PDA

View Full Version : bump map shadows

Vedrica
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
How to make bump map (or even better normal map) shadows (shadows to following bump map)?

InfernalDarkness
10-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Turn on shadows for your light(s).

Vedrica
11-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Turn on shadows for your light(s).

Yeah? And then what?

InfernalDarkness
11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Press Render.

Perhaps posting a screenshot or example render of what you're trying to do will help?

Vedrica
11-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Press Render.

Perhaps posting a screenshot or example render of what you're trying to do will help?

I have seen one image long time ago. On image was parquet with bump-map and object on it. Edges of drop shadow from object was bumpy as the parquet was. Image were done in 3D Studio Max. Here is image i draw..

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4071/shadowbump.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/shadowbump.jpg/)

I saw real-time self shadowing bump. That would be cool aslo to know for maya if that option egsists..
Thanks for reply.

Sincrol
11-03-2009, 12:45 AM
then is not BUMP... is a DISPLACEMENT...

bump is nothing more nothing less than a Opticall Ilusion... it does no effect on the geometry it slef... SO, it wont affect the shadows.

BUT, when using displacement, it does disturb the geometry... and then, also the shadows.

InfernalDarkness
11-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Sincrol is correct. The way to achieve what you are trying to do is with Displacement Maps. They work in similar ways as Normal and Bump maps, in terms of applying to a UV-map, but Displacement maps subdivide the geometry at rendertime and create high-poly versions of your lower-poly geometry based on an image file, the Displacement Map.

Maya and Max both have displacement map capabilities. It's a pretty standard function; I apologize for mistaking your original question.

I saw real-time self shadowing bump. That would be cool aslo to know for maya if that option egsists..
Thanks for reply.

That wasn't a bump, like we're saying. It's a displacement map. Most modern game engines (Unreal 3, etc.) have realtime workarounds, but in your viewport in Maya you'll need a pretty hefty graphics card to pull off actual displacement shadows. If you still want to try this, let us know what GPU you're using and we'll try to help you configure it.

Vedrica
11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Maya and Max both have displacement map capabilities. It's a pretty standard function; I apologize for mistaking your original question.

No problem.

That wasn't a bump, like we're saying. It's a displacement map. Most modern game engines (Unreal 3, etc.) have realtime workarounds, but in your viewport in Maya you'll need a pretty hefty graphics card to pull off actual displacement shadows. If you still want to try this, let us know what GPU you're using and we'll try to help you configure it.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It is probably displacement. I have nvidia gamer card but have no need for viewport shadows. Thank you anyway.

Cheers!
Vedran

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.