PDA

View Full Version : Crystalized Frosted Glass

GAVINO
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I know one thing is Crystal and another is Frosted..but you get the idea.
I have to create the effect of a store's display Glass getting frosted and crystallizing...
What would be the best approach?

thank you in advance..

InfernalDarkness
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
For animation or for a still shot?

For a still, I'd just use some texture maps and the mia_material_x.

For animation, might be a little tougher. You could always render the frosted glass then the unfrosted glass, and blend them over time in your compositor.

cgbeige
11-11-2009, 12:03 AM
that's a complicated effect since you have two things with different refractive indexes: crystals and glass. I can't really offer much advice on doing that in Mental Ray.

InfernalDarkness
11-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Not sure if you're animating this or not, but it'll be pretty simple if you are.

Quick transition between Frosted Glass and Crystal, which becomes "icy" (I hope) after the transition. Depending on your object, of course, a crystal setting is merely a higher IOR, so it might just look weird without some bump mapping or other form of texturing.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8604/frostedtocrystal.gif

You could animate the material itself (mia_material), and just alter the IOR over time, as well as alter the glossiness/samples, to achieve a similar effect. I just did it in post real quick to give you an example, and if this doesn't help, well... Gave it a shot!

kiryha
11-11-2009, 03:36 PM
You can use fur and maya software for crystals, and blured refractions-reflection in mia_X for glass. Than compose. Fur can looks like this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jyAqHr3RZO4/SvrYxO02ewI/AAAAAAAABN4/h2bzAY5nbCY/s1600-h/wheelFur.JPG)

GAVINO
11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys..I do have to animate it (but I'll do that in post) I would like to try the snowflake one later on because I know they're going to ask for it..As for now InfernalDarkness' works for the project at hand. I just have a couple of questions please..

I mimicked your project to the best of my ability and I think that you used Global Illumination right?
Because I can't seem to get it to light the same way..I tried rotating the sun to different angles but no luck...

Second, what kind of texture map did you use was it a leaf vein because it looks just right..?

thanks again..

InfernalDarkness
11-17-2009, 07:14 PM
No, I was only using FG, no GI for those renders. Generally I tune with FG and then tune the GI, if I plan on using it. Most of my work only requires FG (arch/viz) and I save photons for glassy scenes or scenes with glass lights and stuff. I did use the Sun/Sky, it's a real time saver.

The texture map was a dirtmap I got somewhere, not a leaf proper; I'll dig up the reference for you, if you like. Or just email me and I'll zip up the scene for you and send it over. I know it's for work, but I was on the clock that day too (took a break to have fun with your glass problem!) so it's no big deal if you want me to send it over, that way you can see how it worked and pick it apart.

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2009, 07:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.