PDA

View Full Version : getting indirect and sss passes from misss_fast_shader_x_passes in maya 2009

YourDaftPunk
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I noticed that miss_fast only supports Beauty, Diffuse, Direct Irradiance, Specular in 2009.

So my question is...

What is the easiest way of getting an indirect (like indirect in mia_x_passes) and a sss pass from the misss_fast_shader_x_passes shader? I want Diffuse+SSS+Indirect+Specular to equal the Beauty.

Second question- I've always used mia for reflections, but I've never tried to make a pass shader with the misss_fast plugged into the additional color of the mia. Is this going to cause problems?

Thanks.
-shawn

Nick2970
11-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Hey shawn,

The best way I have found so far is to plug the appropriate 'results' from the sss shader into a custom colour buffer (then routed to a custom colour pass). I have had some success using the skin specular shader plugged into the spec section of the sss shader.

I also reccomend you use a custom output for the specular of the shader rather than the standar spec pass, the results do not seem to equal the beauty pass if you use the preset spec pass.

I think you will have to use a render layer for shadow passes as the retards seem to have forgotten to put a shadow result into the mia shader at all.

Another problem I have found is if you use the built in AO on the miax passes, the result ends up in the indirect pass. You can use the global AO, but that is not visible in your beauty pass. Also Mia_x passes doesn't output a diffuse colour result as far as I can tell

Don't even get me started on why we have to now have an mia, mia_x and an mia_x passes shader!!!

cheers, Nick

cheers, Nick

Nick2970
11-10-2009, 02:58 AM
This is in no way a comment about the excellent shader itself, merely Autodesks poor implementation of said shader.

Do they even test this stuff anymore??, If you want to just stick with standard Maya blinn, phong, etc this pass system works fine, but those are some seriously dated shader models now. I wish they would just put the time into integrating MR properly.

cheers, Nick

YourDaftPunk
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks Nick, I'm going to give the custom color buffer a try later today.

-s

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.