PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Smooth Mesh Preview without Displaying it

justinms66
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a 3D model i am working on that if i press 3 on (enable the smooth mesh preview) it will crash the whole computer.

Is it possible to render out a smooth mesh preview (using mental ray) without it being displayed in the viewports?

mclausch
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Is it possible to render out a smooth mesh preview (using mental ray) without it being displayed in the viewports?
In the attribute editor for the mesh shape, look at the "Smooth Mesh" section. Go to the "Subdivision Levels" subsection. Set "Preview Display Levels" to 0, uncheck "Use Preview Level for Rendering" and then set "Render Division Levels" to 2 (or whatever level of smoothing you want in your render).

Now when you press "3" to go into smooth mesh preview mode, the mesh will use a smooth level of 0 (ie. no smoothing) for the display but will use a smooth level of 2 for rendering in mental ray.

Matt

Mahje
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Don't know what maya u are using but if it's an earlier version then 2009(if I remember it right that's the version they introduced render smooth mesh preview) then u could use this method:

Choose your mesh and then go Window/Rendering Editors/Mental ray/Aprroximation Editor and click Create next to Subdivisions(Polygon and Subd. Surfaces). Then u render.

Hopefully I remember that right, its been awhile since i used it.

But if u use 2009 or later mclausch tip sounded great, gonna check that myself.

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.