PDA

View Full Version : Steam along path / inside tube

flowbot
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi,

i need to create a high quality visual representation of steam flowing through a tube. I couldn't find any decent tutorials how to do this properly.

There is the example for instancer rotations on modernmayhem.com on the front page which looks decent but right now i don't have the money for that and i don't have a clue on how to achieve this inwards-out rotation..

Well the requirements are that it needs to look like steam/water vapor and it needs to be able to follow a curve like a curve flow (been experimenting a bit with curve flow and a simple smoke-puff texture but it's a bit.. hm.. stiff). Just needs to look interesting :-/

arkangel-fx
11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
If you're not on a near deadline you could try colliding fluids.

flowbot
11-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Hmm ok if you know where i find some tutorials for that? I'm really more modelling and animation than fluids/dynamics :-/

Currently i'm expermenting and test-rendering a curve flow with a s/w cloud with attached cloud texture.. Its ok so far but right now i'm wondering.. the steam has to stay inside of the tube and i don't know if that works with particle clouds.. i'm afraid the s/w clouds will intersect with the tube -.-

arkangel-fx
11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
If you're going for the particle method, use nParticles, they have collition radius and you can make it visible in its options, if you set it right the pCloud wont intersect you tube. The only donwside of pCloud is that you wont get the nice swirls you can get from fluids.

Aikiman
11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
One method that MAY work, and it depends entirely on your camera move and scene is to use expressions to emit fluids at particle position. That way you could keep your curve flow and transfer its velocity over to the fluid container.

One drawback with this is that there is no falloff in emitting density so it can suffer from 'blocky' voxels and you would need to sub sample your cache depending on how fast your particles were travelling.

mandark1011
11-03-2009, 07:58 PM
you could also try using a fluid container to shade your cloud particles. Ive had some success with this technique on steam like effects. But if your not an effects guy maya fluids can be a whole set of headaches waiting to happen.....IF your an effects guy maya fluids are a set of headaches lol..

good luck to you

flowbot
11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Thank you all for your replies :)

Sitting in front of my mac at work (well, internship) right now and i'm going to give it all a try. .. Off topic: I don't like macs for maya *sigh* ^^

Aikiman: I have to admit that i don't fully understand your post since i'm really new to this fluid and particle stuff but i'll do my very best. I'm fighting my way through your tutorial on your website ;)

Aikiman
11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe this will help..

http://www.jeremyraven.co.nz/archive.html

flowbot
11-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah it did. Works like a carm :) Now i have to brawl with the fluid settings ^^ Thank you very much

flowbot
11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm really having a hard time with those fluid settings :-/ I'm going to read the doc but i'm afraid i don't have that much time v_v Do you guys have any tipps what settings i should touch and what i don't need to touch in order to get steam-like stuff? If not, not a problem you helped me already a great deal (maybe i should read my english book again some time ^^)

But: Do you have any idea why the batch-rendered fluid stuff does (sometimes?) not look like the renderview render of the same fluid sim? It does kinda look like it but not very much :-/
Rendering currently with maya software and maya 2009 sp1a.

stooch
11-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm really having a hard time with those fluid settings :-/ I'm going to read the doc but i'm afraid i don't have that much time v_v Do you guys have any tipps what settings i should touch and what i don't need to touch in order to get steam-like stuff? If not, not a problem you helped me already a great deal (maybe i should read my english book again some time ^^)

But: Do you have any idea why the batch-rendered fluid stuff does (sometimes?) not look like the renderview render of the same fluid sim? It does kinda look like it but not very much :-/
Rendering currently with maya software and maya 2009 sp1a.

steam ?

dont mess with your color textures. dont mess with incandescence. basically starta default fluid emitter with all defaults and mess with the density curve and add some lighting and self shadowing. the amount of detail and resolution you need to put in is influenced by scale. for a smaller pipe id use less resolution and go for less detail.

Aikiman
11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Yep, make sure you have copied your velocity vectors over from your particles to the fluid with the method from my site. You might even want to double the vectors by using a multiplier on each float value during the setAttr commands.

Have a look at velocity swirl also on the fluid shape, you may want to increase that to 8 or something. With that and Stooch's advice you should be good to go.

flowbot
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you :) That helped me a lot :) And multiplying the velociy vectors works great too :)
And sorry to bother you al with this, but i have the blocky-voxel problem you talked about and i just can't find anythung about cache subsampling :-/ Does it have anything to do with the evaluation rate in 'replace cache'? v_v i really ned to get more experience with that stuff ^^;

But except the blocky stuff its going great, thanks :)

Aikiman
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Switching the Render Interpolation from Linear to smooth helps with getting rid of the blocky thing. That can be found on the fluid shape node. As for the sub sampling, this can be set in the fluid cache settings.

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.