PDA

View Full Version : Help me light my scene :)

MikeNash
10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

I'm doing little scene with these two characters, but I'm having trouble of trying to create some nice lighting to bring out the feeling of what their actions are saying.

The pose is really ruff right now, I'm just trying to find good angle and good lighting, I'm bit of newb to lighting and rendering.

The lighting setup I have is your typical 3 key lights using 3 photometric lights in 3dsmax/Mental ray with little FG.
Im using logarithmic photo exposure, that i have just tweaked contrast and brightness settings to get level of lighting i want.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/kravit43/44.jpg?t=1256859403

http://rs20cg.rapidshare.com/files/299580750/dl/44.jpg

ndeboar
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I can't really crit the lighting if you don't upload an example.

MikeNash
10-30-2009, 12:37 AM
link fixed :)

mister3d
10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Just buy any book about lighting people. It's a broad topic. In each of those camera setups you will need to make different, but still consistent lighting. Right now you may want to cut the fill lighting to bring more drama, as well as making lights smaller to add more dramatic shadows. The nose of the man in the 2-nd shot could be lit better, as it doesn't show the form too well. The third looks too flat.

playmesumch00ns
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
You need to choose your composition first, then light them. What sort of feeling do you want to convey?

tharrell
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Agree with what's been said above.

You're not going to come up with perfect lighting that works from any angle... at least not in any way that allows the lighting to tell a bit of the story and lead the viewer's eye.

Start here: Pick your composition. Where do you want the viewer's eye to rest? Make this the hottest or highest contrast point in the composition.

Your guy is pretty burly and it looks like there might be something a little sinister about him, so I'd probably start with having a fair bit of his face and features in shadow. Try to get some rimlights on your girl's curves. She's got em, so accentuate em.

Apart from that, what's the story you're telling? What are you trying to communicate? Light, color and shadow can inform all of that in short-hand.

Edit: your stuff looks pretty influenced by Boris Vallejo, so I'd probably google him to crib some quick ideas. Or Brom if you're going for something darker. Vallejo's kinda got a lock on impossibly burly/sexy fantasy types, and he's super prolific. You can find hundreds of images to study really quickly.

--T

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.