PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Halo Mastercheif Rig for maya

FalineFarwell
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey everyone!

I am looking for a Master Chief model that's rigged and ready for animation in maya. I don't want someone to maker one for me I am looking for one I can download for free to use in a animation for school. I have found many meshes of the character but I need a rigged version. If you don't know who Master Chief is take a look at the picture below, I will give due credit to the maker of the rig in the animation.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/killerdiaz/masterchief.jpg
You can send me a link to the download in the forum or via e-mail (falinenichole@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/falinenichole@gmail.com))

Thanks again!

leigh
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I very much doubt that you're going to find what you're looking for.

Swizzle
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
If you've already found a model, then why not just rig it yourself? If you're in an animation school as you say, then you should probably learn to rig models anyway. This is actually a good way to start since the rig wouldn't need to be terribly complex to work well, considering he's mostly hard surfaces. You could probably even use a generic humanoid rig and just modify it to work with the model you already have.

FalineFarwell
11-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the reply! Could you point me in the direction of a humanoid rig?

DanielWray
11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
If you have a few weeks for this, then just rig it. It really isn't that hard to set-up a simple rig for animation, even if it's just FK joints.

Asking around may lead you to the humanoid rig, but it won't help you in the future when perhaps you need to create a rig and you have no rigs available to download.

Szos
11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey everyone!

I am looking for a million dollars that are unmarked and ready to be spent. I don't want to earn any myself I am looking for some free money. I have found many pennies in the couch cushions but I need greenbacks and lots of them. If you don't know what money is take a look at the picture below, I will give due credit to anyone that gives me money.

http://www.thedigeratilife.com/images/million-dollars-2.jpg

FalineFarwell
11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I know of many free rigs around for people to use, its very common and the Master Chief if a very common character.

Array
11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey everyone!

I am looking for a million dollars that are unmarked and ready to be spent. I don't want to earn any myself I am looking for some free money. I have found many pennies in the couch cushions but I need greenbacks and lots of them. If you don't know what money is take a look at the picture below, I will give due credit to anyone that gives me money.

http://www.thedigeratilife.com/images/million-dollars-2.jpg

I don't see how your post is helpful or relevant to the topic at hand. There are plenty of free rigs available online for aspiring animators to use while they practice their craft. I would not at all be surprised if there was a Master Chief rig out there for people to use.

FalineFarwell
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I know that other people have found the Master Chief rig somewhere, because I have seem it used on YouTube by alot of people who most likely didn't rig it themselves but I could be wrong.

leigh
11-02-2009, 06:35 PM
I know that other people have found the Master Chief rig somewhere, because I have seem it used on YouTube by alot of people who most likely didn't rig it themselves but I could be wrong.

I believe what you're talking about is Machinima, which, as far as I know (which isn't much, to be honest), is done in-game, using the game engine. I am sure someone else could shed some light on this.

FalineFarwell
11-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I believe what you're talking about is Machinima, which, as far as I know (which isn't much, to be honest), is done in-game, using the game engine. I am sure someone else could shed some light on this.

I know the difference between machinima and 3D Animation....I want to create a new kind of machinima with real 3D animation

squeige
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
hillarious post with the Money! LOL

Anyways, all this time spent looking for the free rig, you could have learned to build and rig a simple hard surface character in about a week. Have you tried google? Theres tons of Bipeds out there you couid use.

leigh
11-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I know the difference between machinima and 3D Animation....I want to create a new kind of machinima with real 3D animation

Yeah but the point is that I think the model+rig you've been seeing is from the in-game engine, not a custom made asset that's available somewhere on the web.

Grim Beefer
11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Your high school has classes in Maya?! Wow. We were lucky to have Oregon Trail...

I'd have to reiterate what the others said. Why not try and rig it up yourself? If you know how the rig is working, you'll probably have a lot better time actually animating the character for your project.

For a robot like character like Master Chief, it'd actually be pretty easy, as you don't have to deal with eyes, a mouth, bulging muscles, etc.

Remi
11-02-2009, 07:18 PM
There's a free Master Chief out there, sorry, I don't remember where I saw it at the moment, I'll try and remember and come back with a link. And yes, this is a serious response.

quaam
11-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I know there is this model for Spartan / Master Chief

http://gfx-3d-model.blogspot.com/2009/05/halo-spartan-3d-model.html

I haven't used it but it's worth looking into.

Pixanaut
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Some people (myself included) have no desire to rig anything because we absolutely HATE rigging. I spent my career in 3D doing modeling. I understand the concepts behind rigging, and have some failed attempts rigging my own stuff, but professionally, I would never tell people that I am a rigger by any stretch of the meaning.

Understanding the concepts of the positions around you in the pipeline is far more important that being able to do it, if you are specialized. Understand what things you can do in your specialization that might be simple adjustments to you, but save the guys up the chain serious time when they get your elements.

So, responding like an idiot rather than helping someone out who might not know how (and have no interest learning) how to do one specific thing is a bit elitist and arrogant IMO.

I did laugh at the pile o'cash however... cute.

tuna
11-03-2009, 08:23 AM
So, responding like an idiot rather than helping someone out who might not know how (and have no interest learning) how to do one specific thing is a bit elitist and arrogant IMO.

It is hardly elitist or arrogant if the people suggesting it have spent the hours themselves learning these things (and have benefited them as much as to suggest it to others). However for a highschool homework project obviously there's not enough time to go through the motions of learning this stuff in time for whatever class this is.

Asking for something so specific for free and now is more arrogant than that.

Beansproutinmyhead
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
guh do you really have to animate master chief ?

switchblade327
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I know there is this model for Spartan / Master Chief

http://gfx-3d-model.blogspot.com/2009/05/halo-spartan-3d-model.html

I haven't used it but it's worth looking into.

I'm sure someone would be happy to rig this up in Maya for you, for a marginal fee.

Darksuit
11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
There are some of us who are Tech Artists, While I am happy to answer most any question, I would suggest looking at what you are using the rig for specifically and can you use one of the many Free Maya Rigs that are listed in the Maya Specfic forum

Forum Sticky (Maya Free Rig List)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=88&t=397196

That is a list of Free Maya Rigs that people have generously dontated their time and effort to setup and rig so that Animators would have a place to start with.

If you are just wanting to animate a character and want that character to look like Master Chief. I would ask you why? why does it need to be that specific character. If the answer is just becuase, I would ask that you try and experiement with one of the free rigs to see if you can get the feel of what you are doing.

PS: I laughed as well at the pile of money...
though it would have been even funnier with the gieco googly eyes money...

Bucket
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Maybe the assignment can be fulfilled in another way. Have you tried making a masterchief out of macaroni?

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.