PDA

View Full Version : High-poly modelling/customising techniques

ArjunM
10-28-2009, 08:08 AM
A lot of my hard-body models are low-poly, with bump and transparency maps as shortcuts, but when I try to go high-poly (like a certain artist who does European tanks, or the current thread on the CH-53), it's a daunting task, and always goes horribly wrong or takes forever, and then needs a total reboot. Are there specific techniques for modelling such subjects? I've never used Booleans because of their catastrophic results, which take a long time to clean up. Recently, I tried to model a Mi Mi-24 Hind helicopter but several aspects near its periphery are so tough, I have to ask for a little help. I can get the basic blocks (with subdivisions) right, but modelling small details at the periphery as well as cuts across the model has been a problem. I regularly study the Sea King modelling tutorial, but following it to a T is tough, so I need more hints. In case I wish to customise the model, what can I do for best results?

zipel
11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
When modeling something like a tank i usually do it this way
1. block it out using blueprints(general shape)
2. detailing using photos(lots of them... :))

i found this 3 part tutorial usefull(can't find the links to 1 and 3, but you'll find them easilly)

http://3dessentials.com/tutorials/learn-the-inorganic-modeling-fundamentals-in-3ds-max-with-hardsuface-modeling-guru-grant-warwick-part-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+3dEssentials+%283dEssentials%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.