PDA

View Full Version : polygon booleans problem...

reluctantone
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
hi guys, i'm still kind of a noob, so please bare with me. with the first 2 objects the booleans "difference" worked fine but now i want to take the object i created out of that and use difference with another object in order to cut out a circular opening from my sphere, (i don't know how else to do it other than selecting/deleting the faces of the sphere into a circle, but that would take much time), but every time i try the difference both objects just disappear no matter which one i select first. gonna pull my hair out! lol!
thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated.

-cb

Piflik
11-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Booleans are crap. Period.

...if you have to use it, make sure to cleanup after each operation (welding/removing bad Vertices...there will be many of them). Booleans will disappear, if there are holes in your mesh. But circular openings are quite easy to do by hand. Just create an NGon Spline with as many segments as you want your circle to have, activate 'Snap', set to 'Vertex' and cut away.

conio
11-03-2009, 12:40 PM
You could try to use a second boolean for the second operation instead of throwing the hole in the first boolean...

reluctantone
11-03-2009, 01:15 PM
thank you both! crazy helpful are the nice folks at cgtalk

Kien
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
I find booleans to be very useful. :P To minimize risk of weird results one can detach the polygons that are to be booleaned before doing the operation so that the operation becomes as simple as possible for the program. :) A trouble with boolean in maya is that you loose creasing on edges. And yes the water tight mesh requirement is an annoying part.

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.