PDA

View Full Version : SuperCar Challenge by RealtimeUK

shoey
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is our latest cinematic from RealtimeUK.

The movie is 100% 3D (some people ask :) ) was made in 3dsmax and rendered in Vray. Post effects were done in After Effects and Look Suite.

All of the cars were hand animated using the same rigs we developed on Split/Second and the Motorstorm movies.

Production took place over 8 weeks, and was completed by 5 artists.

(click for larger)
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SuperCarChallenge_sm.jpg (http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SuperCarChallenge.jpg)

The HD movie can be downloaded HERE (http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SuperCarChallenge.mov)

Or, you can watch it on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/7401277)

More work from realtime:uk (http://www.realtimeuk.com)

------------------------------------

Extra images/photos:

FXX Shader Tests (click for larger)
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_FXX_sm.jpg (http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_FXX.jpg)

TrackDay reference
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_Track01.jpg
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_Track02.jpg
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_Track03.jpg

The Crew at the TrackDay. We had the whole place to ourselves whilst we walked the circuit.
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_Crew01.jpg
http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_Crew02.jpg

Cheers,
Phil

googboog8
11-04-2009, 09:18 AM
nice!!! i loved it.. and i recognize the oulton park circuit haha!!

Sully
11-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Amazing work guys!

TP
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
WOW, mind blowing , gr8 work , very photorealistic :buttrock: :buttrock:

mrtprodz
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
You guys never ceased to amazed me, I mean, each time you post a work you did
I'm speechless. This one was 100% photo realistic, I was stunned and saw the whole
video frame by frame :buttrock:

I would love to watch a small overall making of, 5 people, 8 weeks, this beauty.
This is just amazing.

I have also a question, when you work for games (cinematic) do you actually model
cars etc? Or is it provided by the game company? (high res models for example..)

Fantastic job you did, congratulations.

shoey
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks Guys!

I have also a question, when you work for games (cinematic) do you actually model
cars etc? Or is it provided by the game company? (high res models for example..).It depends on the Client/Timeframe/Cost. In this case the car models were supplied to us from the developer. In the case of something like stormbirds, they were made by us.

Lambchopo
11-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Dope! Great work Phil and Realtime UK!

Lambchopo
11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Big fan of yall's work!

RobertoOrtiz
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Great work!
Plugged!
Could you talk a bit about the production?

shoey
11-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Great work!
Plugged!
Could you talk a bit about the production?Thanks!

What would you like to know? Are there any specifics, or just a general rundown?

kivi
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
That rainy mood is just amazing!

Ayro
11-04-2009, 07:58 PM
This is unreal. I hope to model cars like that one day!

loran
11-04-2009, 08:05 PM
What about your car rigs? How was it basically set up?

shoey
11-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Here is a before after of the first level of grading.

http://www.realtimeuk.com/cgtalk/SCC_FXX_compare.jpg

Everything was rendered with quite a dull flat render, without too much contrast. This meant that we had more dynamic range to work with when grading, as we weren't using 32bit.

This was the first stage of the grade, that was worked out at a very early stage. It was actually first tested by bringing a tiff into Adobe Camera Raw and applying the kind of editing I would normally apply to a DSLR photo. I could change white balance and exposure, and add camera defects such as vignetting and abberations.

Once we were happy with the first pass of grade, that look was copied as closely as possible in "look suite" (in after effects).

The grading was then left as its first pass until a lot later on in the stage of production. We tend to get used to seeing an image a certain way, so it was good for us to grade it once and get used to it. This way when we came back to final grading at the end, it was as if we'd started with something that was already looking like film.

^^^Does that make sense to anyone else, or only in my head :D

Anyway......

Other info???

All rendered in Vray with Physical Cameras, True Motion Blur, and True Depth of Field. (all in camera)

All the lenses used were of focal lengths that match real world lenses that would be used for racing photography. On the TrackDay we made a point of taking photos of the kind of shots we wanted in the movie, and from those could work out how much DOF we would get and how much Foreshortening would be apparent. All the cars look better foreshortened anyway, as it's how you're used to viewing them on TV.

So, a lot of the lenses ended up being around the 300mm to 400mm mark. We also tried to place some of the cameras in the right position on the track.

Basically just did as much as we could think of to make it look as real as possible.

I'll try to think of some more info :wip:

Cheers,
Phil

azazel
11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
This looks really, really great. May I ask some questions? ;)
Did you use the photos from the track as a texturing material for the environment? Any camera mapping tricks?
Did you capture hdrs or grey balls on the track?
:beer:

shoey
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
What about your car rigs? How was it basically set up?The car rigs are our own that we have developed over the years, starting with the original Motorstorm Movie.

