PDA

View Full Version : The Nature of Maya 3d Textures...

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 12:06 AM
is this...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7828/screenshot20091102at159.png (http://img156.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20091102at159.png/)

Ha?! :curious:
So compaņeros, what living thing do I have to sacrifice in order to imprint into that texture a faint allure of... randomness maybe?!

pix3lm0nk
11-02-2009, 12:11 AM
procedural textures to break it up

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 08:30 AM
procedural textures to break it up

That is a maya Granite 3d (procedural) texture... mapped into the bump of the brownish part. :surprised:

phix314
11-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I've always been a fan of baking it out to a file and using the smear node/layering.

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 09:35 AM
I've always been a fan of baking it out to a file and using the smear node/layering.

I think that might work well for a poly model, maybe low poly model... I see it implemented, even with my primitive knowledge of such production trickery, but what about nurbs models, as is the case abobe? How do you wrap that back on the object without apparent seams or flow breaks in the texture...

If such a setup is possible, then would you be so kind as to share a frugal hypershade schematic of the shader graph? :)

lostparanoia
11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
is this...
Ha?! :curious:
So compaņeros, what living thing do I have to sacrifice in order to imprint into that texture a faint allure of... randomness maybe?!

Did you try to rotate your 3D placer around a bit?

Skoczylas
11-02-2009, 11:25 AM
What size has the object compared to the place3d-node?

MasonDoran
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
The issue is that it is tiling, and the repetition of the tiles becomes noticeable. To hide this, you will need to layer it with a 2nd and even 3rd variation that uses fewer tiles (just map the 3d texture to the color gain of the texture) . To push it even more, attach a 3d volume Noise to the textures to randomize the attributes even more.

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 12:42 PM
What size has the object compared to the place3d-node?

At a ratio of 40:1 maybe... 40 - object, 1 - 3d placement node...

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 12:49 PM
The issue is that it is tiling, and the repetition of the tiles becomes noticeable. To hide this, you will need to layer it with a 2nd and even 3rd variation that uses fewer tiles (just map the 3d texture to the color gain of the texture) . To push it even more, attach a 3d volume Noise to the textures to randomize the attributes even more.

How do you control tiles with 3d textures - i'm guessing by 'scaling', and if so, if one was to consider an absolute value for the cell size, in the case of the granite 3d texture, then if one is to increase the tile size while synchronizing with that absolute cell size value - one would have to decrease the cell size proportionally? Am I right?

Skoczylas
11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
You have to make the 3d-placement node as big as the object and then lower the "cell size" value. The texture repeats outside the placement node. If the "cell size" cant be lowered anymore just go in the channel editor -> edit -> settings -> change precission and enter a higher number. So you can enter real small values. Hope that helps.

MasonDoran
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
yes, the 3d placement node controls the tiling via its scale. If you need the fine detail without then you will have to break it up with 2nd version with a different scale mapped to the color gain to break up the tiling

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 01:51 PM
You have to make the 3d-placement node as big as the object and then lower the "cell size" value. The texture repeats outside the placement node. If the "cell size" cant be lowered anymore just go in the channel editor -> edit -> settings -> change precission and enter a higher number. So you can enter real small values. Hope that helps.

Thanks...
It all makes sense now. However I probably wouldn't really recommend encapsulating your object inside your 3d placement node because 3d textures - in some instances, take a really long time to compute during render. The optimal solution relies maybe in hybridizing the two techniques: make your 3d placement decently large relative to your object, then spin it like crazy.

lostparanoia
11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Did anyone actually read my post earlier?

Step 1: do NOT scale your 3D placer. It is a very naughty habit some people have that will screw up everything for everyone at all times.

Step 2: use the nodes actual attributes to adjust your cell size.

Step 3: rotate your 3D placer about 45 degrees in x,y and z. That's it. it won't tile and everyone will be happy.

At least this works for me 100% of the times.

coccosoids
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Did anyone actually read my post earlier?

Step 1: do NOT scale your 3D placer. It is a very naughty habit some people have that will screw up everything for everyone at all times.

Step 2: use the nodes actual attributes to adjust your cell size.

Step 3: rotate your 3D placer about 45 degrees in x,y and z. That's it. it won't tile and everyone will be happy.

At least this works for me 100% of the times.

You may, no... you do have a point there! :)

But old habits die hard with some people...

Skoczylas
11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
@lostparanoia: I've read it and also tried what you've said. But for me it doesnt work. The pattern is still visible. Its only rotated. Anyone else tried that out?

lostparanoia
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
@lostparanoia: I've read it and also tried what you've said. But for me it doesnt work. The pattern is still visible. Its only rotated. Anyone else tried that out?

that's very interesting. could you post a scene so I can take a look at it? I never have these problems.

Skoczylas
11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Here is it. But its just a cube with a lambert and a granite. Cube is 10 times as big as the place3d node.

http://pureimagine.com/tmp/cube.mb

Pattern is less visible when rotating it 45,45,45 but its still there.

lostparanoia
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Ah, ok. I see what you mean. Most of the time I only use procedural textures for quite complex nurbs surfaces. But still, even if you scale your 3Dplacer and reduce the cell size you will get repeating patterns on a flat surface. Plus you will never know how to set your attributes for your textures because they will also be dependant on the scale of your placer.
A good tip though (if it's still repeating), like someone mentioned above, is to mix it up with other procedurals to make it look more random.

Skoczylas
11-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Its always a tedious work to reconfigure the 3d nodes after you changed the scale ;) Scaling it up worked for me the most times, but rotating and mixing it up will surely work too and is a great tip :thumbsup:

lostparanoia
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, allways try to keep your variables to a minimum. That's how I roll. ;) And besides, you never know when someone else is taking over your project and at some point freezes the transformations on your nodes and suddenly you have to do all those boring texture adjustments over again.

wizlon
11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Surely the whole point of procedural texture is that they don't tile they are or should be infinitely variable. I've had this problem several times with Maya, but never had this problem in Lightwave.

coccosoids
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Surely the whole point of procedural texture is that they don't tile they are or should be infinitely variable. I've had this problem several times with Maya, but never had this problem in Lightwave.

Oh, I do remember Lightwave's materials... :drool:

InfernalDarkness
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I've had this problem several times with Maya, but never had this problem in Lightwave.

It's not so much a "problem" as it is a feature. Maya gives you great access to all kinds of fractals on a very, very basic level. It's up to you to combine them, mix them, and create more detailed and powerful textures. Some jobs call for complex textures; others don't.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.