PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow - Character - Speve-O

speveo
08-16-2003, 05:02 PM
* Update! - See page 7 for the final image! *

Click Here! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82258&perpage=15&pagenumber=7)

Here is the sketch. A simple concept, a baby with a huge eyeball!

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/freak.jpg

I want to try create a character that people feel sympathy for as opposed to disgust.

The baby will be clothed. He will most likely wear a cap and a miniature tweed jacket. There will also be a diaper of sorts, or the legs will be covered with a blanket . . . it all depends how the polycount looks after I have the facial detail I am looking for . . .

On to the modelling . . .

ionanism
08-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Cool, I like how the teddy bear has a big eye just like the baby does. It is a nice touch.

speveo
08-17-2003, 10:20 AM
I modelled the Teddy Bear quickly.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/teddy.jpg

It sitting at 1037 tris which is a bit too high. Obviously I've put in a lot of detail that is ultimately going to be removed at the texturing phase, but I like to add that initial detail, just to make sure the model is going the way I want it . . .

I think the final count for the Teddy bear is going to be between 500 - 700 tris, depending on the baby.

- Steve

mindrot
08-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey Speve-O :applause:

Love the bear man. Love the floppieness of its arms and legs... this is gonna be so sweet when it's done...

'er need to post my stuff soon....

rAndall
08-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Yea, the bear already looks cool. Has great appeal.
Looking cool.

speveo
08-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! Been modelling this for the last couple hours. The babies face . . . no huge eyeball yet!

*Image removed due to update*

The count is quite hight at 1900 tris, but I always like to make sure that the model has all the detail I want before I start chopping away. . . also, I might look into normal mapping. :thumbsup:

Now that I have the basic face, I am going to focus on modelling the deformity, and after that a tweed cap to give it a 1850's feel.

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
08-17-2003, 07:56 PM
woohoo looking good man.... damn freaky baby stuff :eek:

speveo
08-17-2003, 09:12 PM
This is the last update before I hit the sack.

Fixed up some proportional issues on the face, made it a bit rounder . . . and started toying with the freaky eye!! I'm going to play with it somemore, but not before I finish some of the other scene & body stuff.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/mesh2.jpg

"City of lost Children" is a cool movie (checked it for reference) . . . if you havent seen it, check it out . . .

Heads up to Mindrot for that one. :thumbsup:

Cheers

- Steve

mindrot
08-17-2003, 09:39 PM
:eek: freaky eye man :surprised

Gonna get mine posted sometime soooon.....

ionanism
08-18-2003, 08:55 AM
The modeling is looking good.

I can’t believe you did all of that modeling in one day, I better get in gear myself and start to model soon.

speveo
08-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Yeah, the modelling for this went pretty quickly. I still have to optimize the geometry which is going to take sometime.

Work is going to consume most of my time during the week, but hopefully I'll still get some stuff done!! :buttrock:

L8r

Steve

-frOogLe-
08-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Haha, what a loser project!

Just Kidding, it's looking kewl Speve-O. Your work kicks ass man!

mindrot
08-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Come on Speve-O

we need to see more :arteest:

speveo
08-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Between being ill, and exhuasted from the evil day job, I havent got much done this week, but last night a started to flesh out his cap a bit. A peasanty tweed cap!

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/mesh3.jpg

I also made the eye larger, and did some little tweaks on the face. I hope to get a lot more done this weekend.

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
08-22-2003, 07:29 AM
looking good man..... yeah me too is sick as you might know so the work flow has also been interupted :annoyed:

-frOogLe-
08-22-2003, 08:19 AM
It's coming on Speve-O, but really we want to see more and you're taking SOoooo long. Why... WHYYYYY!!!

Sweet
-frOogLe-

There are no more Cookies left Damnit!!!

speveo
08-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Here is the latest update. Still unoptimised sitting at 4945 tris. Now I have to try and get the baby and the teddy to fit in snug at 4000 tris . . . :banghead: It's all good!

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/baby1.jpg
http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/baby2.jpg

He's wearing baggy pants btw, not some funky shoes. :) I'll post more tomorrow.

Steve

mindrot
08-23-2003, 07:03 PM
why the wierd sho.... oh I see.... pants..LOL :scream:... just pulling your leg.... looking great man....

