PDA

View Full Version : Rendering to match the master beauty pass

JonK723
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi all, I have a scene that is using global illumination/final gather as well as mia_material_x_passes for all my materials. I've been using the render passes feature to render out different passes so that I can composite them together. I know that the x_passes material only supports a couple of the render passes (which I've rendered) but when I go in to composite them together I can't seem to match the master beauty pass. What is mental ray rendering to create the master beauty pass especially when using things like global illumination?

For you info these are the passes I've rendered out:
diffuse
direct illumination
indirect
specular
reflection
refraction
translucence
ambient occlusion

JasonA
11-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I've found that typically my batch rendered passes add up to about 90-95% of the masterbeauty. Usually the differences are slight, and mostly of a nature of gamma and contrast which a few tweaks in post takes care of.

for mia render passes, I use all of those except direct irradiance.

Using the mia material passes, basically its a pretty easy recipe - everyhting is added (or screened or whatever you prefer) because the shadows are already burned into the passes. the occlusion should be muliplied.

If this still doesnt work, then be sure to check you havent done anything too exotic in terms of your shader network (ie, layering shaders) - you may have to use customer buffers to get out the passes you need properly for comp.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2009, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.