PDA

View Full Version : bake fluid density

tymznd
11-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I am relatively new to fluid. I am trying to basically bake the smoke from a fire. Nothing complicated, just black smoke rise and trailing off into the Z direction via a single Wind field.

I have the settings I want so I have chosen to "Save State As" and can now successfully apply that to a new Fluid container.

I can then save that file out, and re-open it and everything is fine.... but when I import, the state is gone (unless I import it into a brand new scene).

When I saved the file maya created a .mayaData directory that has: nameOfScene.mcfi
....The Cache File Name that is listed in the initialState node is not the same, it is reading like:
nameOfScene_fluidShape1.mcfi

So I am confused as to why it works when I open the file (even though the path doesn't seem right) but importing it doesn't.

Can someone just outline their high level workflow around this? Do I have to define a "Project", I would rather not and perhaps put an absolute path in the CacheFileName node?

tymznd
11-05-2009, 02:08 AM
One other observation... if you paste an absolute path into the Cache File Name it tends to store it somehow. If you save the file re-open it, the Cache File Name is a file but if you click into the text box the value immediately changes to the path that was pasted in.... and I was able to get it to work once.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2009, 02:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.