Just a thought: what about making the jersey a bit longer, giving it that oversized feel?

:thumbsup:

speveo
08-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Mindrot: Could definately make it longer . . . does the overly long sleeve read well enough?

L8r

Steve

mindrot
08-23-2003, 08:27 PM
yeah, it works well.... you might want to put a bit of a buldge where his hand is underneath the material... I see you do have one there but possibly accentuating it more might make it a bit less ambiguous ;)

ionanism
08-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Your character is looking very nice, if you are having poly count problems you should try and loose some polys in the head area, the eyes mouth nose and ear all look pretty heavy to me.

Hey I know how you feel I am having the same poly problem with my character, just can’t seem to get it under the limit.

speveo
08-24-2003, 09:22 AM
ionanism: Yeah, the head area was way too heavy . . . I was never worried about optimising it though, it can just be a bit laborious sometimes.

Mindrot: Added some extra bulge, and a bit of a twist at the end of the arm.

Here is the latest version, sitting at 3864 tris, with the hat and teddy bear included. I left the hat as a seperate element to make the character more versatile. There are also 130 extra polys to work with, so I can add some fur to the teddy bear, and maybe some hair to the character . . .

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/pcount.jpg

Onto some unwrapping and texturing test, and remember to anyone who reads this thread, any crits or comments are always helpful!! :buttrock:

Cheers

Steve

wartorn
08-24-2003, 05:17 PM
All your discussions are getting me excited about the whole thing, and to make things worse, I CANT SEE ANY PICTURES!!! :D can anyone please tell me whats wrong? I can only see the templates for the pictures, but i click show picture, and nothing appears.. It says "done" in the status bar.. Speve-O i bet youre really making something great, wish i could see it!!!

speveo
08-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Hmmm, thats very strange, it probably has something to do with my service provider or something, not too sure . . . :argh:

If you like I could e-mail the images to you, just let me know.

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
08-24-2003, 07:01 PM
I've had a similar problem with other posts at CGTalk.... :annoyed: anyway.... back to my model...weeeeeeeeee

speveo
08-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Little update. I did some basic texturing on the teddy bear. Not final yet, and I still have to use some transparent alpha planes for fur . . .

Rendered it with 1 omni light in the scene.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/ttex.jpg

Steve

tobe90
08-25-2003, 07:41 AM
good job. I doubt you need alpha for fur (I'm not trying to stop you though, I'm just saying), it looks good as it is. great job!:thumbsup:

mindrot
08-25-2003, 08:25 AM
AAAW cute :p

texturing looks supa sweet Speve.... like the sack bear (itchy)

-frOogLe-
08-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey the teddy is looking awesome. Good texturing job. Now all we need to see is your baby.

Sweet
-frOogLe-

speveo
08-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Finished unwrapping the whole thing. Now to finish texturing!!

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/uv1.jpg
http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/uv2.jpghttp://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/uv3.jpg

Steve

mindrot
08-25-2003, 09:00 PM
hehe it's mister bear all flattened out.... gotta start unwrapping mine soon...:applause:

Ninh
08-25-2003, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm, could anybody attach the image or mirror it, because the picture tends to time out on me... :(

-frOogLe-
08-27-2003, 07:48 AM
Hey Speve-o, this is really looking good. I really want to see the baby rendered like the bear.

Sweet
-frOogLe-

speveo
08-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Texturing update. I'd say its about 80% complete. Just got to do the hands, and other little details. I added some stuffing to Mr. Bear. I've tried to go for an interesting array of materials . . . let me know what you think . . .

These are viewport screencaptures with a bit of sharpening, nothing hi def.

* Images removed due to update - Scroll down*

I'll try finish the model and texturing on the weekend, then onto the rigging and final renders!! Brazil awaits! :buttrock:

BTW, I have been using Cebas Ghostpainter v 2.0 with Photoshop 7, very very useful, I highly recommend it.

Steve

mindrot
08-29-2003, 08:05 AM
:eek: looking good man.... possibly add some subtle browns into the jersey, just to unify things.... How's about some patches on the pants or jersey...other than that sweet man...

