PDA

View Full Version : Perth, WA?

Greenham
10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey guys,

I would be interested to know if there is anyone from Perth, Western Australia about?

Greenham.

R10k
10-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Yep, I'm in Perth. There are a few others I've seen around also.

Greenham
10-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Awesome. :)

Would you happen to know whether the other forum members are hobbyist, amateur artists or professional digital artists?

Personally, I'm a student who pursues digital art in my free time as a hobby.

I just want to get an indication of what the digital art "scene" is like in Perth, really.

R10k
10-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Would you happen to know whether the other forum members are hobbyist, amateur artists or professional digital artists?

I think most I've seen have been hobbyists, but it's hard to tell when people lack profiles, or simply aren't interested in telling the world what they do :)

PorkpieSamurai
11-01-2009, 12:33 AM
im from Perth. I studied and worked there before moving to Vancouver. I met some cool
people there who have gone on to work at awesome studios like Blur and Animal Logic and im at CIS working in film. Its hard to get established there which is why you need to move to launch your career in my opinion and the education institutions aren't too great either.

HeadSmell
11-01-2009, 08:55 AM
mmm lol i don't really think there's a digital art scene that I've seen

R10k
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Its hard to get established there which is why you need to move to launch your career in my opinion and the education institutions aren't too great either.

I guess that depends on what your career is. The best digital education seems to be online these days, so... there are a few reasons why sticking around in Perth isn't a career killer.

mmm lol i don't really think there's a digital art scene that I've seen

I've seen a few Lastpixel guys at the odd Siggraph meeting, talking about what they do... isn't that the scene? :)

HeadSmell
11-02-2009, 01:49 AM
yea,Greg our old project manager use to organize those a few years ago. I'm originally from California and use to go to the LA max user group meetings, it's a shame there isn't something like that round.

PorkpieSamurai
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
The best digital education seems to be online these days, so... there are a few reasons why sticking around in Perth isn't a career killer.

I cant vouche for online education but in my opinion the best thing about digital art schools in North America and the U.K is that 1. The lecturers and tutors actualy have a background in what they are teaching 2. The people you go to school with become your networking hookups for jobs after graduation and 3. The crediblity of your schools name will catch the attention of potential employers.

The only good thing I found living in Perth was the intense drive to get out of Perth.

HeadSmell
11-03-2009, 02:47 AM
The only good thing I found living in Perth was the intense drive to get out of Perth.
true there isn't as much work as in the east coast, but Perth in general is one of the best city's I have ever lived in. Having lived in LA for 25 years I don't want to live any where else

axiomatic
11-05-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm also from Perth, working as a digital artist.

I've been thinking lots about moving recently and have come to a couple of hesitant conclusions on the matter.

If you want to be in Film as part of a large studio working on vfx shots and that sort of thing then you need to leave here as soon as you've got enough skill/talent to support yourself. US, UK, even Sydney, doesn't matter too much but there simply isn't enough exposure to film workflows here. Even if you do land a job doing 3D on a feature it's not going to help as much as landing the same job for a larger studio ... which means elsewhere.

If, however, you're not into the big-team mentality of feature work then Perth can sustain you for much longer. With training available online and with some good people about you can learn a lot while (and this is most important) being involved at a creative level. In this way you can eventually earn a living here doing commercial work in many fields of digital art, or you can move on to other places with more reliability.

I'd like there to be more vfx orientated stuff happening in Perth. I'm lucky that I work with people everyday who understand the craft but it's rather depressing that so many other people in the industries that co-exist with post/vfx just don't understand it at all and seem to think that if you need something big you go over east.

It's changing ... but i wish it would hurry up.

axiomatic
11-05-2009, 05:42 AM
p.s.
Maybe some of us should get together and work on a CG challenge ... next one starts in December :)

HeadSmell
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Maybe some of us should get together and work on a CG challenge ... next one starts in December

I might be interested but i can get pretty crunched for time if a deadlline pops up. maybe about 10-15 hours in the month i can spare some up.

Shibalba
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, im from perth myself, know a few other 3D artists but not many. Personally im still very very new to the actual industry, finished my course early this year, and just wrapped up my first freelance contract the other day thru a company in mandurrah. From what I understand, the scene in WA is extremely small, especially in the entertainment side of things. It seems theres a lot of work in Architrectural Visualisation, Mining Simulations etc etc.

HeadSmell
11-06-2009, 02:10 AM
I say we should start off with a HD animated matte painting with a small camera movement. with some explosions or fx shots in it

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Thatd be fun to work on I rekon, you thinking for the next challenge or just an independent type thing?

axiomatic
11-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Mmmm, perhaps we should get together over a beer and discuss something. Would be good to work out what people would like to achieve and what skills are available etc. :)

PorkpieSamurai
11-06-2009, 04:44 AM
I really feel, that in order for perth to get some decent studios, we need to attract attention to the state.
Believe me this has been tried before and I really think this is only going to happen if a big studio like Animal Logic or an international studio powerhouse ( Dneg, MPC, Digital Domain) opens up a branch on the west coast because of tax incentives or something. Most isolated city with a very tiny talent pool doesn't immediately command attention.

