://www.gamespy.com/quakecon2003/doom3/

erilaz
08-19-2003, 03:16 AM
Thanks for that Kricket. With all this iD news, I'm atually starting to get excited about FPS again.:D

Icarus
08-19-2003, 03:34 AM
heh, yeah, iD do great work.

Im looking foward to just shotting stuff and watching the physics engine at work :)

The Ragdoll effects I really Hope are worth it :)

Ive been sick of playing Doom2 on my old 486 :P

TyR-

erilaz
08-19-2003, 03:39 AM
I'm kinda sick of the whole ragdoll thing. Sure, ragdoll is great, but what about some ragdoll with voluntary muscle twitching? The problem with ragdoll is it LOOKS like a ragdoll is being flipped around. Bodies just don't do that!

I want to see MEAT PHYSICS next!!! MEEEEEAT!:D

markbones
08-19-2003, 03:48 AM
Yeah id is trapped by the conventions that made it famous.
Originally posted by bentllama
yep. happens alot.
I am very looking forward to Doom 3. I don't play games that much anymore (why? I like to think I don't have the time, but I probably do ;) ), but this might be the first one I will buy in a really long time. Do you guys really think they are trapped because of their success in the FPS genre? Granted, from what he says in the article, it would be a risk to develop a different type of game, but personally, I would be anxious to see it because of the quality of ID games. Yes? No?

Cyberdigitus
08-19-2003, 04:09 AM
Yes.

but i doubt it. however i've read somewhere they're a bit tired of all the same games all the time.

and carmack at least hinted that he will write another engine. Imagine what he will come up with in 5 years time...

richcz3
08-19-2003, 06:21 AM
You'll find Carmack mentioning the work that went into Return to Castle Wolfenstein. They had two seperate developers working on it with them. The single player didn't break any new ground (as usual) but they did produce a solid multiplayer game. It's a shame that all that work and expense went into the MP part of it, just for it to fall off the charts so fast. It had class groups like medics , lieutenents, and engineers.
They even released Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for free. Nerve Damage was working on that for retail, but they just shut it down. You can download the multiplayer part here. http://www.3dgamers.com/games/wolfensteinet/#filelist

I think Medal of Honor stole allot of Wolfs thunder a month after it was released. (Irony it's a Quake 3 engined game)

In retrospect, I think that is why id is not bolstering the Multiplayer aspect on Doom 3. They can produce a single player game and let some other company toil over the multiplayer aspect using the new engine. Wolfenstein multiplayer was allot of work that kinda fell by the wayside too fast.

richcz3

erilaz
08-19-2003, 07:08 AM
I would have thought it was only 4 player because they're already pushing current gaming systems pretty hard with the doom 3 engine. Too many players may mean icky slowdown.

Bah... who knows? Let's just wait and see.

richcz3
08-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Yes, Doom 3 is built for Single Player play, currently at the expense of multiplayer play. So they threw every possible graphic innovation they could into it.
Now they have delayed Doom 3 till 2004 to perfect the story. By mid 2004 there should be more suitable PC's in the mainstream able to run it.

richcz3

Neil
08-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Rich: you bring up a good point. RTCW did win GOTY and was a very solid game. But i did find myself slipping with it also, and i haven't played it in like a year now.
I am curious why it slipped so quickly.

bentllama
08-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Rich: you bring up a good point. RTCW did win GOTY and was a very solid game. But i did find myself slipping with it also, and i haven't played it in like a year now.
I am curious why it slipped so quickly.

MOH, BF1942...

gamers are fickle creatures...

I bet that if RTCW had vehicles, it would still be kicking...

ambient-whisper
08-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Yes, Doom 3 is built for Single Player play, currently at the expense of multiplayer play. So they threw every possible graphic innovation they could into it.
Now they have delayed Doom 3 till 2004 to perfect the story. By mid 2004 there should be more suitable PC's in the mainstream able to run it.

richcz3

? when did they state that its delayed till mid 2004?

{edit}
crap. guess they are huh.. doh. i was soo looking forward to playing it this year :/ ah well :) guess that gives them time to polish the lighting so that bent could enjoy it a bit more ;)

richcz3
08-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
MOH, BF1942...

gamers are fickle creatures...

I bet that if RTCW had vehicles, it would still be kicking...

Fickle creatures is putting it nicely.
There are basic reasons why developers and publishers don't innovate gameplay so much. Historicaly id Multiplayer games are frag fests. Wolfenstein dared enter teamwork and tactical play.
I guess id feels like they learned a lesson with Wolfenstein.

If you have ever played Wolfenstein: Enemy Trritory...Its over the top strategy. You can even take the clothes off the dead enemy and enter the enemy base. Leaving the enemy in his skivies. Its a shame id pulled the plug on finishing it. :hmm:

I don't expect Dice or EA to produce any new gaming innovation in Battlefield: Vietnam. Stick with what works or chance dissapointing then losing a huge audience.

richcz3

erilaz
08-19-2003, 11:53 PM
With all the crap that went down at id over the years, FPS's was all they could afford to keep doing. It's a formula, but it bloody works.
The Masters of Doom book was great (just finished reading it) seriously, if you want to know more about the crazy life of id, check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375505245/qid=1061330521/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-1675984-1676610?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.