PDA

View Full Version : Abrupt Lighting Changes

blazelet
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I am having the following problem in Vue : here is a render test (8 frames) as an example:

www.inspiralmedia.com/Transfer/CGTalk/FLICKERTEST.mov (http://www.inspiralmedia.com/Transfer/CGTalk/FLICKERTEST.mov)

Basically, when I render the lighting (sun) seems to abruptly flicker back and forth between two positions. For a couple frames it will be coming from one angle, then for a couple frames it'll got to another, then back to the first.

Any ideas would be apprecaited, I've been trying to fix this for 3 days ...

Ryan

chippwalters
11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
First, that mov is way too large for most to download and preview. I have a 1650 wide display and it wouldn't show in my window!

After finally looking at it, it's hard to say what the issue is, but it's clear the sun is moving quite a bit in the 8 frames. When a sun moves from morning to noon (as it looks like it's doing) you will get dramatic differences in lighting, especially over only 8 frames.

Try rendering smaller and many more frames to see what I mean.

blazelet
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Sorry for the size, I didn't have anything to size it down with in the location I was posting from so I had to put up as is. I thought 8MB would be manageable :)

I've rendered the sequence over 90 frames and it did the same thing. For 2 or 3 frames the sun would be in once place, then pop to another place for a few frames, then back again for 2 or 3 frames, and so on. There is no transition between the placement - it just pops back and forth.

I did however fix it. I unchecked the box in the sun settings which tells it to point the sun in the direction of the camera. There must be something in the Maya to Vue translation that's confusing it as to the location of the camera ...

Regardless, now my sun stays fixed! Crisis averted. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.