PDA

View Full Version : Maya @ School & the lack of PLE

JaredTaylor
10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm wondering - how do students cope with the 3grand+ (more like 5 grand in my country) cost of Maya when there is no longer a PLE version of Maya.

Do schools just get a massive discount now?

SpiralFace
10-30-2009, 10:12 PM
There is a few options at your disposal. You can get the full retail version of many programs like Maya for about half the cost.

But the PLE editions aren't going away. They stop offering some of the older PLE editions when the new version is coming along.

There is also the options of school labs. When I was in school, I was pretty much a lab rat and used the school facilities to work on my things.

If they are teaching it to you, there should always be the lab option.

jipe
10-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Sites like JourneyEd and Studica sell legitimate, full-featured student editions of software. You can pick up a student edition package of Maya, Softimage, Max, and Mudbox for $350.

JaredTaylor
10-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Brilliant, thanks guys :)

Isn't there any way to buy Maya separately though? The only thing they have is one huge package, I don't need Max, XSI, Mudbox, or Motionbuilder.

Suppose I don't reallllyyy need an up to date version of Maya though, this ones still working fine.

JYoung
10-31-2009, 01:08 AM
You used to be able to buy them separately, but I think it ended up being 350 anyway. Now you just get 5 programs for the same price.

jipe
10-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Yeah, I paid $300 for Maya 7 Complete back in the day (Unlimited was $400), so the package deal Autodesk's providing now is pretty ridiculous. You can also get a 13-month student license for $149, which isn't bad if you prefer upgrading each year.

SpiralFace
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
alot has changed since maya 7. If anything, I would try to at the very least get Maya 8.5 or 08 Expansion 2. As they both are big updates that change the game a bit as far as workflow.

If your just trying to learn the interface, then Maya 7 is fine, but I would definatly advise you go up to one of those versions if you intend to try to push your work a bit on it.

Not terribly critical though. Always remember, Maya is just a tool. Traditional art skills are always going to be much more important then any piece of software.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.