Love the stuffing on "Mr. Bear":buttrock:

-frOogLe-
08-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Hey Speve-O

Character is looking really SWEET ASS!
Dig the stuffing on the bear.
Maybe you can add some pockets on the guys clothes and maybe a patch on the bear to give it that more old look wornout look.

But otherwise it's sweet.

Sweet
-frOogLe-

wartorn
08-29-2003, 10:23 AM
hey speve-o, thank for emailing me some renders... Love em... I am also having trouble viewing mindrots renders. Dunno why. Anyway, i love the kid, but only comment is, for the bigger eye, you also have a bigger iris and pupil. How about you keep the same size iris, only larger eye, that way im quite sure it will look freakier, meaning more of his eyeball would show. You could also paint red veins on it. That way the baby will still look cute, but at the same time you will invoke pity in the viewers. great work other than that, and keep it up...

giantrobot
08-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi guys-

Hey,how do I update the image being used on the cgchallenge page? I see that you guys have new images, but mine is still my concept art.

This is my first cgchallenge :)

thanks

wartorn
08-29-2003, 04:30 PM
if youve already submitted an entry, then to modify it you will have to resubmit, by going to the submit or modify entry link... There, u can put a new image which will replace the old one you have. Now this is all hypothetical, as ive never submitted before, im new. But i recall that the link said, submit or modeify entry, and then you get another page where you browse to find the image you want to put up. Hope that helped.

speveo
08-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Wartorn: I am glad you like it so far! Be sure to check out the cgchallenge site for my latest updates. I am going to incorporate your suggestions, the eye was also disturbing me somewhat. :surprised

Cheer

- Steve

speveo
08-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Small update. Changed the eye, textured the hand, added some buttons, changed the colour of the jersey to a more brown colour, added some snotty residue on the big sleeve. :)

Also, I just fixed up the UV stretching on the back of the hat, so thats not there anymore . . .

* Image removed due to update - See next page *

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
08-31-2003, 01:06 PM
hey hey :applause:

looking good man.... eye looks much better... and that snot....eeeeew:eek: .... looks great

wartorn
08-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Yup, definitely, i knew a small iris would help. But i have a suggestion for your final image, please please please, have the boy looking right at us. That way we can actually sense the greater difference between both eyes. His whole body can be in perspective if you wish, but have his head, or at least his eyes, looking at us. That would be freaky.... Great job speve-o.

leigh
09-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Looking pretty freaky, Speve-O :surprised

The skin texture is looking a little blown out though, you might want to try darkening it a bit :)

I personally feel that if this eyeball is to be the kids deformity, then you should make it even bigger than it currently is... go on, totally over-do it! :D

speveo
09-01-2003, 08:22 AM
Leigh: Thanks for the reply. It's a viewport shot, so I've self-illuminated the texture map, because viewport shading is nasty, so it is quite bright. Hmmm, I was going for a more subtle approach to the deformity, but I will experiment with sizing it up somemore.

Wartorn: I still have to rig him, but as soon as I do, I'll start experimenting with the pose, and the eye orientation.

Cheers

Steve

speveo
09-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Did a little update. Added some bruised puffy skin and veins underneath the eyeball and I did make it a bit bigger. Hopefully it makes it look a little more freaky!! :eek:

I also rendered it out as opposed to taking a screenshot, so the skin isnt as washed out.

* Image removed due to update - See further down! *

I'm still going to makes changes to the texture. Also, I still have to rig the character and setup the scene . . .

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
09-01-2003, 09:09 PM
OOOOOW :eek: looks awesome man... the eye looks way better now.. I love th redness in the eyelids. supa sweet

Two suggestions:

1. how's about puting some seamage where the sleaves of the jersey meet with the body of the jersey??

2. and what about alphering shreds of material where the cuff of his right sleave has been torn away?

looks great....

:wavey:

speveo
09-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Good suggestions . . . I'll get right on it!!

