PDA

View Full Version : Help Regarding Rapid-prototyping

TksDevil
10-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello

I need to model a tank for Rapid-prototyping, I started to build the mesh on 3d max because i can export the mesh in .stl file. The problem is that i dont know anything regrading prototyping.

Please Answer

1) is there are specific ways of modeling for prototyping or should i model normally

2) in how many .stl files, I should break the mesh for prototyping

( i mean i model the tank in which the turret is a whole different mesh, hull is a different mesh, wheels are totally different mesh etc, in max i combine all and export .stl for prototyping will it work or should i export every different mesh individually )

I am confused plz help me out

Thank you

wwswimming
10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
you export one *.stl file for each object you want fabricated.

the *.stl files need to have a "water-tight" mesh - completely covered, no missing poly's. e.g. if the part needs to have a hole, the hole needs to be modelled.

on some systems, the *.stl file needs to be in "positive space" - all X coordinates positive, same for Y and Z.

i suggest talking to the vendor who will be making the part & touring their facility, maybe even seeing your part brought up on their screen. it's really worth the time, to make sure the end-result is optimum for your own client.

there will usually be some tooling pieces that are made first and are attached to the main part as the surface they are attached to descends into the vat of photo-reactive liquid. it's important to make sure that these guide pieces are attached to the main part in locations that are easy to saw off & sand when the work is done.

most of my comments are for the acrylic version of STL. i've also seen ceramic, metal, and paper versions. what kind are you using for the part you're working on ?

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.