They basically just give us constrained movement controls on all parts of the car, i.e the control for ride height only lets you pull the car up or down to a set travel on the suspension, and the wheels are limited to turn to a set degree. We also have seperate controls for drift, and rolls.

It's nothing complicated, it just has nice clear controls that can all be hand animated or have a noise run through them.

There's no complicated scripting going on.

This looks really, really great. May I ask some questions? ;)
Did you use the photos from the track as a texturing material for the environment? Any camera mapping tricks?
Did you capture hdrs or grey balls on the track?
:beer:Yes, we made a point of taking photos of the treelines, fences, clouds, tyrewalls, and used them wherever possible for texture reference or backplates. Some camera mapping was also used for some of the more static cameras.

The HDRI we used was one we already had in our texture library. I just knew that it would be a good match :D

mrtprodz
11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Thank you very much for your answer :thumbsup:

TheWraith
11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
5 guys 8 weeks?
does that include planning or is that just once everybody sat down and began modeling etc? also, how fast was the turn around for the cars? were all the artists generalists?

i could easily see myself spending a couple of weeks on each of those cars, and when you multiply how many of them there were... it just seems pretty quick once you start throwing on animating, lighting, texturing etc.. plus all the background props and elements

tsne16487
11-04-2009, 11:25 PM
The cars took 10 weeks to produce, but that was for 2 versions. First one was the FE high res cars that you see in the vid and also the Multi-LOD in game cars (Although the FE ones from the Vid are also in the games front end interface section, only you cant control the camera).

This makes 2 models produced from the same production cycle, makes it more efficient, and includes mapping, game shader tech, morphs, vinyls and functionality.

Its great working with real-time, as they really bring our cars to life. Normally we never give out our high res models to anyone, but since it was realtime it wasnt an issue. You guys are awesome, and who knows if you watch this space maybe you'll see some more of their work bringing more of our assets to life, only a little bit different. ;)

Defonten
11-04-2009, 11:39 PM
This is F**** unbelievable!!! Superior work!!! Realistic leaves as a finishing touch (to finish the poor viewer) were also awesome! My congrats to the whole team! Great work!

shoey
11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
5 guys 8 weeks?
does that include planning or is that just once everybody sat down and began modeling etc? also, how fast was the turn around for the cars? were all the artists generalists?

i could easily see myself spending a couple of weeks on each of those cars, and when you multiply how many of them there were... it just seems pretty quick once you start throwing on animating, lighting, texturing etc.. plus all the background props and elementsThe 8 weeks is just Production. Not admin and planning. Fulltime, there were 2 modellers and 3 generalists.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the assets were supplied by the client.

shoey
11-04-2009, 11:46 PM
The cars took 10 weeks to produce, but that was for 2 versions. First one was the FE high res cars that you see in the vid and also the Multi-LOD in game cars (Although the FE ones from the Vid are also in the games front end interface section, only you cant control the camera).

This makes 2 models produced from the same production cycle, makes it more efficient, and includes mapping, game shader tech, morphs, vinyls and functionality.

Its great working with real-time, as they really bring our cars to life. Normally we never give out our high res models to anyone, but since it was realtime it wasnt an issue. You guys are awesome, and who knows if you watch this space maybe you'll see some more of their work bringing more of our assets to life, only a little bit different. ;)^^ Ah, there you go everyone. 10 weeks for the cars! :D

And very, very nice cars indeed!

PhilipR
11-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Guys Congrats.

This looks Amazing. Great Job :thumbsup:

ofn
11-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Great job .( modeling-texturing-animation-lighting-editing )everything great.
well done guys.

met-out
11-05-2009, 02:37 AM
like l said before " great "
but if u make somethings like a breakdown everybody will be happy :)
or some screen shots from max.

phoelix
11-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Thats a beautiful piece of work! nice work!. One thing that comes to my mind to critic, is that the road looks too perfect i guess, and darker than the reference that you got. Also, the wheels should leave marks in the street, for example when the cars are drifting.

Great work!

cooperunionstud
11-05-2009, 03:45 AM
another nice piece from realtime UK, 5 artist sounds like a smaller group from the last time you guys posted. Pretty amazing work coming out of a team of 5. Whats your strategy for working with a smaller group of artist this time around?

M-Keshta
11-05-2009, 04:39 AM
cool animation i love your stuff so much i have only one question
what is the "FXX Shader " ? do you mean the carpaint ?

Silverwing
11-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow phantastic job! I like it a lot. Its very photoreal. I think a "normal" person seeing this woudnīt think itīs done in 3D... Very well done work there! Thanks for sharing details of the production with us. It is really interesting! Congratulations! This is an amazing piece of work!

