PDA

View Full Version : game art course help

akarsh
11-03-2009, 02:52 AM
hi guys i am looking for a game art course which is of 1 year , my interest is in 3d modeling and texturing and currently i am doing my bsc in animation . As if now i have found outmedia design school nz and seneca game art . pls help me out with this guys pls

Badru
11-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Vancouver Film School only has 1 year long programs, and they have a really good reputation, as far as I've been able to tell. They don't have a specific "Game Art" course, like many other places, but they do have a 3d modelling/animation course and a game design course.

I think you are looking for a 3d course that is focused for games? I've seen some demo reels coming out of VFS that focused on modelling (clearly for games) and pretty much blew me away.

Hope I'm some help.

akarsh
11-09-2009, 05:07 AM
thanks a lot for your reply, vfs is way too expensive for me that's the problem n i would like to know your opinion about media design school New Zealand ( i was thinking about their 1 year animation course by which i can land in a job as a modeler or a texturing artist , seneca has a game art course too that's also pretty good , what do you say?

Badru
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
edit: double post.

Badru
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
For lower cost, 1 year programs, those schools both look pretty good I think. I haven't looked into either of them before tonight, but their curriculum looks good, and the demo reels coming out of the schools look pretty reasonable.

I would make sure that you can find some promising work coming out of the schools, and then see if you can figure out who the instructors are, and what they've done or are doing in CG. If both those items check out, and the curriculum is filled with what you want to learn, the school should be a good fit I think.

Whether you want to go to somewhere that teaches 3d for games or somewhere that teaches it for all industries is really probably dependent on how specific your goals are. However, since Seneca has more than a couple courses that are focused on the integration of 3d into games, and on game design, you may get a stronger grasp on 3d at the media design school, where you are more focused.

I talked to a friend who works as an Art Producer at Arena Net, and he told me that there are two different mindsets about the best kind of training for a game artist --
1- train yourself in film animation, because it requires the highest caliber modeling/texturing/animation, and you can dumb your stuff down for games
2- train yourself making assets for games, because it is a different boat entirely, and you will be better suited working on games with experience in the specific industry.

basically, do what feels best, because there will always be someone out there to tell you that you are wrong, and there will probably also be someone telling you that you are right.

on the other hand, looking just at the demo reels they show you, i think that i am more impressed by the seneca one.

akarsh
11-14-2009, 11:20 AM
thanks a lot man n even i think that seneca is good enough so i am 75% made up my mind to go there , one problem is that i am good with maya since i have been working with maya from past 1 year and in seneca they are teaching 3d max , any way its ok . so what about you are you working in the industry

Badru
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Haha no... I'm a freshman at art school. I might not be the best one to talk to about this stuff, but I've definitely done heavy research on it for a good year or so now, so maybe I am.

Also, it's probably a good thing that you know Maya and they will teach you Max. I've been told that I shouldn't get attached to a specific program because it will limit me in the future.

akarsh
11-15-2009, 03:55 AM
yah tht is there , any way thanks a lot man for your help

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2009, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.