Like your idea of banding together to work on a project, they are really fun and you can get a lot out of them. My only advice to you is to maybe focus on creating a shot rather than a whole short film. Its way more likely to get done and you can still really hone your skills and develop as an artist without committing to a long term project.

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Yeh that is a very good point, really wish one of the studios could open up a branch here.

PorkpieSamurai
11-06-2009, 05:26 AM
How did you go about it? Did you relocate and then find work, or get offered a contract or what? Any advice on relocating/getting work overseas?

It took a while. I worked on a short film with some other perth peeps then decided I wanted to move to Vancouver so I moved home to Bunbury with my folks for a year and did nothing but work on my demo reel and learning a lot in the process. I got some great online mentors who i would show work to back and forth and finaly i moved with my buddy over to Van and started looking for work. It was really hard though. I hadn't graduated from a kick ass school like VFS nor was my reel too great and I didn't know anyone in town. I hit the networking events and met some people and got work after about 5 months of looking. Its been progressively getting better over the last 2 years and Im getting to the point where Its not so hard to line up work after each contract. Bottom line is to keep networking keep creating work and getting it out there and prepare for a bumpy ride.

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Awesome, thats really encouraging to hear.

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Mmmm, perhaps we should get together over a beer and discuss something. Would be good to work out what people would like to achieve and what skills are available etc. :)

Good Idea, lets get the ball rolling I rekon...

PorkpieSamurai
11-06-2009, 05:54 AM
yeah that was one thing I had in my favor. I was born here so it was just a matter of getting a Canadian passport and a Social Insurance Number and I was set. Cant give you much advice on immigration though I have friends of working visas which seemed easy to get and my other buddy is going through the hell of permanent residency.

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Lucky bastard, lol.

PorkpieSamurai
11-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Yeah really want to emphasize to not get a ticket till your pretty sure you can score a job with your skill set. At least in Vancouver its overflowing with fresh artists looking for their lucky break.

HeadSmell
11-06-2009, 06:10 AM
http://www.dznd.net/Webpics/PerthNuked.jpg

Let's blow this sht up :)

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 06:15 AM
hahaha HeadSmell, nice one. Nice work you make that I assume??

R10k
11-06-2009, 06:18 AM
...and also in an indie game dev group thats wrapping up a small indie game.

Online, or with guys in Perth?

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Online, or with guys in Perth?

Group of guys here in perth, surprisingly.

R10k
11-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Are you on the Pigmi (http://www.pigmi.org/page/home) list?

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Are you on the Pigmi (http://www.pigmi.org/page/home) list?

List?? I know the head of the project, Jon Hayward, is involved with them and the IGDA perth chapter. You into the indie game dev scene I take it??

R10k
11-06-2009, 06:37 AM
I am, yep :) I take it you're working with Jon on the project for IGF?

EDIT: Funny actually, I've very likely met you before at an event.

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 06:39 AM
I am, yep :) I take it you're working with Jon on the project for IGF?

EDIT: Funny actually, I've very likely met you before at an event.

Yeh thats classic, small world ay, possibly have but ive only been to a few of them, still new to the scene. Unfortunately we missed deadline, but were going to have it ready for the iparty end of year meetup thing.

R10k
11-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Cool, I'll try and make it to have a look :) Watch for the tall thin guy!

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Cool, I'll try and make it to have a look :) Watch for the tall thin guy!

hahaha, will do, il pm you closer to the time and see if your gna make it down!

MikeNash
11-06-2009, 07:41 AM
I moved to Brisbane from Perth to work since Perth has well under developed CGI industry. GET THE F---CKK OUT !! hahaha

HeadSmell
11-06-2009, 08:06 AM
i'd be down to catch up for a beer and see if anyone is interested in some light 3d projects

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Post removed by user

Shibalba
11-06-2009, 04:29 PM
i'd be down to catch up for a beer and see if anyone is interested in some light 3d projects

Wiked, sounds good to me, il drop you a pm with some contact details and we can get the ball rolling.

Shibalba
12-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, sent some PM's out to everyone from this thread that said they were keen to get together and work on a small project, let me know if ur still keen!

TheJob
12-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Yea, I'm from Perth and still in Perth. I'm going to be studying Graphics Design in Tafe... And then finish of in Uni. I wanted to do Animation but can barely find any courses in Perth that are running. Might do something online.

Wish there was more in Perth. Damn you WA... "Wait Awhile".

BrikProductions
06-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm from Perth.
I'm pretty amateur though, still going to school.

Artybel
06-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Hi I'm from Perth and I live in Perth too :) It would be great to meet fellow Perthites interested in working on any special projects (or even not very special projects :p )
I'm going to the Supanova expo so if anyone wants to meet up there let me know I'm going for the whole weekend, also got some ex-tafe friends going who work in illustration, concept design and 3d.

Artybel
06-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Yea, I'm from Perth and still in Perth. I'm going to be studying Graphics Design in Tafe... And then finish of in Uni. I wanted to do Animation but can barely find any courses in Perth that are running. Might do something online.

