View Full Version : Animation & Modeling:critique the modeling and animation

latsch
08-15-2003, 03:21 PM
PLEASE EDIT AND ADD WIREFRAMES AND THE SOFTWARE USED AS ACCORDING TO THE RULES
http://www.thelastpixel.com/don_divx.avi

PLEASE EDIT AND ADD WIREFRAMES AND THE SOFTWARE USED AS ACCORDING TO THE RULES

Volker
08-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Latsch, since I'm not a modeler, I'm not really going to comment on that stuff. The animation looks very stop motion like. Lots of things are really poping, and nothing is very smooth. I'm guessing there's just a few too many keys in there. Try simplifying it a bit, and pulling some of the keys out. Then see what you have, and then try to slowly add some secondary action and such. Hope this helps, Want to see an UPDATE!!!!

~Zach

amo_77
08-15-2003, 08:23 PM
latsch, I like the look of your character. As I'm not a modeler, that's about all I can say.

The animation has some good expression. I like the bit at the end. I'm assuming the character is mocking there. I think you can push that even further. Countering the body language with different eye/face movements and expressions. Or maybe exaggerating even more. I like the poses you've chosen... they're very expressive and interesting. But I think you can push them and yet still express cynicism (if that is what the character is expressing).

There is a section toward the beginning that really doesn't sit right for me. When your character says "You can act like a man", he changes direction of his body twice. He turns to his right and gestures on "You can act like" and turns back on "la man". I'm not clear as to why you chose that move. Are you looking at reference footage in which the actor/character does this? It doesn't serve a purpose in your current characterization. I would expect this guy to be very focused on the character to which he's speaking. And it's such a quick (but still decisive) move that it doesn't seem to meet any purpose. If you're looking to move the legs more, perhaps keep them facing the same plane but shift his weight within that plane instead of turning his body.

Facial expressions are good and lip synch seems pretty good. I think his brow should convey more anger/frustration in the beginning... he seems a bit weaker than his words.

Keep it up. I want to see more.

- A

dmcgrath
08-16-2003, 08:43 PM
The movements are pretty nice, the facial expressions are pretty much dead on. I do see a problem with the way he shifts his feet though. The character needs to put more weight on those feet. I don't see him going from a toe-out pose, to a pigeon-toed stance. It might also be nice to add a prop, like a chair he can lean on.

About the soundtrack itself, it sounds a bit like it's two pieces of a conversation taped together. I know that isn't important to your actual animation skills, but it is a little distracting to me.

As far as the modeling and texturing, it looks fine. If you want to post a wireframe of your character that would be cool. But from here, it looks fine how it is.

mehdianim
08-16-2003, 09:22 PM
The model is great, I'd exxagerate the opening of the mouth a bit more. Also his feet move around but it doesn't feel quite like his weight is shifting accordingly. If you look at his sips they don't really move that much whereas the upper body is more animated. Logically the motion should come from the hips. The acting could be a bit stronger too. If you recall the film Marlon brando is pretty animated in that scene, there is no dead time.
Looks pretty cool so far.

mefestofel
08-17-2003, 10:03 PM
i would have to agree about the weight not being righ with the feet moving so much. And the mouth could be a bit more open. The one thing that i would add it that eye brows in the end look gread but they dont seem to have the right range in the begining. When he's mad the eye brows should show it more.

lildragon
08-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Doesn't anyone read the rules anymore? I'm going to start axing threads from this point on, I left this one because it contains valuable info. Next time PLEASE read the rules, and that goes for everyone else who is reading.

Thank you.

-lild

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.