View Full Version : Matthew Dewyea Demo-Reel

mdewyea
11-02-2009, 07:30 AM
At last...Demo-reel is complete check it out at
http://www.dewyeadesigns.com/pages/demoreel.html

Let me kno what you guys think

EricDLegare
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I would remove the "advanced" in the tiltle and the jet model.

masn45
11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
only liked the character. He was interesting. the other stuff isn't worth putting in a reel

keep working! :beer:

mdewyea
11-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys ill keep working....and post new stuff soon as i can

Dualhammers
11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I would agree with the posts above, but just be less blunt about it. The character tells me you do have some good ideas in there, you just need to put some more time into them. Here are a few things to consider:

Original ideas are always the best. Make sure the work in your demo reel is not simply good, but also interesting and unique - give people and impression of your individual artistic personality.

Robots, cars, planes, and guns are all cliches. That isn't to say you cannot use them at all in your reel, but they either need to be unique creations, or absolutely amazing. A near-perfectly replica of a locomotive could land you a job, but a pretty good model of an AT-ST probably won't. There are just so many people doing the same thing.

Another thing to remember is while doing 1-million poly z-brushed models is all well and good, it is just as important to show how much creativity you can convey in a limited environment, especially if you want to work in games. Try making some characters that look great at sub 3,000 polys.

That being said, keep working and continue to push the level of detail and you will probably do well for yourself. Just don't be disappointed if your reel as it is now doesn't land you a job.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.