Cheers

Speve-O

baaah888
09-02-2003, 12:13 AM
looks great man,

just a sugestion, mindrot said add some loose thereads alpha channelled to the end of the open sleeve. well what about the trousers, i mean the kids gonna be dragging them along the floor all day, and they're perfect, they need a little roughness to them, I can talk from experience about trousers fraying if they hang over your shoes. as all but my suit trousers are shredded at the back :)

leigh
09-02-2003, 12:15 AM
That's definitely looking cool, Speve-O :thumbsup:

The puffy skin and veins are definitely a great touch too, very cool. The skin overall is looking nicer.

I agree that some seams would be a cool addition, and also perhaps some pockets or patches on his pants? He looks a bit destitute, so maybe some threadbare details on his clothing would suit him quite well :)

eYadNesS
09-02-2003, 12:31 AM
nice...
he looks like my little sister doll :)

Keep on working :)

tobe90
09-02-2003, 06:15 AM
the texture on the eye looks awesome. would be cool if the pants could be a little more worn, like a pair of lee-jeans or something, if you now what I mean. I'm truly jealous of that Ghostpainter. Got to get me one of those.

Great job so far.:thumbsup:

speveo
09-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'll dedicate today to making his clothes all worn and abused! It seems to be the general consensus :) I've got a couple extra polys to play with and there is some space on the texture map, so it should be no problem.

Argh . . day jobs just get in the way!! :banghead:

Cheers

Steve

rAndall
09-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Dang Speve-O this kid is looking really cool. You did a great job on the textures so far. I love the rich old quality everything has. I think his cap captures the time period well. Really cool.

speveo
09-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the comments Randall. I am glad you like the texturing so far. I'm hoping to improve it all before D-Day.

Small update

Did a render with decent quality settings, the last one was nasty. Added a little hair to his sideburn area. Added some patches . . . still experimenting. I hated the old pants, so I redid them . . . still got to fray them at the bottom. Still got to fray the jersey. So much work to do, and my pc is sooooo sloooowww.

* Image removed due to update - See further down! *

The textures are unusually crisp because I was too lazy to size them down for the render, so they are at 1024x1024. :twisted:

*Mini-Rant*

Working with Photoshop 7 (with two 50+ layer PSDs), 3ds Max 4 and Ghostpainter 2, all simultaneously, on a Celeron 500 is not fun. To do these final changes and renders is going to be an excercise in patience!!! ARGH!! :banghead:

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
09-03-2003, 07:54 AM
:eek: SWEET JEEBERS!!!

Looking good man... would still (possibly, maybe, perhaps, might, if you want :p ) make the patches on his jersey a bit more roughed up. Give 'em a bit of dirt or something...

speveo
09-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Small update before the weekend. Added some grime, bruises, a cut to the lip, skin blemishes and veins to the face. Also frayed the jersey. Still got more to do. I am going to build the environment this weekend.

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/8560/43_large.jpg

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
09-05-2003, 10:01 PM
:shame: reporting you to the authorities for freakish child abuse :scream:

HEHE looks wicked... that shot of the kid's eye is really creepy man BRRRRR!!!

Can't wait to see the environment :thumbsup:

wartorn
09-06-2003, 01:07 AM
hehehe, like i said, its all in the eyes baby... love the way he stares at us, and nice touch with the grime...... But, i have one question, as im workinng on my model, which will be up soon for c&c, sorry about the delay..... anyway, heres my question. I noticed from your texture sheets that your eyeballs arent welded to the model itself..... Are we allowed to just have separate eyeballs? Or do we have to weld in spheres, or half spheres even? Sorry i stuck this question in here speve-o, but i though maybe you know the answer, or would like to know the answer. Love the kid.... Just dont make him TOO freaky, i want to sleep nights..... thank you.... heheh...

ionanism
09-06-2003, 03:41 AM
I’ve Just got to say that you’re texturing is looking great…love the dirtiness of him.

speveo
09-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the comment. Much appreiciated.

Wartorn: In the competition guidlines it didnt say that the model had to be a single closed mesh . . . so I am sure intersecting geometry is ok. So nope, the eyes wouldnt have to be welded to the model.

Cheers

- Steve

speveo
09-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Here is the environment . . . still building it up.

* Updated - Scroll Down! *

No environment textures are bigger than 512x512, and the scene itself is around 6500 polys, so I am hoping its still within the competition guidelines.

I went for a late afternoon shady feeling with the lighting, but its not final yet. Still going to muck about with the fonts on the canvas.

