PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Rendering: Depth Map Shadows & Depth of Field (Maya 2008)

animNY
10-28-2009, 08:01 PM
I have two problems with Hardware Rendering in Maya 2008:

Depth Map Shadows are extremely jagged. Is there a way to smooth out and/or soften the Depth Map Shadows? Ray Trace Shadows donít show up at all. Or is there another way to render shadows using Hardware Rendering?

I canít get Depth of Field to render (I want objects in the background to be out of focus).

I just started using Maya a few months ago, so I apologize if these are obvious questions. Thanks in advance for any help!

Michael

Theodocious
10-30-2009, 01:09 AM
raytrace shadows and depth of field just aren't going to work with hardware rendering, period. not even the best quadros, as far I know, will do raytrace rendering. You are reliant on your cpus for that stuff. you may be able to force shadow AA for smoothing through your video card control panel, but it depends on the card. you do understand that hardware rendering only uses your video card, right? Most of the effects you want are better in software and mental ray.

animNY
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks Theodocious!

I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I like Maya Hardware Rendering because itís fast, and, so far, itís the only one that works. What do I mean?

Iíve posted three images of I scene I rendered at:

www.sp3d.net/MayaTest.htm (http://www.sp3d.net/MayaTest.htm)

The top Hardware-Rendered image is good enough if I were able to make the shadows smooth and add depth of field.

The Software-Rendered version below ignores the textured NURBS surface in the background. Also, I donít know how to smooth the models.

The Mental-Ray-Rendered version at the bottom Ė I donít know where to begin. Itís hideous and unusable.

I know the problem is my lack of familiarity with Maya. If anyone could let me know where I could learn about rendering in Maya 2008, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Michael

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.