PDA

View Full Version : What are questions I should ask?

NelsenCaleb
11-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Hi, times flying, and I've no clue what to ask all those CG Colleges, well I shouldn't say that, I've come up with a few, but I need more. Please spam questions for me to ask!

1. Would you say 1 year is enough time for a person with zero experience with this subject is enough?

2. What is the average amount of money Film + Animation/Game Design students make coming out?

3. What are the stanards for acceptance?

4. What is job placement rate? #/# and %/100 please.

5. Are there scholarships available to me?

6. What's the school day like? Example: 8:00 A.M. - 3:20 P.M.

7. Total cost?

8. How do I apply for financial aid if no scholarships are availbe to me?

9. I ran out...

Should I rephrase some of these? Please don't forget to spam your questions for me to add to your list!! Thanks so very much if you spam!

JYoung
11-06-2009, 03:48 AM
They're pretty much going to bullshit you on questions 1,2, and 4. Find out what they say and report back here to see if it's realistic.

Ask to see student and faculty work/portolios. Try to compare work from students about to graduate to past graduates. That'll give you somewhat of an idea how the current instruction stacks up to past instruction.

NelsenCaleb
11-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Heres what he sent me back.

Hi Caleb,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Would you say 1 year is enough time for a person with zero experience with this subject is enough?

Yes. Just take a look at what other VFS 3D graduates have been doing. Here are a few links to review.

Enter District 9 – When you’re on this site please note that you can click on everyone’s name to see their IMDB listings so you can see what they’ve been working on since graduation. There are also some excellent interviews that you can watch.

VFS Youtube Channel

As Time Goes By – A VFS Modeling Reel that I really enjoy.

VFS 3D Animation & Visual Effects Blog – Stories about what VFS 3D graduates have been doing over the past few months. Almost every major film released in 2009 had VFS 3D graduates working on it (Tranformers, G.I.Joe, Where the Wild Things Are, District 9, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs etc.)

2. What is the average amount of money Film + Animation/Game Design students make coming out?

A junior animator usually starts between $40,000-$50,000/year and it goes up from there.

3. What are the stanards for acceptance?

APPLICATION PROCESS – Please note that the next available seat in the 3D program is in the July 5, 2010 start date. You should plan to apply approximately 1 year in advance of your intended start date.

1. Apply online
2. Send a copy of your photo ID and transcripts by fax or scan/email.
3. If you have recommendation letters, fax or scan/email them to me.
4. A visual art portfolio of your work that includes life drawings and 3D computer work (maximum 12 pieces). If you do not have 3D work, a combination of other computer work may be acceptable (e.g. Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, etc.).

4. What is job placement rate? #/# and %/100 please.

At VFS the employment rate is between 80-90%. This obviously varies class by class but generally stay in that range.

5. Are there scholarships available to me?

You are welcome to look for scholarships and bursaries but they are generally quite difficult to find for this program. There are currently non scholarships being offered by the school. We may offer scholarships in the future and will post them on the VFS site when that happens.

6. What's the school day like? Example: 8:00 A.M. - 3:20 P.M.

School generally starts at 9 and you will have 2 or 3, 3 hour classes each day. Students who are succeeding in VFS programs are putting in a minimum of 60 hours/week right from the first week. This includes class and homework time.

7. Total cost?

The total tuition for the 3D Animation & Visual Effects program is $52,750 CAD. at VFS your tuition includes everything you require to complete your education. There are no financial surprises at VFS. All the basic materials from textbooks, a budget for film stock and processing, equipment use, art supplies, computers, software, and more is supplied to you at a single cost. You will need to budget approximately $15,000 CAD for 1 year of living expenses.

8. How do I apply for financial aid if no scholarships are availbe to me?

There is 1 specific student loan available to US students planning to study outside of the US. It is called Sallie Mae. They require that you have a cosigner with good credit to qualify. This loan can cover most of your tuition and living expenses.

9. I ran out..., but will have more after these onces are answered. Thanks.

I look forward to hearing more of your questions. Have a great weekend!

SenecaAnimation
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Caleb,

These are common questions that I get from prospective students. It is a fairly comprehensive list.

Outside of this list, you should also ask to speak with current and graduate students to get an unbiased opinion on how the course is. Courses can change dramatically over one semester if the faculty changes.

Q. Who are your instructors? Who does, or have, the instructors worked for, in what capacity? How long, what and where have they taught? Are there any especially notable faculty?

Q. Is it possible to speak with professors and program heads, to get a first hand appraisal of the program and what it's best suited for?

Q. What evidence do you have that graduates find success? Can you point out
successful graduates? Do you have statistics on how many students out of the total number of students have been hired by what companies in different years of your program? Are there any especially notable alumni?

Q. What international/industry recognition can you show? Are there articles about your school I should read, awards you've received, etc?

Q. How long has the program been running?

Q. What type of equipment do students of your program and school have access to? What programs and what version of those programs? What other facilities? How many work stations per student, will there be enough to avoid my having to wait for equipment? Will I have my own work station and what would that include if so? Will I have 24/7 access to the facilities?

Q. How is time balanced between art foundations and 3d modeling and animation?
How is the teaching of art foundations handled? What areas are covered, and to what depth? Are other, non art/3d related classes required? If so how is this handled?

Q. What is the location of your school, and more specifically, the location in which the program I would be attending? Does your school offer any assistance in finding living accommodations? Is on campus accommodation available?

Q. I plan on focusing solely on school while in the program, and strongly prefer not to have to work while in the program. Does the school provide services to help me find loans?

Q. What scholarships or bursaries are available for this program? Does the school provide any support in finding financial support for me?

Q. How long is the course? Why is your program that length?

Q. What periods of study are available?

Q. What do I graduate with?

Q. Does the program offer a co-op program? What contacts within the industry do you have? What other help with finding a job does the school supply?

Q. Does your school work or cooperate with particular companies in regards to the program in any way? What companies and how?

Q. How does the program help me create my portfolio?

Q. How would I find out if any of my course credits from University of Manitoba and Red River College are transferable?

Q. What benefits will I have as an alumni?

Q. What is the cost of the programs you would suggest for me, are there extra costs I would be expected to pay? If there are extra costs outside of the tuition, how much would those be?

Hope that helps you.

Sincerely,

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.