PDA

View Full Version : Silo price announced

jamchild
08-16-2003, 06:28 AM
Hey folks, for those who are interested, the price of Silo is now posted online with some new info. (The official website is still forthcoming, however.) www.nevercenter.com (http://www.nevercenter.com)
-Tom
(Silo Developer)

Ibox
08-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Awesome news there jamchild... simply outstanding... I can hardly wait to test drive this baby :applause: :beer: :thumbsup:

roger
08-16-2003, 06:48 AM
WOW!!
Silo (http://www.nevercenter.com/) for $109!?! :eek:

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

paintbox
08-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Seems to have great features for a 1.0 release, plus the price is absolutely fantastic.

Can't wait to try out the demo ! :arteest:

JB
08-16-2003, 07:31 AM
How does this compare to Wings 3D? is it comparable?

thedaemon
08-16-2003, 07:50 AM
anyone else think this looks very similar to Clay??

alphatron
08-16-2003, 08:02 AM
The Price is Right! :thumbsup:

Ibox
08-16-2003, 08:11 AM

only if you want it to... ;)

then again I suppose from what I have read, that one could snag the icons/buttons from any app one is used to and paste em where they should go and voila looks like whatever eh... for that matter make it entirely your own app, get creative... who cares whether or not it looks like this or that? Do the tools work as they should? Does the workflow you create work better than with what you currently use now? beyond which, model on dude... whatever comes to ya... oh yea baby... I sure hope it is as sweet as it is touted to be

Peter Reynolds
08-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Looks sweet. Definitely worth a test drive. Nice Price too.

What operating systems will it run on?

SheepFactory
08-16-2003, 11:22 AM
wow thats a great price!

i am looking forward to test the demo.

BazC
08-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Looks great doesn't it, it's windows only at the moment, don't know which ones, Linux and Mac OSX due for release later this year.
Looking forward to trying this and Modo, though I think Modo will be a lot more expensive! :o( - Baz

shapeshifter
08-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by thedaemon

I know little to nothing about clay. Only that ambient is one of the beta testers...So could someone tell me a bit more about this app? (without violating any NDAs of course :))

Thanks

lildragon
08-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Sounds great, will definitely test drive it.

-lild

Scottosh
08-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Allright,very cool,thanks for the tip.:beer: :beer:

BazC
08-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Shapeshifter, all the beta testers will say is that Clay is fun to use!
Ambient Whisper recently said he didn't think it would be available for about two years.
I saw a screenshot a while ago, can't remember where now, and there was virtually no GUI, very like Silo but without the optional buttons. I think that is about all anyone will tell you. - Baz

shapeshifter
08-16-2003, 09:50 PM
BazC:

Thank you for the info! Don't know but is it "normal" that a prgram gets beta tested 2 years before it is supposed to be released? That would mean the "end user" can take quite some influence on the program -nice.

Does anyone know the qualifications needed to enter such a beta test team?

SheepFactory
08-16-2003, 10:41 PM
i was checking the menu's

from the list i gather there is no:

soft selection

Tweak\dragnet\etc kind of tools.

Slide ( http://members.lycos.co.uk/clacos/Slide.html )

and Bridge.

I am not going to pass any judgement before I play with the demo , but I hope they add these tools in the future or have some alternatives to those in the current toolset.

BazC
08-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Shapeshifter - Clay is being developed by one man, I don't think it actually has a release date, more like "when it's finished" Two years is just AmbientWhisper's estimate. If you want to beta test just contact the developer, but by all accounts he's pretty fussy! The site has been down for quite a while, but when it's back up I'd e-mail him.

Sheep - I agree, I NEED those tools :o) - Baz

sevenfingers
08-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Interesting software.
I especially liked the pricetag, so perhaps I could run it alongside with Max, Wings and Rhino.

Seeing as it's a subdiv modeler, I can't wait to see how they solved boolean issues.

Only thing in the menus that was sort of new for me was unsibdivide. I wonder how it deals with subdivided triangles and other nsided polys, as they turn in to quads in most subdiv algorithms...

ANyway, I'll be sure to give it a testdrive.

policarpo
08-17-2003, 01:24 AM
Awesome news...can't wait to give this puppy a test drive.

Here's wishing you guys the greatest success possible!

Sky_DaBomB
08-17-2003, 02:16 AM
just wondering is there gonna be some kinda demo out soon?

roger
08-17-2003, 02:51 AM
Sky_DaBomB - from there website (http://www.nevercenter.com/) is says "Our new website will launch during the week of August 18th, and will include a free downloadable demo of the program."

So in answer of your question.......YES! :p

holosynthetic
08-17-2003, 05:58 AM
and the countdown begins...

Cararan
08-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Seem like something i would like to try. Hopefully it lives up to the things that it says it do.

jamchild
08-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Hi there- just wanted to drop a line that soft selection is in there (we just added it to the menu on the website). Look for specialized tools to be released in the form of plugins (we want to keep the basic interface clean and unimposing for those new to 3D modeling).