The baby is going to be chained to the stage, just to add a more animal/freak aspect to it.

Still got to texture the nails and add some stuff.

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
09-07-2003, 12:56 PM
:eek: hehe this is looking grim man....

speveo
09-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Is that good or bad? :twisted:

Speve-O

baaah888
09-07-2003, 03:51 PM
looks great, i dont like the tomato tho, i mean its a little kid so no ones gonna throw rotten fruit at him. and it doesnt look as good as the rest of the scene.

maybe something like a rip in the material would look better than a tomato.

:thumbsup: still great tho.

speveo
09-07-2003, 04:19 PM
baaah888 : Thanks for the comments. I must admit I am still quite keen on the tomato.

Even though the character is a child, it would not make him exempt from peoples cruelty. So a rotten tomato here and there wouldnt be unthinkable. :)

Visually I'll work on it somemore . . .

Cheers

Speve-O

mindrot
09-07-2003, 07:01 PM
good man!!! :scream:

speveo
09-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Small update. Played with the tomato a bit, added the metal placeholders for the chains . . . and changed the canvas a little.

I was playing with a background canvas that was far more involved, with alot more type and some illustration . . . but it all looked too busy, and would detract too much from the model itself. Before I get too far in the envrionment building I want to rig the model . . .

* Updated - Scroll Down! *

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
09-07-2003, 07:47 PM
great quality you have achieved ther mate.... How's about adding an eye symbol to the canvas, just in front of the word eye. Or how about a bunch of different sized eyes all over the place on the canvas... just an idea.... :surprised

Strang
09-07-2003, 08:22 PM
this is sweet, good continuity through out your work... definately getting a circus freak/sideshow feel. almost creepy.

keep em coming

-Strang

speveo
09-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Played around with the eye illustration I did earlier, I sort of like this composition . . .

* Updated - Scroll Down! Almost there! *

Gotta sleep :surprised

Steve

ElysiumGX
09-11-2003, 02:10 AM
Just wanna say I really like this one. In fact, it's very creepy. The texturing is perfect! Dude...creepy!:thumbsup:

Optigon-cg
09-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Very nice and simple set. The texture really makes it. I'd be cool to see the character in there.:thumbsup:

speveo
09-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the comments! :thumbsup:

I've been working on the set a little bit, I'll probably post an update later tonight with the character standing on the stage.

Still got lots to do before the deadline!! :surprised

Cheers

Speve-O

speveo
09-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Here is the latest update. The kid is in the scene, changed some textures. I still have to add the chain, some grass, some loose nails . . . and I still have lots of texture work to do on the kid himself, like pockets etc. I have fondly come to know this character as Billy Eyeball. :) Cheesy as hell, I know.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/babystage.jpg

The pose isnt final. I feel I still have to accentuate the deformity somemore. The final render quality will be much higher.

Here is the baby standalone render for those of you to lazy to checkout the earlier pages. :buttrock:

* Update! - See page 7 for the final image! *

For those of you that havent checked out the animation challenge stuff, I highly recommend you do . . . there is some cool stuff there.

Cheers

Speve-O

mindrot
09-11-2003, 09:40 PM
:cry: looks sooo sad *sniffs*

I love the look on his face.... oooow, those eyes on the banner are creepy, they almost seem to be some sort of weird spectator, continuously watch Billy Eyeball :scream:

speveo
09-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks mindrot! Im trying my best to make the scenario look as creepy as possible . . . wait for the chains . . . oooh yeah. :twisted:

Cheers

Speve-O

melmann
09-12-2003, 04:35 PM
simply amazing! :beer:

speveo
09-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks alot Melmann!! :D

I am trying my best. This weekend is going to be a polishing weekend . . . so hopefully I should make some good progress!!

Cheers

Speve-O

speveo
09-14-2003, 09:20 PM
The weekend wasnt as productive as I would have liked. :thumbsdow

I did numerous little changes to some of the textures. Added the chains . . . I am pretty happy with the look. Changed the pose of Billy, as well as the Teddy.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/beta1.jpg

I am doubting whether or not I am going to add spec and bump maps, but we shall see.