Realtime UK rocks! :buttrock:

Good luck for your next project!

irwit
11-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Another great piece of work ! :applause:

Its action packed, engaging and fits with the sound track really well. Lighting and finish is as usual superb, great job !

okazaky
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
My personal CG highlight this year :) Simply amazing work!

Best regards,
Daniel

grury
11-05-2009, 09:56 AM
You guys did it again. Amazing stuff.
Congratulations.

ndeboar
11-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Perfectly rendered, but i can't helped wondering why this needed to be in 3d? If your going to go to all that effort, there should be way more stuff exploding, and cars crashing ect :) Eg, stuff you can't to in the real world.

shoey
11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone! :applause:

like l said before " great "
but if u make somethings like a breakdown everybody will be happy :)
or some screen shots from max.I'll see what I can dig out.

another nice piece from realtime UK, 5 artist sounds like a smaller group from the last time you guys posted. Pretty amazing work coming out of a team of 5. Whats your strategy for working with a smaller group of artist this time around?The company size was still the same, we just had a smaller fulltime team on it. It varies depending on the project size and timeframe. We can still pull people on to a job to help out if needs be. As we have done a lot of car movies in the past, we pretty much knew we could handle the job without major hiccups. Cars on a flat road takes a lot less animation than say, Motorstorm! :D

cool animation i love your stuff so much i have only one question
what is the "FXX Shader " ? do you mean the carpaint ?Sorry, FXX is the car model. So yes, I was talking about the carpaint etc. :)

Cheers

Furious-George
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Very very nice, really like the look :)

AJ
11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Thaks for all the extra info Phil, it's massively appreciated!
stuff you can't to in the real world.
Try asking manufacturers if you can clip two super cars together & then smash one into a stack of tyres... :p

shoey
11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I've been asked about render setup, so here's a bit about that too.

It's a bit vray specific :)

Rendered in Vray with Linear Workflow, Gamma 2.2, and I think I used Reinhard colour mapping.

There are no lights in the scene:D All rendered with HDRI's, using Brute Force & Light Cache.

Environment was cached and rendered as separate layer. The cars were rendered in Vray sphere gizmos and comped on top.

The headlights are just motion blurred tracking dots with custom looks added in post.

Every shot had a fog pass for the kind of misty haze.

erm............. not sure what else. We pressed the "make it good" button a few times :D

cardboarddog
11-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Very nice work!! I love the camera work and the grade..

Bignanfer
11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Awesome stuff I must say, great visual and art direction, thanks for sharing some production insight, very inspiring!

irwit
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
erm............. not sure what else. We pressed the "make it good" button a few times :D

Clients love that button, Im sure you used the "make photoreal" button a few times too

oh and not forgeting the all important "do it all by tomorrow" button :D

robinmitra
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Dude amazing work! Could you tell more about the rig if u get the time?

vfx
11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Great work Phil, the blowing leaves and dof really helped sell it for me. A few camera moves seem a little too fluid and unnatural but thats a small hickup for what is essentially a nice sequence ;)

You guys ought to hire this fella - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=820732&page=1&pp=15

P.S. How many fulltime artists work at Realtime:uk ?

tinitus
11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
awesome!
really "kurz und knackig" (short & to the point)
I would love to hear a bit more about the grading.. or even see some before/after shots!
LOVED the colors!

Pixanaut
11-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Wicked good job guys.

The cars look great, the renders, everything looks impressive.

I dig the Stormbirds vid at the vimeo link too... I'm a sucker for aerial shots and things blowing up.

googboog8
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
hire pantural(the shelby/camaro video) and make the most amazing car video ever...

it should be so amazing that anyone who watches has to sign a waiver before seeing it, since the mind imploding awesomeness might cause instant death. also, people within a five hundred mile radius should be told to keep their own demo reels in some kind of protective case because simply exposing their reels to this uber epic pantural-realtimeuk reel might coz the demo reels to destroy themselves out of sorrow.

the video should be so awesome that it can be seen from the moon, and you dont actually need to play the dvd to watch it, simply looking at it will imprint all content directly in your mind. in fact, the only person who can watch the video without any chance of his head exploding is chuck norris, and even he's afraid of it.

ACamacho
11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Really nice work! Definitely one of my favorites!

undoz
11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Awesome! It looks pretty realistic in terms of racing lines and physics compared to what you usually see around (drifting , etc.).

lo
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Rendered in Vray with Linear Workflow, Gamma 2.2, and I think I used Reinhard colour mapping.

There are no lights in the scene:D All rendered with HDRI's, using Brute Force & Light Cache.

Environment was cached and rendered as separate layer. The cars were rendered in Vray sphere gizmos and comped on top.

The headlights are just motion blurred tracking dots with custom looks added in post.

