PDA

View Full Version : MR Very fine texture sampling trick

Doerge
11-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi there.

I'm using the procedural cloth node from Maya to texture a mia_shader in different ways. bump, anisotropy. I'm quite happy with it, but because it is repeated sooo many times I have to render with insane sampling settings to get good results.

I tried using filter look up's but it just smudged all the details rather than just smoothing the sampling.

So any tips for either rendering very fine details or some trick like using filter look ups properly? (MR btw..)

cheers.

royter
11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi there.

I'm using the procedural cloth node from Maya to texture a mia_shader in different ways. bump, anisotropy. I'm quite happy with it, but because it is repeated sooo many times I have to render with insane sampling settings to get good results.

I tried using filter look up's but it just smudged all the details rather than just smoothing the sampling.

So any tips for either rendering very fine details or some trick like using filter look ups properly? (MR btw..)

cheers.

just use a normal maya file node with mimap filtering and turn down the effect to 0.2.

Sorath
11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
there's also a mentalray sampling section in file texture nodes Mentalray part. try these.. seems quite nice what I've figured out so far.

joie
03-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Sorry guys but, cloth texture in MAYA is procedural, so you can't use that MR tricks there at all.

Any more tips?.

DutchDimension
03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Then bake it out to a UV map. That alone will probably speed up your render times a bit because it'll just be a look-up instead of an expensive procedural shader evaluation for each shading point.
Once it's in a texture map you can use elliptical filtering and what have you....

Sorry guys but, cloth texture in MAYA is procedural, so you can't use that MR tricks there at all.

Any more tips?.

joie
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I just hoped there was another method to use with procedurals...

Kinematics
03-17-2010, 07:26 AM
I heard a theory once. I hope it doesn't sound silly but how about rendering at twice the resolution and reducing your sampling. I think with that and you down res. It should retain the closeup details but smudge the details in the background into a nice smooth color with slight detail....maybe. =) hope it helps

DutchDimension
03-17-2010, 08:50 AM
In essence, that's kind of what super sampling does. Instead of, for instance, firing 1 sample through each pixel to find out it's colour, the engine fires 4, or 16, 64, etc.
The added advantage of course being able to set min and max values and a controlling threshold. But then again neither of these options are exactly cheap, as the OP already knows.
Best to stick with proper bitmap based filtering methods.

I heard a theory once. I hope it doesn't sound silly but how about rendering at twice the resolution and reducing your sampling. I think with that and you down res. It should retain the closeup details but smudge the details in the background into a nice smooth color with slight detail....maybe. =) hope it helps

joie
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I hope they implement the eliptical filter for procedurals also...

snikt
03-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Hi Doerge,
I would go with royterr here in terms of a solution.Once you are done with the look in procedural, turn down your tiling(uv placement node) back to defaults.Attach your shader to a square plane geometry and bake the texture to a file texture of your choice and resolution.Now with the file texture in your shader you can tile it back to your original settings.With the file texture you can get more control over the filtering.Hope that was useful.
Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2010, 05:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.