PDA

View Full Version : compositing books?

JayWalker
10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Im looking for any books that are a good resource for the creation and compositing for multi pass renders. are there any that anyone knows of. thank you for your time.

Zabander
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Im looking for any books that are a good resource for the creation and compositing for multi pass renders. are there any that anyone knows of. thank you for your time.

Are u new in compositting? if you are new i can recommend u to buy Compositing Visual Effects Essentials for the Aspiring Artist.
Also a very good book is Digital Compositing in Depth.

RogerWickes
11-03-2009, 04:05 AM
My publisher forces me to recommend my book, Foundation Blender Compositing, Apress, available nationwide (B&N) and online via Amazon and the Blender e-Shop (and my website rogewickes.com).

Blender is a multi-pass compositor and sequencer, and I try to give both adequate coverage (but I was limited to 450 pages), including using the 3D modeler for masks and overlays. DVD includes Blender itself, many mattes and assets, and all exercise files.

sundialsvc4
11-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the tip, Roger. To Amazon I shall go forthwith. (I don't think that you have anything to apologize for. A very appropriate recommend... "so-what if you wrote it.")

My "bible" (also taken from a tip given here) is The Art and Science of Digital Compositing, but it's quite a hefty read.

divideXzero
11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
The Art and Science of Digital Compositing +1

danielHinton
11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
The Art and Science of Digital Compositing +1

You probably won't need anything else, but if you do, Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn has a great section on compositing. And of course it's just a great book too.

JayWalker
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
seems like we have a winner. will The Art and Science of Digital Compositing in clude multi pass rendering?

danielHinton
11-15-2009, 08:27 PM
yes, it has several breakdowns from films like Episode I, I, Robot and Lord of the Rings, many of which include very interesting uses of multipass compositing.

beaker
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
seems like we have a winner. will The Art and Science of Digital Compositing in clude multi pass rendering?That book is really more of a "why do things work this way" book instead of a "how do I do it" book. So there aren't really tutorials for how to do stuff in specific applications. Mostly just concepts that work in most compositors.

magnoborgo
11-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Steve Wright's "Digital Compositing for Film and Video" is a great one. I would say that this one and the "the Art and Science of Digital compositing" complement each other.

If i had to choose only one to buy, i would go for Steve Wright.

Redsand1080
11-17-2009, 03:40 AM
Definitely 'The Art and Science of Digital Compositing.' If you read that book, and then go do tutorials to learn how to use a specific program like Nuke or Shake, that's a pretty solid fundamental knowledge of compositing. Plus just having a strong art backround in drawing and painting so you know what things actually look like. If you know what things look like and you have the technical knowledge of how to put them togather in a compositing app. you are good to go. Much easier 'typed' than 'done' I must say. :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2009, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.