Cheers

Speve-O

mindrot
09-14-2003, 09:24 PM
MAN OH MAN!!! This looks supa good. Much goodness coming from Speve-O :applause:

My weekend wasn't too productive either man. Mucked about on small niggley things :annoyed:

Optigon-cg
09-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Looks awesome:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

wartorn
09-15-2003, 11:12 AM
yup, definitely much better now speve-O. the walls look better (reference to beta1.jpg), and the chains are awesome.... nice going.

speveo
09-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. This challenge has been a blast. I've really enjoyed creating this character and scene!!! :buttrock:

Speve-O

mindrot
09-18-2003, 10:28 PM
hey man... just had an idea.... how's about puting a small tear :cry: running down the side of his face from his "eye"? might add that extra bit of sympathy....

speveo
09-18-2003, 11:18 PM
This will be the last update I post until the final render is done . . . the refinements are becoming so miniscule . . .

Added specular to the metal elements (chain & nails), added some food residue to the jersey, added a bruise to the neck area, but you can't really see it in this render. Tweaked the canvas texture, added pebbles to the ground, changed the layout of the nails . . . hmm various other little things!!

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/beta3.jpg

Mindrot: Played with the tear idea . . . not enough res on the maps to make it look convincing enough, but it looked okay. I might toy with it more on the weekend.

L8r

Speve-O

mindrot
09-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Cool man.... look forward to seeing the results.....

good luck :beer:

Optigon-cg
09-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Great work! And you finished first out of everyone here. Well, an artist's work is never truly finished, right? :beer:

the-mighty-m
09-19-2003, 08:48 AM
really awesome steve! really impressive!

view my freak (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=838271#post838271)

speveo
09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks mighty_m!!

Thanks Option-Cg. hehe, It's true you can tweak artwork to death, but you just have to learn to let go! :)

I am still going to try and add a few things, time permitting. I'm thinking of adding a soiled blanket with a half loaf of mouldy bread lying on it . . . or something to that effect.

Mindrot: Render times are my enemy!! :banghead: Hopefully I can get it all done well before Sunday. :surprised

Cheers

Speve-O

mindrot
09-19-2003, 09:29 AM
:annoyed: RENDER TIMES BAD!!!! :annoyed:

I was also gonna use Brazil to render with, but I don't have the patience to wait for the sucka :cry:

speveo
09-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Mindrot's beautiful texture maps inspired me to post my own, so here they are!

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/Map1.jpghttp://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/Map2.jpg

L8r

Speve-O

mindrot
09-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Speve-O
Mindrot's beautiful texture maps inspired me to post my own....

Speve-O

AAAW shucks you make me blush :blush: thanks

Sweet Jebus!!!!!! :shame: That poor child!!!!

Damn Speve-O looking mighty fine there your self... that green on his neck :eek:

You created a real sensation of filth and dirt there :thumbsup:

speveo
09-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Here is the final image.

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/8560/43_large.jpg

1 hour later and the cgchallenge site still hasn't updated the new text and thumbnail . . . they really need to fix that, it's very irritating.

Still going to post the wireframes, alternate views, etc etc.

Cheers

Speve-O

speveo
09-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Here are the wireframes.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/w2.jpg http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/w1.jpg

More wireframes . . .

Updated the environment shot, the last one wasn't great . . .

Environment Wireframe (147 kb) (http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/enviro.jpg)

Face Closeup (35 kb) (http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/facewire.jpg)

speveo
09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Here is a compilation shot.

http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/extras.jpg

Here is a more hi-res version of the final image . . its a biggie!! :buttrock:

Hi Res Widescreen Final Shot (293 kb) (http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/hires.jpg)

speveo
09-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Here is the final scene info . . .

Teddy - 660 Triangles

Billy - 3230 Triangles

Character Total (including prop) - 3890

The polygon count for the scene (excluding character and prop) is 16162 triangles. It could easily be optimised lower, but seeing as the upper limit in the competition guidelines was around 50000 - 75000 polys, I'm going to leave it as is. :thumbsup:

There are 10 textures in total for the scene.

