PDA

View Full Version : control particle rotation according to its traveling direction

avillabon
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
First let me give you a little breakdown of my scene... I have a plane set to emit particles from surface. My particles are instanced to a bird geometry which has ten different positions completing a whole wing movement. The instance is working fine as i see the birds flapping correctly. The one thin i am missing is that i need to control their rotation according to their traveling direction. For example if a particle is traveling in the positive x axis i want the bird to face x while a different bird traveling up will face y.

Let me know if this is confusing.

Alex

Wick3dParticle
11-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Alex,

What I believe you should do is set the instanced aim direction based on velocity. To do that, first align the objects you are instancing along the positive X axis and freeze its transform. Then you instance it to your particles. then select the particles and go to the instancer settings, and set the aim direction to velocity. That should do the trick.

Let me know if that does it.

~Ilan

avillabon
11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
that was it! Thanks!

I was happy to find it was a simple solution :applause:

Alex

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.