Ibox
08-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Hey, thanx for taking the time to update us Jam, sounds good.

LucentDreams
08-17-2003, 09:36 AM
I guess in some ways it looks a little like the screen shots from clay, but only in visual appearance, Can't go into too much about differences without violating NDA, so I wan't, I'm interested to try Silo when its out, but I'm sure I'll stick with Clay, I just hope that like Clay, Sio will be an app that puts a smile on your face when using it, rather then creating a permanent furrow in your brow fromm pure frustration of modeling.

The interface design to me I think is similar because of what they mention on the site which is similar to Clay's concept to, an appliocation designed for the artist to model in, little gui element (unlike moho, which to me makes no sense why a subd modeler needs so many gui elements, I mean for UV's sure but thet app is as crowded as any mainstream full featured app and all it does is model)

Joviex
08-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Kaiskai
(unlike moho, which to me makes no sense why a subd modeler needs so many gui elements, I mean for UV's sure but thet app is as crowded as any mainstream full featured app and all it does is model)

You got some inside info I take it? Since you obviously know what direction Modo will take when it comes out?

LucentDreams
08-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by amorano
You got some inside info I take it? Since you obviously know what direction Modo will take when it comes out?

first of all hehe I can't believe I called it moho (an IK flash animation package) instead of modo.

Anyways, I have no insider info for modo, but you don't need insider info for the statment you quoted. Watch the vids look at the screencaps, sure modo has the ability to get rid of all the other interface elements and have a fullscreen editor window, but how good is its workflow once those things are gone, how easy is it to use all the tools and such, why are they there in the first place. Just looke at silo and Wings, prime example that when modeling its about a clean simple workspace, no need for a whole bunch of little dialogue windows or tabs.

Peter Reynolds
08-17-2003, 11:05 AM
modo = dodo?

We shall see.

Maybe we will see a return to the "good old days" where we model in 1 app, animate in another, render in another?

With motion builder and animanium floating around, there are interesting times ahead.

It will be also interesting to see the impact on the industry.

Say you had a small production that required 5 seats of XSI for modelling and another 5 seats for animation? Well if most of your modelling is taken care of with something like Wings, Then you only need to pay for 5 seats of XSI instead of 10. Which leaves you more money to spend on people - so maybe your quality goes up?

shapeshifter
08-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by BazC
If you want to beta test just contact the developer, but by all accounts he's pretty fussy! The site has been down for quite a while, but when it's back up I'd e-mail him.

Thanks for the info. I'll try as you suggested. With all those new apps out it will be interesting to see which ones will still be there in 1-2 years ;)

BazC
08-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Yeah, Clay is the one that interests me most, shame it's likely to be so long in arriving! - Baz

Karlstok
08-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Peter Reynolds
modo = dodo?

We shall see.

Maybe we will see a return to the "good old days" where we model in 1 app, animate in another, render in another?

With motion builder and animanium floating around, there are interesting times ahead.

It will be also interesting to see the impact on the industry.

Say you had a small production that required 5 seats of XSI for modelling and another 5 seats for animation? Well if most of your modelling is taken care of with something like Wings, Then you only need to pay for 5 seats of XSI instead of 10. Which leaves you more money to spend on people - so maybe your quality goes up?

Really good point,I was thinking along those lines too.i'll be giving it a test run too.:beer:

Cyberdigitus
08-18-2003, 02:04 AM
109$ ? Makes me wonder how much Modo will be...

-JT-
08-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Good price, now i look forward to the demo !!!

jono338
08-21-2003, 02:56 PM
tick tick tick tick tiiiiiiick

Cararan
08-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah i'm waiting for the demo myself.

holosynthetic
08-21-2003, 09:29 PM
the week of august 18th can only last so long..they have 3 days and counting..

danb
08-22-2003, 06:41 AM
wow there is some great things happining in 3d. Renderer--renderman for i think 2 or 3000. Modeller--wings for free. Animation--motion builder for 995. and a nice dynamics package like REAL FLOW 1200. and one could have a powerhouse pipeline in his living room. Give or take a few programs. all this competition is bound to drive prices on everything really low. EXCELLENT:buttrock:

Ibox
08-22-2003, 07:04 AM
well, it should be very interesting come tommorow, that is if tommorow is ever to come with Silo... tick tock, tick tock...

roger
08-22-2003, 08:20 PM
New Silo website (http://www.nevercenter.com/) is up, but still no demo.........:annoyed:

The Time Serpent
08-22-2003, 08:34 PM
hmmmm ineresting.....:curious:

AmbientLight
08-23-2003, 12:26 AM
C'mon guys. Let them finish coding :) At least they are not hyping their product like those infamous MODO SHMODO revolutioners with a new way to collapse menus and windows. So it might just be good :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.