PDA

View Full Version : particles stick to surface UV problem

ah-fx
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I am trying to get my particles to stick to a soft body. I got it to work just fine in a test scene.

(Im using 2008 particles) I emit particles from the surface of the object which is a polyPlane and my particles have the creation expression:
.goalU = .parentU;
.goalV = .parentV;

works like it should in my test scene, but in my regular scene the particles just go to the verticies and dont even stick. I did a geometry cache in case that was the problem but no luck.

If I turn off the goal my particles emit from UV's like they should.. so im not sure whats going on, has anyone else had this problem?

TheRispo
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
check your emitter.. make sure "Need parent UV" is checked on.

ah-fx
11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
yup its on, even when I print the uv values they look appropriate.

TheRispo
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Ok.. I made some quick test.. and did have the same problem as you with the particles sticking to the vertices.. a workaround I found is the following:
Create a geometry cache for your softbody and delete the particles (It already has some particles attached to it... wich is what makes it a softbody)
Make the geometry to emit particles , make the geometry a Goal and write the creation expression as you would normaly do.
Probably not the best way but seems to work for me

Hope that helps

Edit... after reading your first post.. again.. I realize that my "magic workaround" of creating the geometry cache is something you already done, and still have the problem ... So I ran out of ideas.. can you post your scene to check it out closely?

ah-fx
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
heh yep your right, maya conveniently uses the soft body particle as the goal by default rather than the mesh. It wasnt working for me because the 2nd time around I didnt delete the particle I just disabled it.. silly me.

Thanks TheRispo

ah-fx
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm going to do away with my geometry Cache for now so I can continue to tweak the animation and just force the surface particle connection to the mesh in the hyperGraph

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.