PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Full Sail University Environment Modeling Demo Reel - Lucas Morgan

surreal-reality
10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey All, I've just finished my education at Full Sail University and I've also finished my first official demo reel as well!

I'm excited to be done but I'm already ready to start afresh on a new project or something of the nature.

I used paint effects, and Guruware's ivy plugin for 3ds max and did the modeling and rendering in Autodesk Maya with Mental ray.

I'd like to hear what you all think (critiques or feedback) on my 2009 Environment Modeling Demo reel.

Thanks!

Lucas Morgan 2009 Environment Modeling Demo Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb3Q61NgskQ)

p.s. Currently I do not have internet, I'm about to move back home. So I'm going to have to stick with keeping this on my youtube account for now, it's not updated on my website yet but will be very soon.

Check there anyways if you'd like, it's in my sig.

Lucas

FrizzleFry0
10-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Congratulations on graduating and producing a great environment modeling reel. I look forward to seeing your next project. :beer:

surreal-reality
10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Jared, I really could not have pulled it off with out your help. thanks again for the render farm assistance and Nuke tips.

Lucas

mistasam02
10-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Holy crap dude. O_O That was very impressive! Your first scene was almost photorealistic! I would say good luck with your job search but I doubt you'll need it with a reel like that. Keep it up!

:bowdown:

Whitmire
10-31-2009, 12:26 AM
That first shot looks pretty sick man.

Lovin' the vines.

NickWhitmire
10-31-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes, i concur with brian on the first shot. Sunlight looks great and diggin the vegetation. Very well done. good luck

jschieck
10-31-2009, 12:53 AM
very nice lighting and textures on the first scene and a good clean look on the second.

my only critique on the second one is where the water meets up with the rocks could use a little texture work, but being from full sail i know texturing that second scene isn't a requirement so nice job! :)

good luck with the hunt!

surreal-reality
10-31-2009, 09:12 AM
thank you for the replies and feedback everyone, it is very much appreciated!

2 things I wish I had time to fix were the horizon line and the water in the second asset. I literally froze the water for fear of it moving to fast or to slow etc because I had time to render the sequence only once. I definitely see what you mean about the texturing on the channel where it meets the water. it needs more wetness and moss and whatnot.

Thanks!

zres
10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
wow, very impressive !!!

Kskovbo
11-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Hey

Just checked out your reel. Great stuff! Really like your first scene!

I am studying at VFS at the moment. I am doing a hoovercraft crashed in a jungle for my final reel. and If you dont mind me asking. How long was the rendertime for your vegation shots and how many polys?
I use Thomas luft Ivy Generator my self, but the amount of polygons it brings into Maya afterwards is insane. how did you go about minimizing that?

surreal-reality
11-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the comment! very much appreciated.

Thomas Luft's IvyGen is quite awesome in the amount of geometry in creates. 3ds max handle's it a bit better with the adaptive degradation too. If you look around the settings, and I'm sure you have, there's a settings for how many sides each vine tube has, I set that to 4 or 3 depending on distance from camera. Of course use a plane for the ivy too. A flat plane is fine, and you can give the texture itself a very strong bump map or normal map to fake the natural curve to the leaf.

For anything close up I recommend smoothing any vine leaf/planes once and giving them physical arc. flat leaf planes up close can kill it.

Basically, tailor it to your shot.

If you need dense vines covering the ground, I'd go with paint effects. use a vine preset, then tweak it and of course change the textures after converting to poly's. Tends to be less poly count, and still have that density you're looking for.

One other thing, if you plan on using ambient occlusion, and you have vine leafs or tree leafs whose original geometry is a square, beware, AO doesn't respect that and I have no idea how to get it to do so. It's kind of annoying :argh:

anyways, good luck!

Lucas

simyevil2010
11-28-2009, 04:44 PM
very very good work i like it 2 much

good luck 4 ever :beer:

kiittea
11-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Brilliant Opening shot!!.. Love it man, Although there was a bit of over exposure in the next shot, But really well done. You could play with more lighting variation in the second scene :)
Good luck with your job hunt

surreal-reality
11-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the critiques! your comments were very much appreciated.

I won't lie, the second scene had a bit less priority than the second one, I originally wasn't even planning on texturing it

sogun
11-29-2009, 10:51 AM
:-oo I would hire you as our enviralment artist immediately.

surreal-reality
12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
heh thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.