Wish there was more in Perth. Damn you WA... "Wait Awhile". that's so true! I've been looking online and I've found there are so many more courses in the US and Canada

darkEyes
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
For anyone in Perth (Or WA for that matter) you should consider joining WAnimate (The West Australian animation association) --- we run all kinds of events and are always happy to talk to local people who are looking to get into animation as well as folks already working here.

Check it out at http://www.wanimate.org.au

PorkpieSamurai
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
that's so true! I've been looking online and I've found there are so many more courses in the US and Canada
I started out in Perth at Tafe doing graphic design and to be honest its the only thing I really needed to get going. You learn the fundamentals of color, form and composition there which is what they seem to skip over a lot in the more pricey institutions. Unless your the sort of person who needs structured learning, I would suggest getting the fundamentals down and then taking time off to teach yourself 3d with the aid of dvds and tutorials.
No one cares about what school you went to as long as you can show off some good skills to potential employers.

Artybel
06-08-2010, 03:22 AM
For anyone in Perth (Or WA for that matter) you should consider joining WAnimate (The West Australian animation association) --- we run all kinds of events and are always happy to talk to local people who are looking to get into animation as well as folks already working here.

Check it out at http://www.wanimate.org.au

Thanks darkEyes, does that apply to people like me who are maybe more 2D and more into illustration/concept design? You can check out my deviant profile to see more of my work as I haven't managed to update my gallery here yet http://artybel.deviantart.com/

darkEyes
06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Absolutely - in fact our next event is on the 24th of June and is a talk plus networking event (Sign up for the newsletter on the website and/or join the Facebook group for all the details)

It's a free event so you can come along and see what we do and meet other people from the industry :)

axiomatic
06-09-2010, 03:30 AM
I started out in Perth at Tafe doing graphic design and to be honest its the only thing I really needed to get going. You learn the fundamentals of color, form and composition there which is what they seem to skip over a lot in the more pricey institutions. Unless your the sort of person who needs structured learning, I would suggest getting the fundamentals down and then taking time off to teach yourself 3d with the aid of dvds and tutorials.
No one cares about what school you went to as long as you can show off some good skills to potential employers.

Agreed.

The only thing I'd add about the various institutions in Perth is that education here is relatively cheap and, as Chris intimated, can provide a structure around which the less-iron-willed can hang their self-directed learning. It can also give exposure to new faces and new ideas while actually having a degree can help with immigration/visa's later in life ... as we don't all have Canadian passports :(

But the essence of everything I hear said about starting out anywhere applies just as much to people in Perth: Passion/dedication is the fundamental pre-requisite as everything else follows from there, so get back to work.

BrikProductions
06-09-2010, 05:37 AM
So you guys recommend Tafe? I did a VET their last year and it was awesome, I plan on doing it full time next year. I'm doing a hell of a lot of tutorials right now for 3ds Max just in my spare time because I want to do well.

Would you guys recommend doing a uni course as well? Or do you think its a bit unnecessary?

axiomatic
06-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Depends how long you think you'll need to spend getting good and what your requirements are.

Although i'd be tempted to enrol at Curtin, even if it was part time in a single unit of digital design, so you could have 24hr access to the 30+ machines with maya/mr just sitting there day in, day out, waiting to be your render slaves.

Artybel
06-09-2010, 07:22 AM
I got a bachellor of fine art degree from curtin & I found that fundamentals in colour & drawing were invaluable when I went to tafe later on. I found tafe to be better @ helping to develop varied & practical skills though because it was covering such wide range their was limited time to focus on developing specific skills, which is where doing your own self education via web, forums, tutorials, books, magazines, dvds & meeting with like minded people is invaluable. Another thing central tafe don't use pcs so the software they used was not what is commonly used in industry, ie Cinema 4D, which I have not seen used in any 3D company!

BrikProductions
06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
BTW...

Another thing central tafe don't use pcs so the software they used was not what is commonly used in industry, ie Cinema 4D, which I have not seen used in any 3D company!

When I went to Central Tafe last year (the one in Claisebrook) the computers I used had the newest versions of 3ds Max and Maya on them, so maybe they have changed since you were last their?

Artybel
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
BTW...

When I went to Central Tafe last year (the one in Claisebrook) the computers I used had the newest versions of 3ds Max and Maya on them, so maybe they have changed since you were last their?

I went to the one on Aberdeen Street, and did an Advanced Dip in Graphic Design there last year. I was wondering about what the other tafe was like. I was really annoyed how in my final year coz I wanted to major in Illustration I had to do Multimedia which I hadn't done the previous year, so I was way behind everyone else then to top it off I found that the software that we were to use was not industry recommended and that most game studios use PCs, where as we only worked on Macs for the course. I ended up dropping the multimedia unit to complete later so that I could focus on illustration and concept design. You should get as much education as you can while you are still young, and the relationships you form with students and lecturers are a boon to your developing career. A lot of graduates have since gone on to form companies together. So I reckon go to tafe and start a career as soon as you can! :thumbsup:

PorkpieSamurai
06-13-2010, 07:55 PM
or go to tafe then get out of Perth
:)

BrikProductions
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
I definitely plan on doing it, and is what's wrong with Perth? The trading hours are the best ;).

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.