PDA

View Full Version : Why not Special Effects (SFX) ???

bipinvfx
11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm a VFX artist working in India & been in industry from last 3 years. But I want to grow my knowledge into sfx. Thats why I'm looking for SFX courses. But I'm afraid, there are very rare training school/university which provides any course on SFX. I'm actually looking for SFX course which is a very practical course containing physical fx like pyrotechnics, miniature, prosthetics, etc.

I found only school that provides such course which is NFTS in Bucks, UK. But its quite costly for me to afford. Please suggest me any such course. Thanks everyone.

kelgy
11-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I think it would be hard to find a single course or program that teaches pyrotechnics, miniatures and prosthetics together because they are so specialized. Usually someone goes into one thing and not the rest.
Its easy to find courses on makeup prosthetics(though if it doesnt teach you foam latex its probably a cheap course), but pyrotechnics and miniatures tend to be through specialized individual training. Sometimes apprenticeships.
Pyrotechnics especially due to the danger factor.

With miniatures one is looking at familiarity with different common miniature building materials, like balsa wood, foam, plastic, and mold making and resin casting.

A lot of that one gets by building various little models on their own.
You can probably find books and online resources that would help you as much as an actual course.
Forums for makeup afx artists or indie filmmaker resources.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2009, 09:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.