PDA

View Full Version : New fluid effects book

Aikiman
11-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Maya Studio Projects: Dynamics

http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470487763.html

Looks like it might be worth getting. Pity you cant view a few pages.

efecto
11-03-2009, 03:35 AM
i ordered it 6 months ago! It said it has shipped. Can't wait.

Aikiman
11-03-2009, 03:36 AM
When you get it, can you let me know what you think and if its worth getting?!

efecto
11-03-2009, 03:43 AM
yup will do man.

VTeixeira
11-03-2009, 05:47 AM
I've order it too.
It will arrive until the end of the month :bounce:

tpalamar
12-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello all,

I hope you received your book by now of if you are contemplating ordering it you can see more from it at my site.

http://www.speffects.com/index.php?id=book_maya_studio_dynamics

http://www.speffects.com/images/books/todd_palamar/mspd/showcaseBook.jpg
Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks.

VTeixeira
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I allready have.
Thanks to that i've created these fire tests: http://www.vimeo.com/7708183
Thanks a lot Todd.
It's an amazing book
Congrats.
Cheers

destruct007
12-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Smart move Todd, only book on fluids! Which means it's also the BEST! (and worst lol ;)

I noticed you can save $10 by ordering it on your site. Cool.

dax3d
12-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey just out of curiousity Todd, what would you say are any major differences between your book and what Dave covers in the Gnomon dvd's? Those were pretty extensive (and saved me once or twice, thanks Dave!), so I'd be curious what might be new...or maybe a better look at examples.

I'd be curious about any production examples, since the Gnomon videos seemed like they were drawing from some specific film shots (haven't seen them forever, I could be wrong).

tpalamar
12-08-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure of specific difference. I unfortunately have not seen David's DVD (sorry David). I can tell you that in Maya Studio Projects: Dynamics, each chapter is project based. So I don't go over specific menus, I cover the tools and attributes as they are needed in relation to each project. The projects are a solar system, comet, sink hole, volcano, lava, tornado, fire, house burning, gas station exploding, and a city flood.

It also includes nCloth and nParticles which are used to destroy objects.

destruct007
12-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I was thinking that the key to a book is a lot of people like to have the easy to reference-ness of a book, vs the DVD's are not as simple. Also one can read and re-read specific sections of a book when a DVD is linear and not easily scrubable like the skim over that books have. So can't say if it's better but it's good to have this sort of thing out there. I think it would be pointless for a Sr. Level fx artist to get a book on fluids b/c you should already know ;)

I also stopped selling those DVD's, b/c I'm a jerk. hah. No, really its a long story. Anyway, People asked me to write a book but the DVD's were such a pain to make I couldn't get myself to do it. I'm glad someone made one. Hopefully it's good!

tpalamar
12-08-2009, 01:19 AM
I here ya' destruct007. Writing a book is just as bad (maybe worse) as making a DVD. It is amazing how much work has to go into it. It seems never ending.

dax3d
12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Definitely good points. I have to agree about the easy reference. Haha, well true, but I do talk to lots of students, and they ask me for recommendations all the time. :D

Oh, those DVD's are no longer for sale? Isn't that on Gnomon's end?
I have a friend who made some, and he sort of wasn't in love with the experience himself, and ended up writing a book lol. Either way, thanks..they were awesome. And hopefully this is a nice update for any future fx artists.

destruct007
12-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Oh, those DVD's are no longer for sale? Isn't that on Gnomon's end?

No they own the rights to distribute it, Artist owns the rights to the material.

dax3d
12-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Interesting, I don't know that he mentioned that.
Definitely useful info on there, thanks.

VTeixeira
12-08-2009, 06:26 AM
I have both and they complement each other in some way.
If you really want to became an Effects Artist you should really look into this book and the DVD's from David. In my opinion you should go first to the fundamentals from David, and then read the book and then again go to the pyrotechnics from David. I think both are indispensable in the understanding of Maya Fluids.
Thanks to you both.
You guy's are the best lol.
Really. :buttrock:
Cheers and thaks a lottttttttttttttttttttttttt :beer:

KidderD
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I here ya' destruct007. Writing a book is just as bad (maybe worse) as making a DVD. It is amazing how much work has to go into it. It seems never ending.

Do I smell a collaboration? I like the sounds of the book, should arrive on Friday for me.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.