Every shot had a fog pass for the kind of misty haze.

Holy crap :) All this with 3d DOF and MB?? What were the rendertimes like?

Jeremydjutras
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
the wet look is awesome. The play with the timing during the crash is very cool. Great job with this guys!

Pionier
11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
oh my god, finally you can show it guys! :)

this move kick my a.. since I saw it first time, even when it was on wip stage! :applause:

peter.

sathe
11-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Damn, you guys have a nice make it look good button! :buttrock:

PANTURAL
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Very good rendering and post!

Wiro
11-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Very slick. Love that you used real lenses and good ref of the track, it really shows. If aaaanything there was to fault it's that the cars look a bit dull. I'd expect to see more reflections or rather contrast created by the treelines and dark road or some other interactive lighting that would truly make it sit. Still stellar work though and I usually hate car renders.

Wiro

AbeTamazir
11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
awesome indeed!

xxbinxx
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Amazing work ! Bless you :D

KsiKsu
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
very nice work

one question:
As u used Brute force + Lightcache + dof and MB
how long did one average frame render and how long one hardcore frame?

cheers
keep up the good work

STANER
11-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Wow...this is one of the coolest car animations i have seen in a long time :cool:
please can you post some making of stuff??? :)

lilurik
11-07-2009, 07:26 AM
The car animation could use a little tweaking. Animate more weight on the cars. These cars are heavy and when I watch them turn the corners I want to feel it. Also add more detail to the cars. IE. dirt, scratches, imperfections ext. Otherwise the perfect, clean look gives the cars that noticeable CG appearance. Aside from that you guys did a pretty good job.

simyevil2010
11-07-2009, 07:52 AM
very nice work brother i like it , u a great

good luck 4 ever :thumbsup:

lapachi
11-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Brilliant work guys. 5 stars :thumbsup:

lo
11-07-2009, 03:14 PM
The car animation could use a little tweaking. Animate more weight on the cars. These cars are heavy and when I watch them turn the corners I want to feel it. Also add more detail to the cars. IE. dirt, scratches, imperfections ext. Otherwise the perfect, clean look gives the cars that noticeable CG appearance. Aside from that you guys did a pretty good job.

Why would there be dirt and scratches on these cars? I'm pretty sure that before each race they get washed and treated like there's no tomorrow.

pauldublin
11-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Also disagree there, these cars aren't sent out to race with imperfections. I know what you're trying to get at by the 'clean' look, but it's needed sometimes.

These cars were washed before the race. I think your point would be more suited to rally maybe :) I think the weight of the cars is spot on too. An amazing piece of work.

fleety
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Like I said when I was in the studio a few weeks ago, this is possibly the best looking thing you've ever done. This showed when I played it in the studio at Nexus by the time the movie had finished playing I had about 15 people behind me! You have excelled once again.....you guys really need to get some sleep.

Good old Look Suite.

Dave

oppman
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
(I kneel down and praise) While saying "I'm NOT WORTHY!"

That is how amazing and jaw dropping this piece was!

shtl
11-09-2009, 09:08 AM
The mood is exelent ! Very elegant. Congrats.

rashi
11-09-2009, 10:48 AM
lim (AWESOME)^x
x-->~

Xoliul
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey Phil,
I'd be really interested to know how you guys go about planning the shots. Would loveto see the storyboards and maybe hear a bit of the thought behind it.
The preproduction and planning of camerawork and shots is really something I want to get more in to and know more about, but it feels like such an abstract topic to me. Would be great to get some insight in how the pro's do it!

RenoCG
11-23-2009, 01:28 AM
I’ve seen a lot of pre rendered racing clips from all racing game franchises. But the realism of this clip is just Jaw dropping. I wish that someday, let’s say when GranTurismo 8 comes out; we could experience something like this video in real time render play.

Keep up the exceptional work. :bounce:

shoey
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies on this!

Just a quick heads up to say that I'm going to try and post a few shot breakdowns up here in the next few days.

I'll stick them on Vimeo, but i'll put the links here!

Stay tuned ;)

bmcaff
12-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Woah, just saw this.. that looks bloody good Phil.. Well done to you all there. I hope you put those breakdowns up soon. Cheers.

Animals
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Very Very well done. nice work on the adding of the driver, didnt expect that:D.

I only have a point at one thing : 0:39-41, that scene when the car got hit and went backwords.. it didnt hold the same class as the rest. looked just a bit more fake than the rest but it could be very hard to do just that part. just thought to give some points for imporving.. thats what gets us forward.

rockstar30
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
I have been watching work from realtime for quite some time now and I come to a conclusion that you guys are insane (in an awesome way!) that was just mind blowing ...

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.