Wood1 512x512 (Used on the stage, and canvas supports)
Wood2 256x256 (Used on the stage poles)
nailhead 64x64 (used on the nails head)
genmetal 256x256 (used on the chains and the nail shaft)
ground 512x512 (used on the ground plane)
wall 1024x512 (used on the wall)
canvas1 512x512 (the canvas with the writing)
canvas2 512x512 (the canvas with the eyeballs)
Bread 256x256 (used on the mouldy bread)
Blanket 256x256 (used on the blanket)

The only specular is on the characters eyes, the chains and nailheads. The only bump map used was on the bread.

And to end of. This challenge has been awesome. I have had alot of fun. :buttrock:

The entries have been amaizing so far. I just wish that all the other Challenges got as much support as the Classic Challenge does, but hopefully that will change in the future!! :beer:

Cheers

Speve-O

Ivars
09-21-2003, 02:48 PM
That looks really nice! Beautiful textures. And you did a good job on the render.
One thing though: If you´re panning to animate that kid, he won´t be able to bend his legs, because he aint got any knees in the mesh...... That might cause you some trouble. So if you have any faces spare, I suggest you add a loop or two to his legs:thumbsup:

speveo
09-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks alot Ivars! I never planned on animating him, but I will definately add some loops to his legs if I need to! Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

Why didn't you enter this months challenge? I was looking forward to seeing your entry!!

Cheers

Speve-O

speveo
09-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Took Ivars advice and added an extra loop to his legs . . . I had the extra polys, plus I changed a few little things. Might as well be comprehensive!! :)

I updated the wireframes and images to reflect the new count.

Cheers

Speve-O

mindrot
09-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Lookin supa man..... I like the compilation shot.... :thumbsup:

Good luck :beer:

Dargon
09-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Top notch entry!

Top 3 for absolute sure,

Probably #1!!

Great job, you should be proud!

:beer:

ionanism
09-22-2003, 02:18 AM
Looking good Speve-O …he got dirtier and dirtier every time I would check up on your progress on him…great textures…I like the bruising around his neck…nice touch. The environment is also great.

the-mighty-m
09-22-2003, 08:44 AM
i like it alot, although the kid (although a freak) is kinda cute!!! widdle fweak is cutesy wutsey!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

see my fweak! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=841222#post841222)

speveo
09-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks alot guys! I really enjoyed putting this scene together.

Dargon: Thanks, lets hope the judges thinks so!

ionanism: Dirt and grime is probably one of the most important visual elements, especially to get that 19th century feeling. It was awesome mucking everything up. :twisted:

mighty_m: Yeah, I was going for a bit of a sympathetic/cute edge . . . hehe. Glad you like the little fweak! :surprised

Cheers

Speve-O

Castor76
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Steve...it's good to see that you have finished the model!

I like you choice in design. Your character is simple and yet
unique. Simple enough to give extra polycounts to the model
like this one where normally it wouldn't. I guess because it was
designed simple (therefore more polys), it could have extra that
roundness feel. (And it does look good because of) Clever...!
And it renders better too!

:applause:

Just few things, Everything is cool except that I think your model
is not that animation friendly. Have look at the elbow and the knee and all the shoulder joints. I think you should spend more
attention on those areas. (right now they look the same as the
other part of the body.)

Anyway, I might see you again in the next challange.

speveo
09-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Hey Castor! Nice to hear from you. :beer:

The shoulders and elbows havent given me any problems really. Rigging them was quite straight forward and I get the full range of movement that I need so it hasn't turned out too bad.

Young children tend to have these really chubby & round features, and I really wanted to emphasize that . . so most of the polys went into the face and the hands. I'm happy with the way it turned out and I am glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Hope to see you in the next challenge too.

Cheers

Speve-O

speveo
09-30-2003, 09:41 AM
I got some feedback on some other forums, the one thing that people didnt seem to like was the fact that the baby obscured the sign alot. So I moved him over a little so you can pretty much see the whole sign.

Hi Res New Composition (350 kb) (http://www.icon.co.za/~shmuely/newrender.jpg)

I'm going to do some changes to the scene for my portfolio, and I am going to redo some textures in the scene and try and get this sucker ready for the next Expose submission . . .

Cheers

Steve

mindrot
09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
good one brother... good one!!

nice to see the text in the background......

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.