PDA

View Full Version : PRMan -> Cg

chips__
08-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Heya

I was just wondering if someone could tell me how difficult it is to convert renderman shaders to Cg?

ajk48n
08-15-2003, 10:07 PM
What exactly do you mean? Renderman shaders are used on animation scenes for the materials and textures, etc. They are then rendered in a renderman compliant renderer. Do you want to use a renderman shader in a different program?

chips__
08-16-2003, 04:16 AM
yup, i want to rewrite my renderman shaders for the fx cards and run them close to realtime :D

ajk48n
08-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Well, I don't know if there's a way to explicitly do it, but you could use the same algorithms that you use in a renderman shader to create a shader that could be used by the card.
I guess a program could also be written, that would take the formulas in a renderman shader and automatically convert them into another shader of your choice.

rendermaniac
08-16-2003, 02:24 PM
There are some differences between cg and RenderMan. Last time I looked cg didn't support loops (may have changed), but did have proper structures which would be a nice addition to RenderMan.

I don't know if cg supports the overloaded dot product . either which is something used a lot in RenderMan.

Check out http://www.cgshaders.org/ or the nvidia websites to find out for sure though.

Simon

chips__
08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
i just walked in the door with a fx5900 ultra card, so i'll start playing around :D we'll know soon

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.