PDA

View Full Version : Dreamworks Clouds

FalineFarwell
11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I am making a logo intro for my animation studio that is similar to the Dreamworks logo. I cant seem to find the best way to make cartoony yet realistic clouds/sky in maya, please help me out!

Link me to a tutorial or maybe a project file download!

Thanks!

TheNeverman
11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
My suggestion is to post what you have so far so people have something to critique...

andymoorer
11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Heavy use of cards and mattepainting techniques is common with that kind of intro logo. Dreamworks likely added an additional layer of volumetrics on top of the traditional mattepainting approach, I'd have to watch it again to tell tho.

I am making a logo intro for my animation studio that is similar to the Dreamworks logo. I cant seem to find the best way to make cartoony yet realistic clouds/sky in maya, please help me out!

Link me to a tutorial or maybe a project file download!

Thanks!

DDelapena
11-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Could definitely achieve this effect with matte paintings put onto cards with an alpha.
Or if you wanted to do it with fluids you could start off by going to the visor window and looking for 3d clouds. There are some decent presets to start off with for clouds.
Now this isn't saying click a button in the visor and that's it, you "made" clouds. What you should do is use it as reference and study the inputs in the attributes and see what settings make fluids look like clouds.
Once learned enough or played with enough, you can go ahead and make your own from scratch. Def look and see what kind of texturing was used in the fluid container, becauser that is the main ingredient in a cloud from maya fluids.
Good luck and post us the result =]
Ps. I don't wanna see a preset, we all know what it looks like.

FalineFarwell
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to give it a go and Ill post what I come up with. :)

stooch
11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
you could render surfaces generated with nparticle metaballs and then use an incidence angle gradient shader.

another thing to try is displacing geometry with blobby procedurals if the metaballs dont work. try the heighfield or the displaceD node.

apoc519
11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
you could model some simple cloud shapes and animate their scale to zero over a few frames. Then Fluids -> emit from object. Add a little bit of texturing. Bam!

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.