PDA

View Full Version : Panic Atack! / Small Movie, Big Robots. (By FedeAlvarez)

fedalvar
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm from Montevideo (Uruguay... small country between Argentina and Brasil), and I wanted to share with everybody my last short movie.

It's about Giant Robots, coming to destroy my small city. I think maybe it's an attempt to make the city look bigger and more important.. :buttrock: ..at least in the Giant Robot's schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk
(Watch'it in HQ!)

It took U$s300 to shoot the live action, and then maybe a year to complete the 90 vfx shots (during very interrupted periods...)

I used Premiere, After, Photoshop, 3dMax, Boujou, Glu3d and FumeFx.

The modeling, mapping and rigging of the Robots, fighters and planes was made by Mauro Rondan. (mauro@aparato.tv)

Looking foward to hear your feedback!
Hope you'll like it!

FedeAlvarez.
(www.aparato.tv (http://www.aparato.tv))

Some stills:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147896&stc=1

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147897&stc=1

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147894&stc=1

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147894&stc=1)

GKDantas
11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Great video Fedalvar, looks that now we from Latim America can be invaded and not only EUA! Very good video, hope to see some making of later.

Dogzer
12-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I love it! Awesome the way you made Antel's building explode! :drool:

jimmy4d
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
nice job mate............nice fume work too. i loved it.:beer:

lipuster
12-03-2009, 02:18 AM
shit this is mind blowing stuff.great direction and vfx. surprised this hasn't made front page.

Freebirth
12-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Excellent work Fede! And on a shoe-string budget! I like your style.

Didn't this land you a directing deal with Sam Raimi's production company? Congratulations! It's great seeing fresh talent given opportunities to shine. Make it happen! Good luck!

P.S. If you need any help animating for your movie, I'd love to help!

canta3d
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
muy buen trabajo!!! increible la direccion! te felicito, desde argentina!

ddustin
12-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Very, very well done!

David

amckay
12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Fantastic work Fedalvar, amazing especially for the budget! Very inspirational for I'm sure many film makers - dont really need millions of dollars to produce nice visual work!

Klemen
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow, these have to be the most action-packed 5 minutes I've ever seen :eek:

Congratulations!

Paul McLaughlin
12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Nice film, congrats on the deal. Spend the money on hookers and blow.

JohnnyRandom
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
The camera work/camera match IMO were really well done, that is what stood out to me the most ;) and that great atmosphere in the beginning. Cheers :)

fiveoften
12-05-2009, 02:03 AM
very nice movie. i hope you use the money and blow up the fu..ing big box office movies away.

i like your work and its so awsome for the low money.

unclebob
12-06-2009, 05:41 PM
this is really good stuff, very well done and on such a small budget. Congratulations.

nitrocom
12-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi there, g8 job, I was wondering how can you manage the crowd like that ? There are probably min. of 50 different people around and they are real (not a anything generated)...

Anyway, good job again...

VictorSantos
12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Congratulations buddy! first of all for this nice video and for the upcoming project ( I heard about the movie and all that stuff ).

It's nice to heard from projects like this coming out from a nice and good short film.

keep it up amigo!

cheers!

simyevil2010
12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
wow really very good work i like it 2 much i see here real movie

good luck 4 ever :applause:

RANDO3D
12-20-2009, 08:02 AM
An emotional piece! Brilliant work!

GKDantas
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Man, I saw about the great news, you got a report in the television here in Brazil. Congratulations and dont forget us here!

bl4ckd0g
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
i find this anything but impressive, i'm sorry to be blunt but that's just what it is.
The animation is approximative and the same about FXs.
The model quality seems fair, but the overall design is cheap, i'd say that's to spare modeling & rendering time and that's ok, but there's nothing to be impressed since retro-robots where already seen in major pictures (eg: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow).

Btw congrats for the contract with Raimi, i'm looking forward to see how this will turn out.

BColbourn
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
all the news sites are reporting this short took 300$ to make, which is just a tiny bit misleading. great short tho, top notch effects mostly.

Jeremydjutras
12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
great job. awesome VFX.

danlefeb
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice short. And congratulations on the Raimi deal!

oem
12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Awesome piece of work! Well done.

Thiago-Pires
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Amazing work!!
Congratulations and good luck with your next film!!

psychoticprankster
12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
You say this movie cost you 300 to make, all the programs you have used cost thousands
so your ethier openly admiting to piracy or you are lying about your budget, which one is it ?

GKDantas
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
If you put the cost of all your softwares, machines and other gadgets that you use to make a movie, it always will be a lot of money. I think he is saying about production costs, this doesnt involve machines (only if you rent them), only people, cattering transport and some tapes to shot the movie...

