PDA

View Full Version : How can I improve myself?

Ayro
11-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey, I started modeling about 2 weeks ago. I know most of the basic and intermediate functions.

I don't have a clue on how I can improve my modeling, and what to create to make my models more and more detailed. As well as model cleanly and organized.

Here is one of my most recent models that I am working on.

I want to eventually move on to cars, planes, and trains! Well maybe not trains. But I want to be able to eventually model a car, with fully functioning doors, hood, trunk, and make a model engine, and brakes, suspension, etc. I want to make highly details models, that's what it comes down to. I can model a basic shape of a car or plane, but that's about it. As well as wanting to model characters, and different accessories for them (clothing, backpacks, etc)

So how can I improve my modeling, and progress my skill?

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/156/screenshot20091106at336.jpg

Animasta
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
You'll want to start following some tutorials. Also, practice makes perfect. Seriously, the more you practice the batter you will become. I recommend at least an hour a day of modeling.

Ayro
11-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I can't really find good thorough tutorials though. Many bad ones out there.

I model at least 3 hours a day. That gun took 2 hours the first day, then worked on it another hour another day. Didn't need a tutorial for that one though, just tried making a model of something with my own knowledge. Turned out pretty good.

I just don't know if I should focus on small basic things or big things, and work on texturing them as well.

OddBall85
11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Small basic things never hurt. It helps develop your "artiest eye" to pay attentions to detail and this will allow you to eye ball work to further repair and quicken your skills over all.

What software apps do you use?

I recommend checking out http://www.3dtotal.com/ as this is a site I go to for tutorials when I am in the mood to learn new stuff. Another good site is called http://www.digitaltutors.com/09/index.php which has a vast collection of tutorials online. If you have some disposable income I highly recommend spending the money on the subscription.

The reality is this if you practice more you will get better. Yes modeling small things is not bad at all but tackling larger projects start to make you process your work flow better and how you should approche your models small parts and larger parts. I say do both! I personally sit down and say "I want to model a Goblin rocket launcher complete with Goblin team" Now how would I go about doing this?

I research the material and draw up some ideas so I have a road map. From here I model the different elements till I am satisfied witht he results. Then I compine the model into a scene. And last I do some renders and compile them into photoshop. See that easy ;) now go forth and do it! Good luck modeling!

Revon
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Try to learn how to achieve the desired look without having to always rely into smoothing modifiers. There's times when you want to use it, but it's not something you should use by default as it can cause lots of problems that you need to manually fix by adding edges or re-routing edge loops. For stuff like that gun which has very "boxy" look to it with many flat surfaces, you don't really need to use smoothing modifiers for most of the pieces.

LuisGama
11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Well what can i say, practice practice practice. Work everyday. Explore. If you have doubts about something. Google it.

Ayro
11-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I use Maya. I am most likely going to buy a year subscription to Digital Tutors. I've heard good things.

drawallday
11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Ayro,

Keep practicing daily. Make sure you practice with all the existing modeling tools. Maya and Max are the probably the most popular 3D packages out there (I prefer Maya myself). Any 3D software is fine, they all have the same basic thing. They have trial versions that you could practice with but be careful because sometimes trial files can't be used later in licensed versions.

Study the 3d package user guide and that'll help with your workflow.

Make sure you follow outside tutorials coming from a professional source. Do your research. Your established focus in 3d seem to be hard surface modeling so try to get some professional guide on these. Be creative and use your best judgement. :)

Here are some stuff you could look into (mostly subscription stuff).
3D World Magazine (http://www.3dworldmag.com/)
Gnomon Workshop (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/)

Intervain
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
probably the best way would be to simply start a particular project - just start a project to go through, get exact blueprints - not only of the outline but gather references of everything that's there - pictures of all the small nuts and bolts - that way you'll work on each thing at a time and will have all the details you want in the end... don't just come up with something and worry about not being able to invent the details... look at references and you'll know what to do. Like someone said - plan everything exactly, divide it into pieces and decided what needs to be made. And yeah, practice :)

Junkie Inc.
11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I have been using 3d Buzz: Maya Fundamentals course and this is a really good starter course and very detailed. This and good tuts at 3d creative magazine from 3d total.

Junkie Inc.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.