Heroes
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Any of the software you listed would single handidly cost more than the $300.

By looking at the credits, there's about 20 people working on this project.

I guess any movie only costs about $300 if you don't include salaries, special effects, equipment, software, food, electricity. I'm not exactly sure what would be left.

JohnnyRandom
12-24-2009, 12:33 AM
What is up with you guys?

Who is to say that he/they don't already own the software($0.00), salaries (who said anyone was paid to work on it), maybe that $300 whatever it was used to gets rights to something, a license fee or to pay a municipality for usage permits? EDIT: after rereading the OP he said the live actions shots were $300...

There are a ton of shorts out there that didn't cost but peoples times to make them.

BTW I know for a fact that kind of money can go a long way in certain regions of the planet.;)

waza123
12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Author, you are news star in Russia

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=332819

shirinleung
12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Tonight, Panic Attack was on the news (which is broadcasted in Hong Kong and Macau). My brother and I saw the full movie on youtube and we loved it. Congratulations on your success! At school we are learning about animation and your work is very inspiring. I am amazed at how much commitment you have put forth in creating this movie and my brother and I are still wondering how you managed to do it all using only $300 dollars!

Tizz
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
It's a great short, but I'm annoyed you totally failed to mention you where HUGELY INSPIRED by this short animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKHe8HVP_Q

The guys who did this original must be so gutted you took so hugely from them and then got a contract.

I do like yours far better, you've got good directional skills but seriously, don't forget to give credit where credits due.

fedalvar
12-29-2009, 08:19 PM
It's a great short, but I'm annoyed you totally failed to mention you where HUGELY INSPIRED by this short animation.

The guys who did this original must be so gutted you took so hugely from them and then got a contract.

I do like yours far better, you've got good directional skills but seriously, don't forget to give credit where credits due.

Hey, if you check the info in my youtube link, you gonna see that same link bro... Bobby the Groot, is on the thanks list at the end of the video, he es from House Of Secrets, the post house who did that short... I was very in touch with him since the begining of my project. I mention in every interview, that I was inspired by that short movie. Bobby is very happy about how everything turn out.

Hordak
12-30-2009, 05:23 AM
So many haters.. :rolleyes:

Good job and Congratz!

Tizz
12-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Not a hater at all lol :) I really love what they've done and achieved, its amazing!

I think it stems back from seeing a friend inspire someone else and never getting any credit, i sore on youtube its credited in the more info, thats cool :)

Didn't mean any disrespect by what i said anyway, hard to convey how i was saying that on the internet lol, just read the post and was like "huh this is very similar to a previous film lol"

But like i said yours shows great directional talent and the way its all put together is brilliant, very nice feel to it, reminded me of District 9 a tad.

Great to see your active and reply though, much love, and hope future projects turn out great!

DoLeeP
12-31-2009, 04:22 AM
brilliant thats what I like about our job if u have real talent you can almost achieve any thing congratulation

eed123456
12-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Very, very well done!

iwuh
12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
amazing!!! :applause:

marilyna
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Congratulations for the amazing direction and the vfx, which look awesome! I would love to see a making of sometime! Well done and good luck to your next job :applause:

Heroes
01-15-2010, 04:58 AM
So many haters.. :rolleyes:

Good job and Congratz!

I don't know if you were referring to me as one of the "haters". I'm not "hating". I actually find this story to be very inspiring. However, it's interesting that he has not replied any of the comments on this forum from numerous people asking him what exactly constitutes this $300. He has an entire team who worked on this project if you look at the credits. Media outlets are saying "Panic Attack turns $300 YouTube.com video into $30 million deal". How come he hasn't said anything to clear this up?

The people on this forum asking were probably not "hating", it's just that they themselves are probably artists who want to know how they could use just $300 to make a video like that.

eyesea
01-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Great conception and compositing, a real blast to watch.

xxbinxx
09-07-2010, 05:36 PM
How is thing going with the film? any update please?
thanks

Dogzer
09-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Luck is a selective companion

Imaver
09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Grean video and effects - it was interesting to watch :thumbsup:

vecino
06-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Fede Alvarez y Mauro Rondan son unos maestros
Vamo arriba!!

zein-chaieb
05-18-2012, 01:17 AM
this is an amazing short movie and im waiting to watch evil dead by alvarez, If anybody wanna make a movie like this, join me plz, this is the website www.zeinchaieb.com , contact me by email or phone ...

Emiliano
08-10-2012, 02:11 AM
arriba Uruguay, carajo! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2012, 02:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.